aru-aru
Triglot
Latvia
Joined 6251 days ago

244 posts - 331 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, Russian

Message 65 of 195
09 April 2007 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
obviously some testing IS needed, otherwise - how would we compare which method produced the best results? what is important then, is to really stick with 30 minutes. if it's Pimsleur with 75% of 30 minute audio lesson spent on pauses and english instruction, it still is 30 minutes.
i prefer to be beaten in a fair fight
is listening to a radio station or audiobook or watching tv in the target language just for getting used to how the language sounds allowed? i mean, outside those 30 minutes?
1 person has voted this message useful

LorenzoGuapo
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6238 days ago

79 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: French

Message 66 of 195
09 April 2007 at 4:11pm | IP Logged 
So are we doing this for languages which we have studied a little bit before or a language in which we have no prior knowledge?
For example I would like to increase Portuguese and French which I have studied a little.
But I would like to try something new like Dutch but this language is similar to English.

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6241 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 67 of 195
09 April 2007 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
I don't like hearing about competition, fair fight, getting beaten, "allowed" etc. No such thing as a fair fight. If you turn it into a competition, people are likely to cheat. Some people might thrive in this atmosphere, I find it disagreeable. I had enough of that in school. I have plenty of free time right now and I intend to use it. I'm not starting a language purely for short-term fun. I intend to continue studying it.

I am starting with Japanese this Saturday. I will open a log entry and post observations what happens after the first 42X30 minutes is over. That's 21 hours. Practically nothing. I will also post after the 6 weeks and possibly later. Most likely I won't notice much of a difference in the beginning. My prior knowledge is zero. I will not post about Spanish as it would get too complicated. I reserve the right to change my mind and do as I please.

This is my last post in this thread. Try to have fun with this. That's the best way to learn.

MeshGearFox
United States
Joined 6489 days ago

316 posts - 344 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 68 of 195
09 April 2007 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
Well, I don't really like the sound of Basque, and I doubt I could get anywhere with Finnish in 6 weeks, so I guess it's down to Icelandic and Welsh.

Would anyone consider it cheating if I ran through the first lesson in some Welsh course, and then the first lesson in that Icelandic.org site just so I could get a feel for which I like better?

Also, in regards to welsh, there seem to be northern and southern dialects that vary quite a bit. Which one is recommended?

Edited by MeshGearFox on 09 April 2007 at 6:28pm

karinatereza
Diglot
New Zealand
karinabohle.blogspot
Joined 6233 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC1
Studies: Mandarin

Message 69 of 195
09 April 2007 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
is it too late to participate in the challenge now?

sergiu
Diglot
Romania
freewebs.com/invata_
Joined 6233 days ago

105 posts - 108 votes 
Speaks: Romanian*, English
Studies: German

Message 70 of 195
09 April 2007 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
It isn't too late to join in ,and it would be fair if people would start a whole new language and not improve on another one.
I accepted this challenge not as a competition.We all know that competitions involve money and the language should be the same for all of us.
It is simply the passion for languages ,the free time ,and the idea that I could test my method on a language I never even heard before! (Turkish is very strange for us)
I am confident that my method will work with Turkish too, this project is only going to prove me right,as for the myth of spending years in learning a language,I never believed in it anyway ,since it has been broken so many times ,I want to be the next to break it.
The hard thing is that we also have to balance two languages,the new one and the one we are already studying,and make sure that the latter ,gets more attention than the new one.
I am just curious about the tests,because in 6 weeks you can't be expected to be too good in the language,and the test should be very very easy.
Since this is not a competition ,I suggest we learn no more than 10 words in those 30 minutes(that shouldn't be too much).I asked about the number of words per day be cause I don't want to make too much of a word vortex in my mind,in case you want to learn more words a day.
And after the learning session ,you can use the spare time to watch TV and read something just to improve fluency.(of course within the 30 minutes)
In 6 weeks I want to say that I can understand a little Turkish and that I can write and even speak some.

MeshGearFox
United States
Joined 6489 days ago

316 posts - 344 votes 
Studies: German, Russian

Message 71 of 195
09 April 2007 at 11:58pm | IP Logged 
If it were a competition, I don't think people would cheat. It's like NaNoWriMo. Sure, you CAN fake your word count, but a week later, you feel like a complete idiot for doing so.

Of course, in this case, if you claim to have become fluent in Japanese in six weeks, and, well, lied, the entire forum asking 'how?' will probably make it pretty apparent when you can't give an actual answer ;)

Also, I don't get the thirty-minute time limit. That doesn't help anything, other than keeping people at the same pace. Realistically if you want to see what sort of interesting techniques emerge, there shouldn't be any sort of time limit. People with more free time can come up with elaborate and length processes, and people with less time can find new ways of studying in the brief moments of down-time. I would recommend saying how much you studied each day, though.

iieee
Groupie
United States
dreaminginturkish.bl
Joined 6381 days ago

78 posts - 80 votes 
Studies: Turkish, German

Message 72 of 195
10 April 2007 at 12:29am | IP Logged 
I'm not burnt out on the language I'm learning now so I won't distract myself with another language, but I'm stoked to see there will be a couple more Turkish learners on this board, at least for a couple weeks!

I have a list of some great online resources here.

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions about Turkish, or you can ask on my blog which can be accessed through the above link as well.

Good luck, whether you're studying Turkish or not! Sounds like a lot of fun to do this as a group...

well, maybe I could fit in a little Persian.... NO! Stop tempting me!!!

This discussion contains 195 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version