Spain
Joined 6705 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 65 of 69
05 April 2007 at 6:40pm | IP Logged 
Another thing with this is that it is all too easy to grow fond of your own mistakes. Even if you hear everybody around you expressing some things in a slightly different way, you can delude yourself thinking they are just alternative ways of saying the same thing, or personal style or something.

I'd prefer to be corrected as early as possible myself. Crude awakenings are anavoidable, but they are much cruder the longer they are in coming.

Edited by Hencke on 05 April 2007 at 6:41pm

1 person has voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6754 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 66 of 69
05 April 2007 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
Hencke wrote:
Another thing with this is that it is all too easy to grow fond of your own mistakes. ...

I'd prefer to be corrected as early as possible myself.

One offsetting mechanism in the beginning is that there is more self-correcting taking place due to heightened awareness of the language in the early stages of learning, and for the old-timers from the study of grammar often taking place during this stage.

What happens later, I would ascribe to reduced awareness of the language. Unless one makes a conscious decision to continue improving the language, once communication barriers are substantially reduced, the tendency to self-correct due to being constantly aware of the language will drop significantly.

As one example, I never seem to have enough time to locate a good English grammar book, even though I don't own any and could really use one. On the other hand, I somehow ended up buying 6 German grammar books over the last year, plus a couple of Italian and French ones.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7016 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 67 of 69
05 April 2007 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
I never seem to have enough time to locate a good English grammar book.

Your written English seems quite good to me.

On the topic of correction by tutors. I'd think that you would want the tutor to analyze whether the error was because of lack of knowledge, or lack of practice, or just a slip. For instance, if your performance would be okay if the tutor stopped you and said, "can you repeat that"?, then she doesn't need to "school you" on your mistake. If she sees a pattern of errors, it seems you'd want her to educate you and come up with a new awareness of your shortcoming and some drills so you can practice doing things correctly.

One caveat. You want a competent tutor. For instance, if you are being tutored by a non-native speaker who still makes plenty of mistakes, perhaps simply focusing on communication would be a more fitting use of your time together, unless your errors are egregious and you want help.

I don't understand why someone wouldn't want their tutor to correct them. Is it simply that the correction is an interruption that's way beyond one's current capabilities and the tutor doesn't offer a plan for remediation?

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6754 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 68 of 69
05 April 2007 at 11:20pm | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
I don't understand why someone wouldn't want their tutor to correct them. Is it simply that the correction is an interruption that's way beyond one's current capabilities and the tutor doesn't offer a plan for remediation?

I'd say simply because it's an interruption, or rather interruptions, many of them. Think of two possible ways of writing a post in a language you are learning.

You can write more or less as it comes, with some rewording of sentences on the fly, but mostly as it comes. Once written, you can work on polishing the post, fishing out all the lexical and grammatical errors you can find, sharpening your ideas and presentation, etc.

Or you can write one sentence, polish it over and over, until you are quite satisfied with it, then move on to the next. You will probably have your thought process broken if you use this approach.

One way to have the cake and eat it with oral sessions would be to tape them and then go over them with the tutor, who could point out the mistakes during review. Otherwise, if a session becomes more about the mistakes you make than about actually speaking, it may not be as useful for practicing spoken language, but will be more of a grammar correction session. Taping would be a pretty cumbersome process, of course, so in practice I would simply expect a few serious errors relevant to one's learning stage to be corrected in any given session, but not each and every one.

Edited by frenkeld on 06 April 2007 at 3:36pm

Linguamor
Decaglot
United States
Joined 6429 days ago

469 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Danish, French, Norwegian, Portuguese, Dutch

Message 69 of 69
06 April 2007 at 3:47am | IP Logged 
luke wrote:

Most errors will not need to be corrected. A language learner makes an error when he or she has not yet acquired that particular part of the lexico-grammar. Accuracy improves as the language learner acquires more and more of the lexico-grammatical system of the target language.

For more about errors and the stages the language learner goes through, see

1.3.2 You can't speak well unless you can speak poorly.

http://www.languageimpact.com/articles/gt/nonbegnr.htm

Edited by Linguamor on 06 April 2007 at 4:08am

This discussion contains 69 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version