Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
72 messages over 9 pages: 1 2 3 46 7 ... 5 ... 8 9 Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6269 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 33 of 72
06 July 2007 at 1:06am | IP Logged 
Affixes have to follow an order that makes sense. There are no grammatical rules to it but only semantic ones.

Here's an example:
"arb-ar-et-o" means "small forest", literally: "small group of trees"
"arb-et-ar-o" means "forest of small trees", literally "group of small trees".

So when translating to English, the meanings take the opposite order from the Esperanto one, going from the last affix to the first. In the case of "uleto" and "etulo" the meaning stays the same. In the case of "kantuleto" and "kantetulo" the meaning wouldn't be the same - can you translate? The German e-mail Esperanto course is great for practising affixes and understanding the nuances of meaning.

I will post some affix exercises in the Practical Learning forum shortly, since I believe they are of interest to every Esperanto learner.
1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6238 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 34 of 72
06 July 2007 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
Dankegon, Sprachprofi. I'll try your exercises as soon as I wake up; I'm currently pretty exhausted.

Today's log: Mixed. In terms of my 20 mins/day of active -study- per language, I made it, but again, doing a minimum - too many long days recently. At least I should be extremely well prepared to actively do the lessons that I've been repeating passively for the last couple of days.

Outside of that: I listened to about 40 minutes of Esperanto music, and read a few more pages of the Asian section of "An Introduction to the Languages of the World".

I also sat around with groups of Italian speakers for about 3 hours talking (I understood most things, though I miss most cultural references still, and when someone says something in an extremely quick and blurred way, or which uses slang I don't know, I still miss the meaning). I definitely need to improve my accent though - with the second group of Italian speakers, there were two people who didn't know me, and one said explicitly that she didn't think I understood what they were saying, after I'd already participated a bit in the conversation (the ones I know insisted, correctly, that I did).   

I also stopped by a second-hand bookstore, and picked up some Ticinese literature. It looks like it will be a bit of a challenge to read; there are quite a few words I don't know in it, which I suspect are regional. I may use a dictionary a bit more heavily, or try to find some etymologies; then again, I may just read in my usual manner, without doing so. Time will tell.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6238 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 35 of 72
07 July 2007 at 2:06pm | IP Logged 
To avoid spoilers (or causing confusion, given the amount of difficulty I've had with this exercise!) in reply to Sprachprofi's great post on affixes, I've put my replies here.

My knowledge of the participles is appallingly bad; I've heard of them, but never really studied them in a serious way.

TRANSLATION FROM ESPERANTO TO ENGLISH
poŝtaĵo, => 'post' made concrete => a piece of mail.
enamiĝi (en-am-iĝ-i), => To become friends? I'm a little confused by the role of 'en' in this word.

vorteto, => a little word
elaŭtiĝi (el-aŭt-iĝ-i), => Getting out of a car after having driven/ridden in it? [I'm fuzzy on aŭti - what does the verb 'to car' - to travel by car, or something else?, and hence, I'm fuzzy on aŭt-iĝ-i].

bofilino => step-daughter
mallaŭtiĝi => to become quiet [or is it 'to stop becoming loud'?]

plimultiĝi => To become more, having already been many/much.
malpli => less
ĉiama => ĉi-ama => an adjective with the property of lovingness here
      ĉiam-a => at all times (in the form of an adjective)

sunleviĝo => sunrise
pendigita => to cause something to have been hung
krome => besides
hundaĉo => bad[-quality] dog; cur
kuracilo => a tool for running. (How important is the 'ac' in this? It took a while to hunt up ac at all, and the explanation I found at donh's site suggests that it's minor?)

estrino => female leader
plilarĝigebla => larĝigebla seems to mean "to cause something to become able to be larger"; hence, plilarĝigebla should mean "to cause something to be able to become even more large (that it otherwise would be able to become).

retrankviliĝinte => cause to become tranquil again as an adverb; pacify? (Could this also mean 'agitate', using re- with the 'inverse direction' meaning?)

