FuroraCeltica
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6686 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 57 of 69
03 April 2007 at 4:50am | IP Logged 
I read somewhere that in early childhood the brain is in a state of "hyper-plasticity" i.e. designed to be especially open to absorbing new skills. In adulthood, it is not as flexible, so learning new skills is harder, but not impossible. It is just kids get an advantage over us oldies!
1 person has voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6371 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 58 of 69
04 April 2007 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
Linguamor wrote:
This article discusses how to quickly begin learning a language with a tutor.
http://www.languageimpact.com/articles/gt/kickstrt.htm

This article discusses language learning with a tutor for the non-beginner.
http://www.languageimpact.com/articles/gt/nonbegnr.htm

Excellent articles Linguamor. I'm still reading them, but the first one you list here has a lot of very useful ideas of what to do with a tutor, and more specific examples of TPR. Thanks!

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7026 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 59 of 69
04 April 2007 at 10:06pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
Excellent articles Linguamor. I'm still reading them, but the first one you list here has a lot of very useful ideas of what to do with a tutor, and more specific examples of TPR. Thanks!

Don't be afraid to summarize them for us if you get a chance ;)

Darobat
Diglot
Joined 7009 days ago

754 posts - 770 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: Latin

Message 60 of 69
04 April 2007 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
That second article (for non-beginners) is incredible. The introduction describing the target reader nearly perfectly describes where I'm at in my Russian studies.

Time to keep reading.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6371 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 

Message 61 of 69
05 April 2007 at 10:39am | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
Don't be afraid to summarize them for us if you get a chance ;)

Heh heh, slacker:) I'll make you a deal. If you start a thread on how to use tutors, and pull together some of the good posts already made on this forum, I'll write a summary.

Darobat wrote:
That second article (for non-beginners) is incredible.

Maybe Darobat can be convinced to summarize the second article in luke's new thread?

leosmith
United States
Joined 6371 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 

Message 62 of 69
05 April 2007 at 12:45pm | IP Logged 
Linguamor wrote:
This article discusses how to quickly begin learning a language with a tutor.
http://www.languageimpact.com/articles/gt/kickstrt.htm

I just had to post this exerpt from the above article:
Quote:

When you first start trying to carry on extended talk, it can be agonizing. Eventually it gets easier. What makes it easier? Practice. Lots and lots of practice. Now your speech will be--well--it will be your speech. You'll sound like someone who is just beginning, with great effort, to speak the language. Expect to make countless "mistakes". Believe it or not, the main thing which will decrease your mistakes is not being corrected every time you make one, but simply talking and talking and talking, while all the time continuing to be exposed to speech that you can understand.

My stepmom, perhaps the most skilled ESL teacher trainer in my home state, gave me hell for hiring a conversation tutor, and not allowing said tutor to correct me. Vindication!

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6764 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 63 of 69
05 April 2007 at 1:04pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:

Quote:
Believe it or not, the main thing which will decrease your mistakes is not being corrected every time you make one, but simply talking and talking and talking, while all the time continuing to be exposed to speech that you can understand.

My stepmom, perhaps the most skilled ESL teacher trainer in my home state, gave me hell for hiring a conversation tutor, and not allowing said tutor to correct me. Vindication!

I don't know. I've been talking uncorrected English, while exposed to oodles and oodles of comprehensible input, for more than two decades, and I still make too many mistakes.

One either needs to self-correct or be corrected. It may not be critical in the beginning, when just the act of speaking is helpful in itself and too much correcting may interfere more than help, but eventually it has to be done or you'll simply have to live with where you end up, which won't be perfect.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6371 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 

Message 64 of 69
05 April 2007 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
It may not be critical in the beginning

Correct. That's what the article says, and that's what I meant. Eventually, a certain amount of correction may be useful, but I probably won't be using a tutor by then.

This discussion contains 69 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version