United States
languageprograms.blo
Joined 6956 days ago

264 posts - 263 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 1 of 99
20 May 2005 at 11:18am | IP Logged 
Can anyone recommend a good place to buy Assimil? Apparently the Assimil site doesn't sell to the USA. Ebay doesn't have anything either.
1 person has voted this message useful

administrator
Hexaglot
Forum Admin
Switzerland
FXcuisine.com
Joined 7135 days ago

3094 posts - 2987 votes 
12 sounds
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 99
20 May 2005 at 11:23am | IP Logged 
I would try to order it from Amazon.fr, Ebay.fr, Assimil.fr or the language bookshop in New-York (Librairie de France).

I think assimil.fr has the English version of their programs too. Maybe you could drop them an email with your question and tell us what they answer you - they must have sources closer to you.

jradetzky
Triglot
United Kingdom
geocities.com/jradet
Joined 6966 days ago

521 posts - 485 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2, GermanB1

Message 3 of 99
20 May 2005 at 3:46pm | IP Logged 
I've just bought Assimil's Dutch with Ease at Ebay USA. It was USD 14.5 + shipping to Mexico City. I've also bought an old version of "L'anglais sans peine" for EUR 1 at Ebay France and the delivery was made to my friend in Barcelona. Ebay Germany has the largest Assimil offer of all the Ebay sites. In fact I'm currently bidding for a couple of items. I was about to buy the book to "El català sense esforç" (Catalan with Ease) from Assimil Spain (www.assimil.es) and discovered that it was cheaper to buy it from Assimil France (www.assimil.com). You can pay with Visa or MasterCard and they deliver worldwide. There is also www.assimil.de (Germany) and www.assimil.it (Italy). Newer versions come in MP3 format and include an MP3 player.

Assimil have also developed online versions of their courses, which can be accessed here.

Edited by jradetzky on 24 May 2005 at 11:46am

braveb
United States
languageprograms.blo
Joined 6956 days ago

264 posts - 263 votes 

Message 4 of 99
20 May 2005 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
Well, I checked those sites and I couldn't find anything in English. I guess I'll have to order from multilingualbooks.com.

I never heard of this company before but I guess I don't have a choice.

pentatonic
United States
Joined 7006 days ago

221 posts - 245 votes 

Message 5 of 99
21 May 2005 at 4:19am | IP Logged 
I don't know what language you're interested in but I found the German one on Amazon.com for about half price by searching for the ISBN number which I got off of Assmil.com. The only problem is that it says it ships in 1-2 months. Other sellers listed on Amazon sell new versions for a little more and claim to ship in 1-2 business days. Multilingual books has them also but they are pricey. I looked at the CD version.

braveb
United States
languageprograms.blo
Joined 6956 days ago

264 posts - 263 votes 

Message 6 of 99
24 May 2005 at 10:32am | IP Logged 
Is $95 really that much for a 5 month program? I know it's only 4 cassettes and a book, but 5 months is a lot.

I'm trying to figure out how 4 cassettes can last 5 months. Pimsleur has 16 cassettes for 30 days.

Strange?

jradetzky
Triglot
United Kingdom
geocities.com/jradet
Joined 6966 days ago

521 posts - 485 votes 
1 sounds

Message 7 of 99
24 May 2005 at 11:26am | IP Logged 
braveb wrote:
Well, I checked those sites and I couldn't find anything in English. I guess I'll have to order from multilingualbooks.com.

I never heard of this company before but I guess I don't have a choice.

This is the direct buying link for Assimil German with Ease at Assimil's France website. It is 67,50 €.

jradetzky
Triglot
United Kingdom
geocities.com/jradet
Joined 6966 days ago

521 posts - 485 votes 
1 sounds

Message 8 of 99
24 May 2005 at 11:35am | IP Logged 
braveb wrote:
Is $95 really that much for a 5 month program? I know it's only 4 cassettes and a book, but 5 months is a lot.

I'm trying to figure out how 4 cassettes can last 5 months. Pimsleur has 16 cassettes for 30 days.

Strange?

I would say it is indeed very expensive. I have done both Assimil (German, French, and Polish) and Pimsleur (90-lesson French, 30-lesson Greek, and 10-lesson Polish) courses and they're different. If your priority is conversation in a few days then go for Pimsleur. If you want in-depth knowledge, a lot of vocabulary and grammar then go for Assimil. Assimil lessons are short (2-3 minutes) and should be repeated many times. If you consider that there are 100 lessons in the course and that mastering one lesson might take you more than one day, the 4 cassettes (2 hours) will last more than 100 days.

If I were you I would buy the book only (it should be around $20 or less) and get the recordings via trade or Ebay (I can't see why you can't find the Assimil courses on Ebay France and Germany, as there were recently at least 3 Assimil German courses on sale I was bidding on). PM me and I might help you get the recordings.

Edited by jradetzky on 24 May 2005 at 11:46am

This discussion contains 99 messages over 13 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version