Spain
Joined 6682 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 17 of 62
13 September 2007 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
Further about Julien, I couldn't shake the feeling that I have seen that face before somewhere. Rummaging through all my downloaded material i finally hit on this Chinese video lesson.

That looks very much like Julien to me, several years younger, though according to the lesson script he is supposedly an Australian student. Do the rest of you agree ? Is that mystery student in fact a much younger Julien ?

Though I am no expert, as far as I can tell his Chinese is far from perfect there (if it is him), so that could quite possibly be when he was still struggling through the beginning stages on his way to mastery of mandarin.

EDIT: He actually appears in several of the clips in that directory, and his Chinese sounds much better on some of the other ones, such as this one, where I was rolling all over the floor laughing at the phrase "酒喝得越多汉语就说得越流利" = "The more I drink, the more fluently I speak Chinese" :o). EDIT2: And a few lessons later we meet him in the classroom in front of a very patient Chinese teacher trying to explain away his rotten performance in a dictation exercise: "It's not that I haven't studied, but I had a few drinks with some friends last night ... " ROTFL

Edited by Hencke on 13 September 2007 at 7:48pm

1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6697 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 18 of 62
13 September 2007 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
That definitely looks like him. Funny clip, where did you get that? Is it an online course?

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6682 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 19 of 62
13 September 2007 at 7:59pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Funny clip, where did you get that? Is it an online course?

It was just lurking there, in the depths of my link collection. I must have stumbled across it somewhere but can't remember where.

It does look like it's part of a complete course, but I only have that collection of clips, no text material or anything else. There's a wonderful sense of humour in many of those clips though and I might be interested in the complete course at a reasonable price.

So if anyone recognises this course and can provide more info or pointers let's hear from you please !

krtek
Groupie
United States
Joined 6898 days ago

46 posts - 50 votes
Speaks: Mandarin*
Studies: English, Italian, Cantonese

Message 20 of 62
13 September 2007 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
Hencke wrote:
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Funny clip, where did you get that? Is it an online course?

It was just lurking there, in the depths of my link collection. I must have stumbled across it somewhere but can't remember where.

It does look like it's part of a complete course, but I only have that collection of clips, no text material or anything else. There's a wonderful sense of humour in many of those clips though and I might be interested in the complete course at a reasonable price.

So if anyone recognises this course and can provide more info or pointers let's hear from you please !

If you go all the way up to the root directory http://unclp.org/
you'll see it's the United Nations Chinese Language Program website.

Edited by krtek on 16 September 2007 at 12:43am

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6682 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 21 of 62
13 September 2007 at 8:34pm | IP Logged 
krtek wrote:
If you go all the way to the root directory ... you'll see it's the United Nations Chinese Language Program website.

Thanks, and sure, that's the website, but it doesn't seem that course is offered for sale there or anything.

But I am curious about a couple of other things. How would you rate his mandarin in these clips ? Does he sound native there too ? Or is he close ? And does anyone have a clue as to roughly how long ago these clips were recorded ?

Edited by Hencke on 13 September 2007 at 8:41pm

maxb
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6971 days ago

536 posts - 589 votes 
7 sounds
Speaks: Swedish*, English

Message 22 of 62
14 September 2007 at 3:15am | IP Logged 
Hencke wrote:
[QUOTE=krtek]
But I am curious about a couple of other things. How would you rate his mandarin in these clips ? Does he sound native there too ? Or is he close ? And does anyone have a clue as to roughly how long ago these clips were recorded ?

I am no native either for sure but as far as I can tell he has no problems with his tones in the clipse. His rhythm however is not as natural as in the later clips. It seems that many of the westerners who speak native like chinese have studied xiang sheng. Seems to be a good way of improving your chinese.

Julien
Diglot
China
Joined 6068 days ago

12 posts - 47 votes
Speaks: French*, Mandarin

Message 23 of 62
15 September 2007 at 12:28pm | IP Logged 
Hi guys, my name's Julien and I was quite surprised to find two emails, one in English and one in Chinese, from users of this forum. I will thereby try to satisfy your curiosity! And by the way, I was very touched to see all those questions about me, thank you everybody and good luck!

Edited by Julien on 15 September 2007 at 12:31pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

solidsnake
Diglot
China
Joined 6829 days ago

469 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 24 of 62
15 September 2007 at 12:48pm | IP Logged 
wow a celeb on these forums..how chic..

Julien thanks for signing up, congrats on your accomplishments so far and good luck in your future endeavors and career.

May I just ask, how long how have you been studying chinese? At what age did you begin? Have you studied any other asian languages?

This discussion contains 62 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version