Australia
myspace.com/amywiles
Joined 6780 days ago

504 posts - 538 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: SpanishB2

Message 1 of 31
07 April 2007 at 3:06pm | IP Logged 
As I stumble along through the highs and lows of language learning I often get to a point with my target language (currently russian) where I just can't seem to take it any more and I need a bit of a mental holiday. When I get to this point I like to keep up my enthusiasm for language studying in general by "dabbling" in another language for a week or so, just learning a few words and having fun getting my tongue around strange and unusual sounds.

I'm there now. And at the moment I seem to be drawn towards Icelandic and Greenlandic. I have had no exposure to these languages what so ever (particularly greenlandic which I had never heard of until a week or so ago) so the mystery has sucked me right in. They are both beautiful and fascinating countries that I will definately travel to in the not so distant future...so which would you recommend me dabbling in this time?

I'm interested to know if there are major similarities between the two languages (I would imagine the two countries share a similar history, correct me if i'm wrong!) and which of the two languages are considered to be more difficult from an english speakers perspective.
1 person has voted this message useful

Linguamor
Decaglot
United States
Joined 6439 days ago

469 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Danish, French, Norwegian, Portuguese, Dutch

Message 2 of 31
07 April 2007 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
The languages of Iceland and Greenland are totally unrelated. Icelandic is a Scandinavian language. Greenlandic is related to Inuit. If you're looking for a language in the area that is relatively easy, I'd suggest Norwegian. Unlike Icelandic, which resembles the language of Norway as it was 1000 years ago, Norwegian is easy to learn. You might also consider Danish, which is an official language in Greenland.

Edited by Linguamor on 07 April 2007 at 3:43pm

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6836 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 31
07 April 2007 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
ymapazagain wrote:
...so which would you recommend me dabbling in this time?

As far as I know, it's difficult to obtain many resources for Icelandic, so for Greenlandic...

MeshGearFox
United States
Joined 6516 days ago

316 posts - 344 votes 
Studies: German, Russian

Message 5 of 31
07 April 2007 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
Inuit is similar, though, and has an amount of resources available.

By the way, how hard is Inuit?

ymapazagain
Australia
myspace.com/amywiles
Joined 6780 days ago

504 posts - 538 votes 

Message 7 of 31
08 April 2007 at 10:05am | IP Logged 
Linguamor wrote:
The languages of Iceland and Greenland are totally unrelated.

Haha, well...i've learned my lesson on making assumptions! I know quite a few places where i'd be able to find recources for icelandic, but simply for the curiosity factor I think i'm leaning towards greenlandic.

http://www.geocities.com/jerry_mccarthy_uk/grnintro1.htm

This is a good website for some basic grammar and vocab, and there's a link to a good dictionary as well. If anyone is able to find a link to some audio samples for pronunciation that would be fantastic!

So i'm off to pain my brain on some new and wonderful rules and vocab!

ymapazagain
Australia
myspace.com/amywiles
Joined 6780 days ago

504 posts - 538 votes 

Message 8 of 31
08 April 2007 at 10:08am | IP Logged 
Schaumgebremst wrote:
although Icelandic vikings were the first to inhabit the place except for the inuits.

That may have been where I got the idea from, I knew there was some viking history in both of the countries so my mind just put two and two together and unfortunately came up with 7...oops

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version