Tetraglot
United States
Joined 6496 days ago

621 posts - 808 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Indonesian, Japanese

Message 33 of 57
07 February 2011 at 5:49am | IP Logged 
Why is French considered the hardest of all Romance languages? Though it has most of the grammatical quirks of its siblings, it also has those relentless liaisons and the silent letters that appear only at certain times. Korean has that as well, IMO edging out Japanese because of it.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Segata
Triglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4965 days ago

64 posts - 125 votes 
Speaks: German*, Japanese, English
Studies: Korean, Esperanto

Message 34 of 57
07 February 2011 at 10:18am | IP Logged 
Obviously, I can only speak from my own experience, but Japanese seems a lot more straightforward to me. Japanese does get harder once you reach a higher advanced level, but overall, from what I've experienced so far, Japanee is much easier to acquire than Korean.

1. Pronounciation. With the exception of pitch accent (which takes some getting used to), Japanese pronounciation is very straightforward.
2. Grammar. Although the structure is very similar, there are more exceptions in Korean etc. Classical Japanese on the other hand can be fairly mind-boggling at times. I expect classical Korean to be even worse. ;) Maybe someone can elaborate.
3. Reading. Yes, you read that right. Once you get past a certain point (maybe about 2000 Kanji), Chinese characters will make reading Japanese texts a lot easier. You can easily skim Japanese texts and figure out the meaning of new compounds. I really miss that now that I'm learning Korean.

Edit: Whoops, typo.

Edited by Segata on 14 February 2011 at 10:25am

5 persons have voted this message useful

ennime
Tetraglot
South Africa
universityofbrokengl
Joined 5698 days ago

397 posts - 507 votes 
Speaks: English, Dutch*, Esperanto, Afrikaans
Studies: Xhosa, French, Korean, Portuguese, Zulu

Message 35 of 57
13 February 2011 at 9:46am | IP Logged 
Nea Vanille wrote:
I know this topic is really old, but I just stumbled upon it via google, and felt I actually had something substantial to add. So, I will.

I started learning Korean about 3 years ago, full-time. I'm still not that great, but I am probably at an advanced level now: I take university lectures in Korean, I speak only Korean in my daily life, I read the newspaper, etc. etc. I recently started learning Japanese, and it is easy. Of course it's easy - already knowing Korean means that most of the vocab and the grammar is already familiar to me. No surprise there.

I just wanted to say this one thing: I actually think that the kanji used in Japanese are your best friend past a certain level.

Because with Korean? Not knowing the hanja pretty much means you will never read fluency. You don't need to know how to write them or even read them that well, but you do have to understand where certain syllables come from, and what they mean, before you can process half of what is written in a text book. It is my firm belief that the kanji in Japanese are a stumbling block in the beginning, but a huge help once you've reached an advanced level. Kanji immediately give you a hint as to what the heck is meant (usually - sure some words have no real connection to what the kanji they're composed of mean individually, but from what I've seen, this is not that common). So in other words, once you reach an advanced level, the problem with Japanese is figuring out how to pronounce unknown words; the problem with Korean is figuring out the meaning, full stop.

I'm not going to say that Korean is harder than Japanese. Japanese will always be easier for me to learn because I learned Korean first, and I don't know how hard it would be if I had learned Japanese first. But I just wanted to point out, as an advanced learner of Korean, that the lack of visual clues in Korean words (especially in text books and newspapers that are just littered with Sino-Korean words, and I took Economics in Korean last semester) can be a huge pain in the ass. I maintain that Korean reading/writing is undeniably easier to learn in the beginning - easier to learn how to read/write simple e-mails or letters from your friend - but that once you get to a high enough level, it becomes quite debatable.

Personally, I have not gotten around to learning a good deal of hanja. I certainly don't know as many as the advanced learner of Japanese, and I can't write them worth a damn -- recognition is enough for Korean, after all -- but I've still had to familiarize myself with a lot of them to be able to understand the lectures and text books I do now.

I don't know which is harder, I just wanted to put out my personal experience here. :-)

Honestly, these arguments around Hanja or no Hanja... if learning and knowing hanja is a necessity to get true fluency, then there is an entire generation of Koreans who don't speak their own language fluent (plus the majority of north koreans)... On the side: so many are quoting Ardaschir... I accept that he is very knowledgeable, but he lived in Korea years ago and a lot has changed, languages do...

