United States
Joined 6635 days ago

75 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 89 of 191
12 July 2007 at 3:01pm | IP Logged 
Cage wrote:
perhaps Assimil fans seem more gifted and intelligent because they are using an easier program that does not take you as far as FSI due to much less effort and material involved, therefore allowing them to complete many more languages and to declare fluency in those languages solely due to completing an Assimil program.

While you're entitled to your opinion, you should recognize that the majority of regulars on this forum are going to disagree with your suggestion: namely that Ardaschir and fanatic are unable to correctly evaluate their skill in a particular language. I would personally trust their abilities to evaluate skill in a particular language far beyond what I would trust from myself or from you. That being said, no one here is arguing, and I'm not sure I've ever even seen it argued on these forums, that exposure to Assimil, as someone's sole exposure to a language, would give someone "fluency."

Cage wrote:
Were you implying that Administrator who only speaks six languages disparages Assimil and advocates FSI is not intelligent enough to use Assimil?

Obviously, he wasn't:

Farley wrote:
And there are others (Admin) who are smart enough to learn from Assimil just prefer other methods.

Edited by reltuk on 12 July 2007 at 3:01pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Farley
Triglot
United States
Joined 6911 days ago

681 posts - 739 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, GermanB1, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 90 of 191
12 July 2007 at 3:08pm | IP Logged 
Cage wrote:
perhaps Assimil fans seem more gifted and intelligent because they are using an easier program that does not take you as far as FSI due to much less effort and material involved, therefore allowing them to complete many more languages and to declare fluency in those languages solely due to completing an Assimil program.

Didn’t see an angel did you? Well neither did I.

I have no reason to believe those who make it look that easy are smarter than I am. The natural impulse is to think, so-and-so is full of it – it can’t be that easy -- but just maybe it is. Assimil gets touted as a magic course. What I’m suggesting is that maybe the magic has something to do with individual using the course. The rest of use mortals are going to have to work at it.

Cage wrote:
Were you implying that Administrator who only speaks six languages disparages Assimil and advocates FSI is not intelligent enough to use Assimil?

Now now.

Not every talented language learner will prefer Assimil so it is not an absolute. Assimil is a base method you have to adapt. FSI is more straightforward in its presentation and requires less “salt” and is a logical alternative for anyone.

Of course this also reminds me, and I forget who said it, to always think of yourself and a linguistic genius and if the evidence proves otherwise then blame the language course or dictionary or book and move on.

John

Edited by Farley on 12 July 2007 at 4:05pm

Asiafever
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6272 days ago

38 posts - 35 votes
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: German, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 91 of 191
12 July 2007 at 3:09pm | IP Logged 
Seth wrote:
What?

I've never heard of university classes stressing oral drills--at least nothing close to what is contained in a "good" FSI course. I agree that university classes are usually a poor way to build real competency, but it's precisely because they don't stress oral proficiency.

I agree that you could get used to verbs by hearing them in context. However, as I mentioned above, it is unlikely that you will hear EVERY (or even many) forms of many verbs in an introductory Assimil course. Moreover, I have not seen a good argument as to why the person who learned listening to Assimil would be better than the student who learned through drills. At least when it comes to PRODUCTION. Passive knowledge might be a different story.

Sorry, I didn't expressed myself well enought. What I meant is that the books they use and they way they are taught a language is not ideal. I know many people who learned a language at the University for a long time but I often hear the comment "I could not speak with a native speaker or have a conversation with someone". I had English classes for years at school and if it wasn't from the internet and traveling I still would not be able to communicate with an English speaker.

What I meant by drills is that they are taught vocabulary words one by one and have to memorize these words and then they have to memorize how to conjugate verbs the same way, etc.

If you take for example Pimsleur. They never say anything about how to conjugate verbs, yet by doing the lessons you learn instinctively how to use the tenses the method teaches you. The words you hear are put in an actual conversation, which is much more concrete than a big list of vocabulary put out of context on a sheet of paper with the translation next to it where you have to "force" your brain to remember the words separately.

reltuk
Groupie
United States
Joined 6635 days ago

75 posts - 110 votes 

Message 92 of 191
12 July 2007 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
While Ardaschir was probably gifted at languages, and that fact very well may have contributed to his personal success in learning them, he was definitely of the opinion that Assimil was as effective method of language self-instruction for the majority of individuals, even if it wasn't their preferred method of instruction. He even went so far as to offer a college course on how to teach yourself a language that was based around Assimil; the students of the course got to pick which language they would be learning, out of the languages that Assimil offered.

Given his comfort with assigning grades to college students based on their ability to learn a language using Assimil, it seems like he believed that Assimil was universally accessible, even if it isn't universally ideal for every student.

fredmf
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6282 days ago

43 posts - 51 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 93 of 191
12 July 2007 at 3:29pm | IP Logged 
[QUOTE=Cage] ...to declare fluency in those languages solely due to completing an Assimil program. QUOTE]

Um...who is committing this misdeed, and how do you know what else he or she may or may not have done, studied, practice, etc.?

I am using Assimil right now, feel that it is helping me immeasurably, and swear by it. But I have no expectation of fluency at the end of the intro course. If at that point I can understand the intermediate-level articles of, say, Champs Elysees, then I'll a) be thrilled and b) declare myself an intermediate.

Actually, I am using the course in part on the recommendation of linguist John McWhorter, who said that if you do everything they tell you to do, at the end you'll be able to speak "like an unusually cosmopolitan three-year-old." He also said that you would not be fluent--that fluency can only be achieved by regular use of the language for a protracted period of time. But an unusually cosmopolitan three-year-old? Given my previous knowledge of French (zero), sounded good to me.

I guess people's definitions of fluency differ. Go figure.

But why worry about what other people are studying and/or declaring themselves? Isn't this whole thing supposed to be about fostering communication in other languages and not about what others may or may not have "achieved" following the completion of this or that course?

Fred

Cage
Diglot
aka a.ardaschira, Athena, Michael Thomas
United States
Joined 6443 days ago

382 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 94 of 191
12 July 2007 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
Great posts guys! I enjoyed them...much food for thought here. I was mainly speaking tongue in cheek here an am really in awe of those of you who are proficient in learning languages by any source. I have learned a lot on this forum to apply to my own endeavors.
Assimil is my first French source and I would never never heard of it had it not been for this forum.

reltuk
Groupie
United States
Joined 6635 days ago

75 posts - 110 votes 

Message 95 of 191
12 July 2007 at 3:35pm | IP Logged 
fredmf wrote:
Actually, I am using the course in part on the recommendation of linguist John McWhorter, who said that if you do everything they tell you to do, at the end you'll be able to speak "like an unusually cosmopolitan three-year-old." He also said that you would not be fluent--that fluency can only be achieved by regular use of the language for a protracted period of time.

Great quote! His take is in this article, which I believe has been posted on these forums before =).

-- reltuk

lloydkirk
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6232 days ago

429 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Russian

Message 96 of 191
12 July 2007 at 4:18pm | IP Logged 
I respectfully disagree with the people saying assimil requires more intelligence. Assimil requires less effort/focus and is more effective in my humble opinion. The lessons are much shorter, more interesting and more legible. I got fed up scrolling down PDF files while listening to sub par sound.

This discussion contains 191 messages over 24 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version