Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6239 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 9 of 72
17 June 2007 at 5:17pm | IP Logged 
I hit the target. Other than doing twice the Persian needed, there's not much to say.

1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6239 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 10 of 72
18 June 2007 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
I hit my targets again, and not much beyond them, other than some listening to Italian music, because I've got -way- too much to do.

I realized that the Level 1-3 exercises are for the grammar explanations in general, rather than specifically for La Zagreba Metodo, which just links to them. The actual grammar exercises in the course are insanely easy. This is a bit of a relief; my grammatical problems are real, and I plan to resolve them, but they're in advanced usages which -aren't- part of the first few lessons of an introductory course!

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6239 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 11 of 72
19 June 2007 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 
Same as yesterday; I hit the target, with a minimum other than listening to Italian music.

I think I finally understand, in Esperanto, when to use -a vs -e intellectually, thanks to this explanation at lernu. I partially understood it before, and could manage the simple cases, but the idea that -e cannot describe a noun, while -a must, makes it a lot clearer.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6239 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 12 of 72
20 June 2007 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
Same again - hit target, minimum other than listening to Italian music. I am greatly looking forward to when I have enough free time for a full night's sleep; at that point, on the side, I'll be able to extend my language studies. I'm running on under 3 hours of sleep in the last 36; that doesn't leave much time for extra study.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6239 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 13 of 72
21 June 2007 at 5:55pm | IP Logged 
I hit the 3 hour target again, as usual, and listened to a bit of Persian and Italian music.

Embarrassing mistake of the day: I pronounced 'scappato' with a slightly-too-English 'a', which sounded rather close to an 'o' to Italian ears. The first word means to escape (or run off/leave), while the second means to fornicate...

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6239 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 14 of 72
22 June 2007 at 5:32pm | IP Logged 
I put in all the language study, but due to a time crunch, I did a few things in parallel. The most extreme of these was to study Assimil French and 'La Zagreba Metodo' (Esperanto) at the same time; this actually worked much better than I'd expected, and I found both sessions useful.

I've often been doing something else at the same time while I study, although I keep it to things which do not require absolute concentration. This has been paying off hugely: I can much more easily deal with two or more conversations at once, or listening while reading most material, even when the languages are different. My ability to deal with Italian when multiple people are speaking and/or there's background noise has skyrocketed. This has come as a complete surprise to me; I expected it to be an ineffective experiment.

My Italian reading is still slow, but it's enjoyable. There are only a few constructs that I find that I can't make sense of. There tend to be a few unknown words per page, in the book I'm currently reading, but I'm picking up a fair percentage of them from context. There are places where this book really reads like a translation of English (which it is); I think I'll try to read a non-translated book next.

My German is also progressing; I picked up a copy of "Die Weltwoche" when I was at a friend's house, and could easily make out most entries on the table of contents. I didn't have time to read much of the articles, but it was -much- easier than last time I tried, although I still have some fairly large gaps in my knowledge. Many sentences were perfectly clear.

My ability to understand French, German, and Dutch vary quite a bit. With Assimil, some new lessons are instantly clear, perhaps excepting a couple of words, while others leave me confused until I read the translation, after which they fall into place. German tends to be the clearest, and Dutch the least clear, at this point. I haven't been listening to much native material in any of them recently, but this would mirror what I've previously observed there.

Esperanto grammar is slowly becoming more clear to me. 'La Zagreba Metodo', combined with doing the exercises in the grammatical section, and if they're too hard, reading the explanations in Esperanto, is currently being very useful and fun.

My Persian is really lagging; I'm nearly done with my second pass through the onion method. I'm coming to the opinion that I lack the grammatical knowledge, and cognates, to benefit much from it with Persian; it's only becoming slightly clearer. I'm extremely tempted to try to do a very rapid pass through it, but this time, using the book, and possibly translating to English, in the hopes that this combined with listening to copious amounts of native material gives me the ability to understand spoken Persian, as it did largely has with Dutch, though I expect Persian to take longer. I also -really- need to learn the abjad; I'm out of excuses not to, and not knowing it is really irritating me.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6239 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 15 of 72
23 June 2007 at 5:09pm | IP Logged 
The minimum, yet again; the only deviations, both today and yesterday, were quite a bit more Italian conversation than usual - but it's a common enough occurrence, as I live in an Italian-speaking area, that I generally don't record it.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6239 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 16 of 72
24 June 2007 at 5:13pm | IP Logged 
I hit the target again; that's happened every day since starting the challenge. Thanks Reineke!

I also did a one hour language exchange for French, but I was fairly unhappy with it, for reasons too numerous to list here.

This discussion contains 72 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version