On the other side, I do believe the Korean pronunciation to be harder than japanese... trying out both, I still struggle with Korean pronunciation as opposed to Japanese... Dunno about grammar
1 person has voted this message useful

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6743 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 36 of 57
14 February 2011 at 4:13am | IP Logged 
ennime wrote:
Honestly, these arguments around Hanja or no Hanja... if learning and
knowing hanja is a necessity to get true fluency, then there is an entire generation of
Koreans who don't speak their own language fluent (plus the majority of north
koreans)...

Come on now, one's saying that Koreans are less fluent in their own native tongue
because they don't use hanja... Just that the lack of hanja makes it more difficult for
learners of the language to figure out and remember unfamiliar words. I'm not
sure what's so controversial about this statement.

I have never studied Korean, but in Japanese I am sure that the kanji makes reading
really smooth for me even if I haven't studied many words on the page before. On the
occasions that I've had to read something in hiragana/romaji, it was a real struggle to
figure out unfamiliar words based on context alone and tell apart all those homonyms
(e.g. my dictionary shows over 20 possibilities for the pronunciation 「しょうこう」.)
As a few before me have said, learning kanji is a big hurdle that, once you clear it,
pays dividends in the long-run.

Korean seems to have less homonyms than Japanese in its Sinetic loanwords, due to a
richer phoneme inventory. So I imagine that this would be less of a problem in Korean
than in Japanese, and therefore learning the hanja would provide a smaller payoff for
the learner's efforts . But
posts on this thread by Korean learners suggest that homonyms are still is a great
problem nonetheless. So that observation combined with my experience with kanji in
Japanese makes me very ready to believe the Professor's assertion that the hanja are
needed for a learner to gain a strong command of the vocabulary. Particularly,
his report of hitting a brick wall with regard to vocabulary, and then his vocab
acquisition "snowballing" after he learned the hanja immediately rang some bells with
me as a Japanese learner and teacher. When Korean learners claim the hanja aren't
necessary for a learner, and appear to be baffled by the Professor's statement, I
wonder if it's because they simply have never tried. Of course, this is just
speculation, and I'd be interested in hearing from a Korean learner who has learned at
least a few hundred hanja, who doesn't feel satisfied that it was necessary.

Those who are averse to learning the hanja in Korean usually say "Nobody uses them
anymore", "You can get along just fine without them", "Even the native speakers hardly
know them, and they seem to be speaking just fine". Again, I haven't studied Korean,
but I think that the needs of an L2 learner are not quite the same as those of a native
speaker. When Asians learn English, they often have to study Greek and Latin roots.
What percent of (non-language geek) native English speakers can tell you that the root
of "dictionary" and "contradict" has to do with speaking? Do we even need to know? But
for a learner of English without a history in that tradition, they're a great help in
acquiring new vocabulary.

Edited by Lucky Charms on 14 February 2011 at 4:27am

7 persons have voted this message useful

emkaos
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5074 days ago

9 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Korean

Message 37 of 57
08 September 2011 at 12:00pm | IP Logged 
In my opinion, you can achieve true fluency without knowing hanja, but you'll need an (for foreign students) unrealistic amount of exposure. If a Korean native could, at one time in history, learn it in 20 years of full exposure while covering a wide range of topics at school, doesn't mean a foreign learner of the language can do the same. Even then, I can't imagine handling some professional topics without hanja knowledge.

I resisted learning hanja for a long time, even though I learned a lot of kanji when studying Japanese. I found it hard to learn something you never see. Hanja are always there, but hidden like behind a curtain of hangeul. So you don't have that automatic reinforcement you have when you read Japanese and reinforce the kanji.
What got me study them in the end, was 1. those rare sinokorean words you only encounter once a year or so, they are often so much easier to remember if you know the hanja or know at least one of the hanja and 2. without hanja it's hard to distinguish between similar sinokorean words. There are so many words that somewhat mean the same but differ a little in connotation. Hanja helps to keep these words apart.

