Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6238 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 25 of 72
01 July 2007 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
Today was decent. On top of my usual 2 hours of 20 minutes/language (which I did properly today, with both active and passive phases in the 4 languages that I'm past lesson 50 of Assimil on), I did just over an hour of Italian reading. I got through the whole of "Istituzioni Politiche Svizzere", which was 72 pages, in ~65 minutes. There's a lot of whitespace, but even so, it was a nice change from last time I tried to read it and abandoned it after a few pages. The other reading that I've done in Italian has helped; simple words that I somehow had managed not to learn, like "entrambe", don't confuse me now, which makes reading a lot more pleasant.

I also read about 1/3rd of the play "Ifigenio en TaĆ­rido", which is an Esperanto translation of a work by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, spending somewhere around an hour and a half on this. I'm not catching 100% of the meaning, but I'm catching a good percentage. I've picked up a few words from context, and been reminded of several others that I'd partially forgotten. I've been using a dictionary with it, as I'm reading it electronically; I probably looked up around two dozen words. If only I could stop forgetting the word 'tamen'..!

I also proofread a few pages in Italian, Dutch, and Czech for project gutenberg.

On the negative side, I did no German reading, nor reading of "An Introduction to the languages of the world"; I spent a lot of today catching up on sleep. Tomorrow, I'll probably do a minimum of language things, as I have a final exam on Tuesday.

I can't wait for the 10th, when I can begin this challenge in earnest!

Edited by Volte on 01 July 2007 at 6:26pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6238 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 26 of 72
02 July 2007 at 5:31pm | IP Logged 
As expected, the minimum. Active+passive 20 minutes for French, German, Italian, and Dutch with Assimil. French isn't going as badly at this point, but it's still not going particularly well. Dutch went quite badly today; I didn't manage to concentrate well on it, and 'borrowed' several simple words from German, misspelled pronouns, etc.

Persian went well; I did lesson 8, and didn't bother to use the book at all, as I understood everything, and could shadow it without the book.

For Esperanto, I couldn't get into the "Jen Nia IJK" exercises (I rather dislike the format), so I started "La puzlo Esperanto".

I proofread one page, in Italian, for Project Gutenberg, and read a few pages of "An Introduction to the Languages of the World". I glossed over a lot of the details of the Russian; I'm paying more attention to the Finnish.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6238 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 27 of 72
03 July 2007 at 6:19pm | IP Logged 
The minimum again (6x~20). "La puzlo Esperanto" is going well; it's largely simple things, thus far, but I'm picking up some nuances (ie, I had no idea that 'rideto' meant 'smile', while 'ridego' meant 'loud laugh', although I've seen rido before, and know the -et- and -eg- affixes). The UI is a pain, but it also really emphasizes the idea of agglutinating unchanging components, which I'm finding helpful - the way I view Esperanto is shifting.

Today's active work went better than yesterday's. I'm making more mistakes in German and Dutch than I did on the first day's exercises, but not a huge number; the mistakes are primarily minor (articles/genders/misspelling things by one or two letters). I make similar mistakes in Italian, but fewer.

French is still the trickiest of the bunch, but my spelling is improving quickly. It's definitely the language that I forget words in, and how to form certain expressions in, the most often of the 4.

Not much to say about Persian; there was one word in the lesson which I didn't immediately remember/recognize, but I remembered the translating and filled it back in from that.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6238 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 28 of 72
04 July 2007 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
3rd minimum day in a row, and this was the second 'really minimum' minimum day thus far into the challenge. Other than the Esperanto and Persian, I did everything passively, though I did partial shadowing from memory on the Italian and German. I've been studying at the end of the day, and today, that corresponded with an external crunch-time, unfortunately.

Earlier in the day, I read a few pages of "An Introduction to the Languages of the World", and my copy of "The World's Major Languages" arrived, but I managed to stick to only thumbing through a few pages of it.

I also chatted on unilang far more than was wise. My Dutch and French comprehension aren't too terrible, but I can't really actively produce them yet. I also had a Spanish/Italian conversation, with 'the Scandanavian method' - I typed Italian, and the other person typed Spanish.

A kind fellow corrected my Italian as I typed in it; I'm thinking that I may need to try drills for getting the articles right. I use noun genders correctly, but mess up articles - especially 'gli' and 'li', and 'ad' when I should use 'a', etc. I know the theory for which to use when, and I've seen them in use for nearly a decade, but if I'm not focusing on them whilst writing quickly, I don't consistently use the right one.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6238 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 29 of 72
05 July 2007 at 6:23pm | IP Logged 
... 4th minimum day in a row, more or less.

I read about 60 pages of "An Introduction to the Languages of the World" though; I 'finished' the European chapter, and am well into the one on Asian languages. Finnish makes a lot more sense than Russian when I read it in a morpheme-by-morpheme translation; I wonder why.

Today's Esperanto was interesting; I hadn't explicitly thought about how affixes would change the type-of-word ending, but some do, ie, juna (young) takes a -o ending when it becomes "junulo" (young person).

My current Esperanto question is whether the order of affixes matter. Are etulo and uleto interchangeable?

Lumulo
Triglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6153 days ago

27 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, Italian
Studies: Mandarin

Message 30 of 72
05 July 2007 at 10:58pm | IP Logged 
No, in those situations they are not interchangable. Adjectives, when combined with noun-ending suffixes generally go beforehand. They are only interchangable when they are separate words

ekz.   'etulo' oni povas samsignife esprimi per kaj 'ulo eta' kaj 'eta ulo'.

Benjameno

Edited by Lumulo on 05 July 2007 at 11:07pm

Lumulo
Triglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6153 days ago

27 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, Italian
Studies: Mandarin

Message 31 of 72
05 July 2007 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
Actually, I'll swallow my words on that last post- 'uleto' actually would work as 'et' is already an official suffix (and one can do the same with all similiar cases such as ulego, etc. However, one is only permitted to say 'ularo'- it would be frankly quite confusing to hear 'arulo' and the meaning would be nonsenscical). And obviously one would not be able to alternate the two parts of 'junulo' , as there is no '-jun' suffix.

Edited by Lumulo on 05 July 2007 at 11:11pm

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6238 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 32 of 72
05 July 2007 at 11:40pm | IP Logged 
Lumulo wrote:
Actually, I'll swallow my words on that last post- 'uleto' actually would work as 'et' is already an official suffix (and one can do the same with all similiar cases such as ulego, etc. However, one is only permitted to say 'ularo'- it would be frankly quite confusing to hear 'arulo' and the meaning would be nonsenscical).

How does changing the order of affixes change the meaning? Why is 'arulo' nonsensical, while 'ularo' valid (and meaning a collection/gathering of people, right?)

Lumulo wrote:

And obviously one would not be able to alternate the two parts of 'junulo' , as there is no '-jun' suffix.

Sure, -ul- is a suffix, rather than a prefix, and jun isn't an affix. This particular case is fairly clear, I think.

Dankon.

This discussion contains 72 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version