TRANSLATION FROM ENGLISH TO ESPERANTO (use the word stem in brackets)
handout (inform-) => informaĵo.
sender (send-) => sendigo.
puppy (hund-) => hundido.
participant (partopren-) => partoprenaĵo?
to get dressed (vest-) => vesti? vestiĝi?
order sheet (mend-) => mendilo? various words based on what kind of order sheet it is, such as folimendilo for a paper one?

to have fun (amuz-) => amuzi
questionnaire (demand-) => demandaro?
re-opening (ferm-) remalfermanta?
misunderstanding (kompren-) malkomprenanta??
opponents (kontraŭ-) kontraŭulo.
correction (ĝust-) ĝustigo?
grateful (dank-) => dankuja??
to be reborn (nask-) => renaskiĝi
readable / worth reading (leg-) => legebla
cake crumbs (kuk-) => kukeroj (I found the -er- prefix after my first attempt, kukpecetaroj, a collection of small pieces of cake).
purse (mon-) => monujo.
to gossip (parol-) => fiparoli? malparolindi?

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6238 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 36 of 72
07 July 2007 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
A quiet day. I tried the affixes exercise, and 20 minutes/language. I'm looking forward to exams being over.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6269 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 37 of 72
08 July 2007 at 5:38am | IP Logged 
Ok, here are the corrections...

Volte wrote:

TRANSLATION FROM ESPERANTO TO ENGLISH
poŝtaĵo, => 'post' made concrete => a piece of mail.
enamiĝi (en-am-iĝ-i), => To become friends? I'm a little confused by the role of 'en' in this word.

First one is correct. Second one: start at the end of the word. "igx" can be translated as "become". "amo" is "love" and "en" is "in", so the whole would be literally "become in love". In good English, you'd probably say "fall in love".

Quote:
vorteto, => a little word
elaŭtiĝi (el-aŭt-iĝ-i), => Getting out of a car after having driven/ridden in it? [I'm fuzzy on aŭti - what does the verb 'to car' - to travel by car, or something else?, and hence, I'm fuzzy on aŭt-iĝ-i].

Both correct. The part "-auxt-" simply refers to "auxto". You can mix words of different types: nouns, adjectives, verbs... just take the semantic meaning of them.

Quote:
bofilino => step-daughter
mallaŭtiĝi => to become quiet [or is it 'to stop becoming loud'?]

Both right. I'd say "mallauxtigxi" as in "become more quiet" as when you turn down the stereo. The act of turning it down would be "mallauxtigi".

Quote:
plimultiĝi => To become more, having already been many/much.
malpli => less
ĉiama => ĉi-ama => an adjective with the property of lovingness here
      ĉiam-a => at all times (in the form of an adjective)

Right. For "cxiama" I would never have thought of that first interpretation.

Quote:
sunleviĝo => sunrise
pendigita => to cause something to have been hung

simply "hung". "pendigitaj vestajxoj" -> "hung clothes (on a clothesline)"

Quote:
krome => besides
hundaĉo => bad[-quality] dog; cur
kuracilo => a tool for running. (How important is the 'ac' in this? It took a while to hunt up ac at all, and the explanation I found at donh's site suggests that it's minor?)

"kuraci" is the verb. It means "to heal". So "kuracilo" would be a tool for healing, e. g. medicine.

Quote:
estrino => female leader
plilarĝigebla => larĝigebla seems to mean "to cause something to become able to be larger"; hence, plilarĝigebla should mean "to cause something to be able to become even more large (that it otherwise would be able to become).

"enlargeable"

Quote:
retrankviliĝinte => cause to become tranquil again as an adverb; pacify? (Could this also mean 'agitate', using re- with the 'inverse direction' meaning?)

"after becoming tranquil again" (e. g. "..., he spoke more softly")".

