Triglot
Japan
Joined 4495 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 50 of 57
08 November 2012 at 8:17pm | IP Logged 
Alex Lee wrote:
In Japanese you'd have, for example, 行く for a plain form, and 行きます for a polite form. In Korean you have 가 for plain, 가요 for polite, and 갑시다 for even more polite. And that's completely ignoring the formal and humble forms of each language, of which Korean has more.

I wouldn't have said anything, but.. you seem to forget a few things here. There's not only 行く、行きます, you also have things like 参る. But I guess you didn't get very far in Japanese, ignoring the Kanji, so I won't blame you.

I personally don't know if these languages are comparable. Japanese is what I learn and I don't give a damn if it's "hard" or "easy", because it's "what I want".
2 persons have voted this message useful

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4667 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 51 of 57
08 November 2012 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
atama warui wrote:
Alex Lee wrote:
In Japanese you'd have, for example, 行く for a
plain form, and 行きます for a polite form. In Korean you have 가 for plain, 가요 for
polite, and 갑시다 for even more polite. And that's completely ignoring the formal and
humble forms of each language, of which Korean has more.

I wouldn't have said anything, but.. you seem to forget a few things here. There's not
only 行く、行きます, you also have things like 参る. But I guess you didn't get very far in
Japanese, ignoring the Kanji, so I won't blame you.

I personally don't know if these languages are comparable. Japanese is what I learn and
I don't give a damn if it's "hard" or "easy", because it's "what I want".

"And that's completely ignoring the formal and humble forms of each language, of which
Korean has more."

参る seems to be of the überformal/humble form of Japanese, I think.
1 person has voted this message useful

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4495 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 

Message 52 of 57
09 November 2012 at 12:08pm | IP Logged 
And yet for different verbs there do exist more than just the dictionary and the polite forms. And then there are even more levels of formality in using the grammar without even touching the conjugations, by, for example, putting it in the masu-stem, adding the honorific prefix and couple it with suru, or ni suru, and some verbs even have counter parts in the lower registers, such as kuu, taberu, meshiageru - which theoretically makes for 12 different ways to express "to eat".

Edited by atama warui on 09 November 2012 at 12:10pm

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6233 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 53 of 57
09 November 2012 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
atama warui wrote:
And yet for different verbs there do exist more than just the dictionary and the polite forms. And then there are even more levels of formality in using the grammar without even touching the conjugations, by, for example, putting it in the masu-stem, adding the honorific prefix and couple it with suru, or ni suru, and some verbs even have counter parts in the lower registers, such as kuu, taberu, meshiageru - which theoretically makes for 12 different ways to express "to eat".

Korean takes this farther. See Professor Argüelles' grammar of it if you're interested.

howtwosavealif3
United States
Joined 4280 days ago

16 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 54 of 57
10 November 2012 at 3:56pm | IP Logged 
reineke wrote:
leosmith wrote:
For a brief period of time, I was
buying the assertion that Korean was harder than
Japanese. But I recently found out that the degree
of mastery required over Chinese characters for
Japanese is much higher than that required for
Korean. So now I'm back to believing Japanese is
harder.

I can breathe a sigh of relief.

What? That's ridiculous. There's so many well written posts here explaining the issues people have with Korean including people who have opposite views to this person.. The person who wrote this, hasn't even learned or Japanese to such an extent that they can make this judgement. Meanwhile, some of the responses to this initial post are written by people who have tried learning korean or japanese or both. Basically, there's no point believing in this one person's post. if you're actually interested with korean vs. japanese then read the whole thread.

Alex Lee
I've put aside all thoughts of learning 漢字 (kanji, hanja) for Korean for now because a significant portion of them are more difficult than their Japanese counterparts. (万 in Japanese is 萬 in Korean, but only for money, for example. Or 学 vs. 學)
[/QUOTE wrote:

well that's because Korean never simplified the hanja. I know 75% of sino words in japanese is the same in korean though with different readings. Like people said hanja is never used, so if anything you would only spend your time learning to read it (learn the reading of

well that's because Korean never simplified the hanja. I know 75% of sino words in japanese is the same in korean though with different readings. Like people said hanja is never used, so if anything you would only spend your time learning to read it (learn the reading of the hanja + meaning) or compare words that sound similar are made up of different hanja so that's why word a means this and word b means that. For Japanese, they actually use it and write with it. People have said before, native korean speakers don't need to learn hanja but it's really helpful for korean learners.

Edited by howtwosavealif3 on 10 November 2012 at 4:07pm

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4495 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 

Message 55 of 57
11 November 2012 at 4:00pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
atama warui wrote:

Korean takes this farther. See Professor Argüelles' grammar of it if you're interested.

I didn't argue that fact. TBH, I don't know much about Korean, since that language never interested me. I just wanted to correct that piece of wrong info given by that poster.

lichtrausch
Triglot
United States
Joined 5754 days ago

525 posts - 1072 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Mandarin

Message 56 of 57
11 November 2012 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 
howtwosavealif3 wrote:

Like people said hanja is never used

Wrong. It is used infrequently, not never.

This discussion contains 57 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version