SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6707 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 185 of 191
25 July 2007 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
No idea, I know that these two levels exist for the major languages (e.g. French, I'm still at "French with ease" but plan to get the others).

From the Assimil website:

Quote:
The "Perfectionnement" series
Intermediate to Advanced

This series is intended for learners with a good grasp of grammar and vocabulary in their target language. It focuses on the idiosyncrasies of the most commonly spoken European languages. The Perfectionnement series introduces you to the idioms of business, politics and the media; to regional accents; and to highlights of the country's literature.

Quote:
"The Business series is designed for people who need to learn a language for professional reasons – employees of multinationals, frequent business travellers, people attending meetings in a foreign language and so on. An original concept built around appealing storylines, this "business" series will quickly teach you all you need to know about the world of international trade and commerce."

1 person has voted this message useful

Peck
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

36 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 186 of 191
30 July 2007 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
In Assimil, they say in French With Ease to learn the gender of each new word that you come across and how it's so important, but they never tell you the gender...

Edited by Peck on 30 July 2007 at 9:38pm

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6944 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 187 of 191
30 July 2007 at 10:58pm | IP Logged 
Peck wrote:
In Assimil, they say in French With Ease to learn the gender of each new word that you come across and how it's so important, but they never tell you the gender...

You work out the gender for yourself from the way the word is used in the text. Masculine words will be preceded by le or du, feminine by la or de la.

A general rule is that for inanimate nouns, nouns that end in e are normally feminine. You will pick all that up as you go through the Assimil lessons.

Peck
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

36 posts - 36 votes
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 188 of 191
09 August 2007 at 8:57pm | IP Logged 
Had far will I get by completing Spanish with Ease? Would it take me to a B2 level on the CEF? And Using Spanish should take me to the advanced level?

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6707 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 189 of 191
10 August 2007 at 12:05pm | IP Logged 
No idea (I haven't finished the Spanish course yet), but you could take a look at the thoughts in:
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=6609

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6901 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 190 of 191
10 August 2007 at 2:33pm | IP Logged 
My personal feeling with Spanish With Ease is that, on completion, it should take you to a B1 level. Using Spanish probably to a B2/C1 level but certainly not C2.

Andy.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6348 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Studies: Tagalog

Message 191 of 191
10 August 2007 at 9:15pm | IP Logged 
FSI wrote:
The 45 hours required to complete Pimsleur, just once, could be far more effectively applied to more efficient modes of study.

No for me. I can't think of a better way to start a language. It's not for everybody, but I think it's wrong to say that someone elses tried-and-trued favorite way to study is not very effective.

This discussion contains 191 messages over 24 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version