Quote:
TRANSLATION FROM ENGLISH TO ESPERANTO (use the word stem in brackets)
handout (inform-) => informaĵo.

or "informilo"

Quote:
sender (send-) => sendigo.

"Sendanto", or "sendulo" if you want. "sendigo" would mean "to make send" and I believe it would be incorrect since "to send" is already transitive.

Quote:
puppy (hund-) => hundido.
participant (partopren-) => partoprenaĵo?

hundido is correct. "partoprenajxo" would mean "participatory thing". The most common translation of "participant" is "partoprenanto".

Quote:
to get dressed (vest-) => vesti? vestiĝi?

vestigxi

Quote:
order sheet (mend-) => mendilo? various words based on what kind of order sheet it is, such as folimendilo for a paper one?

"mendilo" is what I was looking for. "papermendilo" is a paper order sheet. "folio" is a leaf or a slide.

Quote:
to have fun (amuz-) => amuzi

amuzigxi

Quote:
questionnaire (demand-) => demandaro?

Right.

Quote:
re-opening (ferm-) remalfermanta?

"remalfermanta" is the adjective, as in "re-opening restaurant". I was looking for the noun "remalfermo".

Quote:
misunderstanding (kompren-) malkomprenanta??

malkompreno or miskompreno

Quote:
opponents (kontraŭ-) kontraŭulo.

right, but plural: kontrauxuloj

Quote:
correction (ĝust-) ĝustigo?

yes :-)

Quote:
grateful (dank-) => dankuja??

dankema. -uj- is used for a container, e. g. "keksujo"(jar of cookies). -em- is used for an inclination to do something, e. g. "dormema"(sleepy).

Quote:
to be reborn (nask-) => renaskiĝi
readable / worth reading (leg-) => legebla

renaskigxi is perfect. "readable" in the sense of handwriting that can be deciphered is indeed "legebla". I was thinking of "leginda" though, which means e. g. a book that's so good that it's worth reading. In German "lesenswert" but LEO only gave me "readable" as translation...

Quote:
cake crumbs (kuk-) => kukeroj (I found the -er- prefix after my first attempt, kukpecetaroj, a collection of small pieces of cake).
purse (mon-) => monujo.
to gossip (parol-) => fiparoli? malparolindi?

kukeroj and monujo and fiparoli are correct. I think you're getting the hang of Esperanto affixes now. "malparolindi" is not correct though, it would mean "be worth of untalking".

Esperanto affixes offer new worlds of expressing yourself. You should give preference to learning these than to learning more vocabulary, once you have mastered the list at http://www.lujz.org/komencanto/listo.k.php or something similar, because fact is a lot of Esperanto speakers don't know many more word stems either, they just use the word stems they know to the max.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6238 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 38 of 72
08 July 2007 at 5:26pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi: thank you very much for the corrections. I understand that you can use any word stem, but I'm having trouble still imagining what 'auxti' means - what is 'to car'?

Do you have any tips on how to effectively study the affixes, participles, and the words on http://www.lujz.org/komencanto/listo.k.php that I don't know? How did you do these things?

Today's log:
20 mins/language; I'm still keeping it minimal. Last exam on the 9th.

Lumulo
Triglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6153 days ago

27 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, Italian
Studies: Mandarin

Message 39 of 72
09 July 2007 at 7:40am | IP Logged 
"Auxti" is basically 'to travel by car', the same way we say 'to bicycle' in English (which, incidentally, one also says in Esperanto "bicikli"). You can do the same to any mode of transportation- "trajni" (to go by train), "busi" (to go by bus), "piediri" (to go on foot), and recently in Montreal I even heard "metroi" in use, which would be to go by the metro (metroo) system.

Benjameno

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6246 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 40 of 72
09 July 2007 at 12:11pm | IP Logged 
Free Esperanto ebooks:

http://esperantujo.org/eLibrejo/

This discussion contains 72 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version