Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Most inefficient languages?

Tags: Difficulty
 Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
69 messages over 9 pages: 13 4 5 6 7 ... 2 ... 8 9 Next >>
Linguamor
Decaglot
United States
Joined 6413 days ago

469 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Danish, French, Norwegian, Portuguese, Dutch

Message 9 of 69
19 September 2007 at 2:12am | IP Logged 
Maybe English should get rid of articles, plurals, past tense forms, and the he/she distinction? Many languages don't use these, and that would simplify it. Or how about the use of an auxiliary verb to express past tense in questions and negative sentences? How about tag questions in English?

Maybe English isn't as simple as you think it is.

2 persons have voted this message useful

manny
Triglot
United States
Joined 6153 days ago

248 posts - 240 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Tagalog
Studies: French, German

Message 10 of 69
19 September 2007 at 2:24am | IP Logged 
Linguamor wrote:
Maybe English should get rid of articles, plurals, past tense forms, and the he/she distinction? Many languages don't use these, and that would simplify it. Or how about the use of an auxiliary verb to express past tense in questions and negative sentences? How about tag questions in English?

YES!!! I think English grammar rules should be changed to the same as Chinese.
1 person has voted this message useful

Linguamor
Decaglot
United States
Joined 6413 days ago

469 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Danish, French, Norwegian, Portuguese, Dutch

Message 11 of 69
19 September 2007 at 2:38am | IP Logged 
manny wrote:
Linguamor wrote:

YES!!! I think English grammar rules should be changed to the same as Chinese.

I don't know much Chinese, but I suspect that the grammar of Chinese is not as simple as many people think it is. After all, grammar is more than conjugation and declension.

Edited by Linguamor on 19 September 2007 at 3:07am

manny
Triglot
United States
Joined 6153 days ago

248 posts - 240 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Tagalog
Studies: French, German

Message 12 of 69
19 September 2007 at 2:43am | IP Logged 
Linguamor wrote:
... I don't know much Chinese, but I suspect that the grammar of Chinese is not as simple as many people think it is. After all, grammar is more than conjugation and declintion.

If there is one easy thing about Chinese, it's the syntax. No flexion (words never change, verbs have one unique form) and a simple word order makes you almost feel as if you were speaking gibberish.

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/e/languages/mandarin-ch inese/index.html

Linguamor
Decaglot
United States
Joined 6413 days ago

469 posts - 599 votes 

Message 13 of 69
19 September 2007 at 2:47am | IP Logged 
"Because of the lack of inflections, Chinese grammar may appear quite simple compared to that of many highly-inflected European languages (e.g. Russian, Latin, etc.), or even the low-scale verb conjugations, for instance, of English (e.g. "swim, swam, swum"). However, Chinese displays a very high level of complexity in its syntax."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_grammar

Edited by Linguamor on 19 September 2007 at 3:14am

hagen
Triglot
Germany
Joined 6755 days ago

171 posts - 179 votes 
6 sounds
Speaks: German*, English, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 14 of 69
19 September 2007 at 4:20am | IP Logged 
Linguamor wrote:
However, Chinese displays a very high level of complexity in its syntax."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_grammar

While I don't support exaggerating the simplicity of Chinese grammar, I don't see how this sentence can be justified. The rest of the article doesn't seem apt to do so.

I would counsel Wikipedia-scepticism here.

fredomirek
Tetraglot
Poland
Joined 6701 days ago

265 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishC1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Japanese

Message 15 of 69
19 September 2007 at 4:47am | IP Logged 
Why simplify ANY language? If there are still people who use it in their daily lives efficiently and without any problems, I believe there's no need to reduce their grammar and so on. You sound like some anti-linguistic guys who don't like foreign languages and just would like to speak several without learning them. I, personally, like A LOT different scripts (Thai, Japanese), numerous tenses which don't exist in my native language (English) etc. And that's why I want to learn these languages! Because they're different, seem difficult to ME, are some kind of a challenge and because simplifying various languages would be like reducing many further aspects of my biggest hobby and passion. I really don't think that such dicussions make any sense (like this one, and the one about getting rid of all Chinese charactes in this language).

Have a nice day, and learn a few new words instead of discussing about simplyfing them :)

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6951 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 16 of 69
19 September 2007 at 8:01am | IP Logged 
joan.carles wrote:
I think that Darobat and FSI have already replied what I think myself about the question.

So no need for to add anything else but comment that

Quote:
Ahh... But the French method is a holdover of counting things by twenties. I think that the Celtic languages have a similar convention... In its own way, it's logical. However, since many people use languages that have a purely decimal convention, counting by twenties can seem a little odd.

Do you really think that French (counting with soixante-dix, quatre-vingts...) or Basques (hogei ta amar = twenty-ten) or any other language with 'strange' ways of counting have more problems than you when it comes to counting? Do you think they can't count as fast as you or as efficiently as you?

Not at all. You've just quoted me pointing out that counting in groups of twenty is logical. It's a matter of getting used to it. All that I said was that for someone (e.g. lloydkirk) who is used to a purely decimal convention, counting by twenties seems a little odd, since that person is already hard-wired to think in groups of ten.

This discussion contains 69 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version