Joined 6946 days ago

212 posts - 217 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Italian*, FrenchB1, EnglishC1
Studies: GermanB1, Japanese

Message 9 of 57
07 May 2007 at 8:06am | IP Logged 
japkorengchi wrote:

Even though Korean is more difficult, I receive so much help from sympathetic native speakers and they all help me to reach a new stage.

Virtually NO Japanese came to my aid voluntarily on the other hand.

In language learning, if the people is more friendly and helping, you will conquer the language someday. However, if they aren’t, you will just end up wasting so much time to speak a language and being discouraged and looked down on.

Well, it really depends on whom you meet. I have never had any problems in being helped by Japanese people to improve my knowledge of the language.
4 persons have voted this message useful

SamD
Triglot
United States
Joined 6453 days ago

823 posts - 987 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 10 of 57
08 May 2007 at 9:50am | IP Logged 
There are probably many more people studying Korean than Japanese. Perhaps the novelty factor makes a difference.
1 person has voted this message useful

japkorengchi
Hong Kong
Joined 6474 days ago

334 posts - 355 votes 

Message 11 of 57
08 May 2007 at 11:01am | IP Logged 
Have Korean learners outnumber their Japanese counterparts in the States? In China I think Japanese still holds the seat for the most popular foreign language.

SamD wrote:
There are probably many more people studying Korean than Japanese. Perhaps the novelty factor makes a difference.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6233 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 12 of 57
08 May 2007 at 11:17am | IP Logged 
I suspect he typed it backwards. I've never met anyone in person who's learning Korean, either in Switzerland, or in the States. I was last in the States this January, and while there were quite a lot of resources for learning Japanese, there were next to none for Korean.

japkorengchi wrote:
Have Korean learners outnumber their Japanese counterparts in the States? In China I think Japanese still holds the seat for the most popular foreign language.

SamD wrote:

furrykef
United States
furrykef.com/
Joined 6266 days ago

681 posts - 862 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Latin, Italian

Message 13 of 57
09 May 2007 at 2:20am | IP Logged 
Between video games, manga, and anime, there are definitely far more people learning Japanese. ;) As for how many people are putting in a serious effort, that's a different matter, though Japanese probably still wins. (I'm one of those relatively uncommon guys who decided to flirt with Japanese one day because of video games, but actually became serious and determined when he saw how hard it actually is, instead of running away like a little schoolgirl. ;))

It could be reasonably argued that I don't qualify to make this statement as I haven't studied Korean at all, but I'd imagine the kanji problem with Japanese is much harder than the grammar problem with Korean. Hanja are a pretty advanced topic for Korean, whereas kanji are essential for learning written Japanese. Even if you have to memorize many hanja, you can do it at a relatively slow pace, whereas I'm more or less diving into kanji to try to get the most nightmarish part of it over with. So, for the most part, this question is "Japanese kanji vs. Korean grammar", and I have trouble believing that any extra grammar rules that Korean has can be harder to learn than kanji. Perhaps you're just not using a method for studying Korean grammar that's right for you.

- Kef

5 persons have voted this message useful

Clintaroo
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6665 days ago

189 posts - 201 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Tagalog, Indonesian

Message 14 of 57
09 May 2007 at 3:04am | IP Logged 
I'll just say that I hardly think it's fair to say that Japanese is harder than Korean based on the usage of Chinese characters alone.

And if you look at sheer access to and the number of learning resources - Japanese is by far easier to learn in that regard.
2 persons have voted this message useful

furrykef
United States
furrykef.com/
Joined 6266 days ago

681 posts - 862 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Latin, Italian

Message 15 of 57
09 May 2007 at 3:57am | IP Logged 
Clintaroo wrote:
I'll just say that I hardly think it's fair to say that Japanese is harder than Korean based on the usage of Chinese characters alone.

There is certainly some truth to that, and I certainly don't take a stance that "Japanese is definitely, unquestionably harder than Korean". But I think that it puts the burden of proof in the argument on Korean. I'm simply not in a position to make that judgement. But I do have something concrete and well-understood to be extremely difficult on the side of Japanese, but we've yet to really say in this thread what might make Korean harder. Just saying "the grammar" doesn't really cut it. I'm not denying that such reasons exist, merely that they haven't been stated yet.

Also, kanji really is a huge obstacle. I mean, consider this: to learn the meaning of every kanji, that's 3000 distinct elements to memorize right there (1945 jouyou kanji plus about 1000 more that are commonly used), and that's not even counting how to correlate those with written words. For almost every word you learn, you have to remember its kanji, its pronunciation, and its meaning, and sometimes none of these have anything to do with each other. (To be fair, there's usuallly a correlation between the kanji and the pronunciation, but this correlation is rarely completely predictable, considering many syllables have several possible kanji, and many kanji have several possible readings. There's still an extra burden on the memory there.) Suddenly, 3000 looks like a small number; the actual number of distinct pieces of information that kanji forces you to memorize is much, much higher.

Is there a similar manner in which the complexity of Korean grammar might be determined?

- Kef

Edited by furrykef on 09 May 2007 at 3:58am

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6562 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 16 of 57
09 May 2007 at 6:37am | IP Logged 
Learning kanji is hard, but you have to learn all those words anyway. I don't think learning kanji when you learn a word is much harder than just learning the word; it even gives you an extra mnemonic hook. There are very few words I know for which I don't know the kanji — at least well enough to read, if not write.

In other words, in my opinion, learning 10,000 Japanese words and how to write them (with kanji) is only a little harder than learning (say) 10,000 English words and how to spell them, or 10,000 Korean words (with their essential hanja).

Quote:
. For almost every word you learn, you have to remember its kanji, its pronunciation, and its meaning, and sometimes none of these have anything to do with each other.

For every word in any language you learn, you must remember its spelling, its pronunciation, and its meaning, and sometimes none of these have anything to do with each other. ;)

By the way, here is an article on the very topic everyone's discussing here.

This discussion contains 57 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version