I don't know if learning Korean is harder than learning Japanese.
But in my case it was a lot more confusing and frustrating. So maybe it's not more difficult but for some people it feels like it is, because of the confusion and frustration.

Edited by emkaos on 08 September 2011 at 12:15pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Leurre
Bilingual Pentaglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5219 days ago

219 posts - 372 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Korean, Haitian Creole, SpanishC2
Studies: Japanese

Message 38 of 57
03 October 2011 at 4:14pm | IP Logged 
I never understood how Hanja really help that much in the learning process.
When you get to a certain point in your studies where it becomes necessary to
distinguish hard words/very similar words/ words with the same roots, then you're
already in my experience at the point where you can tell what nuance the words in
question have without knowing any separate system of writing.

What is 한정, and how it is different from 제한, 제한 from 제약, etc?
This is something you could learn by going through the 1800 or so hanja that some
generations learn...
Or you could simply go by what you already know based on everything you've seen that
has the character 제 in it, and the same for 정, and 한, etc.

Simply thinking about that has always given me whatever nuance or understanding was
needed.
Also I get a much more vivid picture of what something means when I base it on words I
have already learnt, as opposed to on a whole new system I need to get used to.

To what is the difference between 성립 and 확립? One can know it if they've learnt the
Hanja, but one could understand it better, and how to use it, if they have heard of 구
성, 확정, etc
You can do it just as well without learning the characters tied to each word honestly.
That Korean learning generally does not include Hanja is probably something that counts
towards it being easier (easier than if it did include Hanja, not easier that Japanese
necessarily)

DNB
Bilingual Triglot
Groupie
Finland
Joined 4680 days ago

47 posts - 80 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, Estonian*, English

Message 39 of 57
03 October 2011 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
Leurre wrote:
I never understood how Hanja really help that much in the learning
process.
When you get to a certain point in your studies where it becomes necessary to
distinguish hard words/very similar words/ words with the same roots, then you're
already in my experience at the point where you can tell what nuance the words in
question have without knowing any separate system of writing.

What is 한정, and how it is different from 제한, 제한 from 제약, etc?
This is something you could learn by going through the 1800 or so hanja that some
generations learn...
Or you could simply go by what you already know based on everything you've seen that
has the character 제 in it, and the same for 정, and 한, etc.

Simply thinking about that has always given me whatever nuance or understanding was
needed.
Also I get a much more vivid picture of what something means when I base it on words I
have already learnt, as opposed to on a whole new system I need to get used to.

To what is the difference between 성립 and 확립? One can know it if they've learnt the
Hanja, but one could understand it better, and how to use it, if they have heard of 구
성, 확정, etc
You can do it just as well without learning the characters tied to each word honestly.
That Korean learning generally does not include Hanja is probably something that counts
towards it being easier (easier than if it did include Hanja, not easier that Japanese
necessarily)

That is certainly a valid point, and if it suits you then that's great, more time
saved.

It wouldn't work for me, since I have only studied 325 Hanja so far but I already know
7 사's (社, 事, 史, 使, 四, 死, 寫), 6 화's (化, 和, 話, 花, 畵, 火), 6 전's (全, 戰, 電, 前,
傳, 典) et cetera. For me, at least, having these Hanjas as visual clues to remember
the different possible meanings for similar syllables has actually made it easier. You
seem to be fluent in Korean though, which is great if you can understand the advanced
vocab without Hanja. On the other hand, for learners like me, it is a useful tool.

Edited by DNB on 04 October 2011 at 8:42am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Sandman
Diglot
United States
Joined 5202 days ago

168 posts - 389 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Japanese

Message 40 of 57
05 October 2011 at 8:17am | IP Logged 
I think part of the disagreement here is due to mixing the idea of the "difficulty" of the languages and the "time" involved to learn.

I don't think Japanese is a difficult language at all really, but it takes an enormous amount of time due to the writing system. Korean might have a higher "difficulty" due to pronunciation and perhaps slightly due to grammar, but it could still take less time to learn than Japanese. Sure, the use of kanji can be a nice help in reading situations later on, but getting to that point in the first place requires a massive time investment.

Edited by Sandman on 05 October 2011 at 8:18am

This discussion contains 57 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version