70 messages over 9 pages: 1 2 35 6 7 ... 4 ... 8 9 Next >>
Kugel
United States
Joined 6348 days ago

497 posts - 555 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 25 of 70
25 November 2007 at 10:31am | IP Logged 
Why could there not be a program that covers all the grammar? Is it that unrealistic? You mentioned that it took about 1 year for you to author this particular Mandarin program.
1 person has voted this message useful

volapuk49
Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6077 days ago

73 posts - 86 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Yiddish, Modern Hebrew
Studies: Esperanto

Message 26 of 70
25 November 2007 at 11:04am | IP Logged 
There are a few points which come to mind in attempting to reply.

Hodder, the British publisher, publishes two courses which are actually one course in two parts, the Foundation
and Advanced. They have crammed as much as possible onto the CDs. For example, the 8 Foundation CDs
contain 10 hours worth of material. The 4 Advanced contain 5 hours, 20 minutes worth of recording.

So I have had to choose the material that I believe would give the learner the most impact in speaking. This has
been agonizing for me since there is so much that I have had to leave out.

I am an adherent of the Pareto Principle or the 80/20 rule. In practical terms this means that in any field a
comparatively limited amount of material ( in language learning terms) will get you about 80%+ of the results. In
this case, if you learn about 20% of the grammar you will get 80%+ spoken ability.

Beyond this point you will have to invest a lot more time in order to get more skill in speaking than with the
original 20% you learned.

In my opinion, it is not helpful for learners to give them everything at once. It just doesn't translate into
appreciable ease of speaking/ conversation.

You must get to first base in order to get comfortable and really start using Mandarin. Mandarin, because of its
sounds, tones, lack of cognates, etc. takes a bit longer to assimilate for Western learners than, say, Western
languages.

Take care.

Harold

zorglub
Pentaglot
France
Joined 6810 days ago

441 posts - 504 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (Written), Turkish, Mandarin

Message 27 of 70
25 November 2007 at 10:31pm | IP Logged 
Hello, there !
I just visited the website: Is it the beginner's course you're talking about ?
http://www.hoddereducation.co.uk/Title/9780340957226/Michel_ Thomas_Method_Mandarin_Chinese_Introductory_Course.htm

I may have missed something, it is tated that the method is purely audio and it relies on using gestures, specifically hand movements for teaching the tones . How can you do this the audio way ?

By the way , this sounds an almost affordable method.
Thanks
Z.

Edited by zorglub on 25 November 2007 at 11:14pm

volapuk49
Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6077 days ago

73 posts - 86 votes 

Message 28 of 70
26 November 2007 at 12:29pm | IP Logged 
The method used is purely audio. It follows the principles used by Michel Thomas in his long teaching career.

I studied with him for almost ten years. He was able to teach students proficiency in Western languages in a few
days of instruction. No homework, memorization, testing, practise or writing was involved.

For most of his life none of this was available in recorded form. You paid many thousands to study with him .

In adapting this method to Mandarin I had to overcome the immense hurdle of teaching tones which is a stumbling
block for many students.

I created a method ( patent pending) which uses hand movements to imbed the tones in your neurological system
so they are there forever. It works quite well.

AlexL
Diglot
United States
Joined 6894 days ago

197 posts - 277 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 29 of 70
26 November 2007 at 3:13pm | IP Logged 
Zorglub--the link that you posted is only the first couple hours, not the full course. (However, based on the table of contents, it includes more than half the material taught. Why is this?)

volapuk49
Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6077 days ago

73 posts - 86 votes 

Message 30 of 70
26 November 2007 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
You are right. The Introductory course comprises the first two of eight CDs ( Foundation Course).

The Introduction is just an appetizer. The Foundation and Advanced are the main course. If you are seriously
thinking of getting the Foundation then I would not suggest getting the Introduction unless you don't mind the
extra expense.

My publishers will hate me for writing what I have but that is my opinion.

I am the author and co-teacher of the Mandarin course.

I am certain that the first two CDs do not contain most of the material in the course. Up until the very end we
are adding new patterns and vocabulary.

Harold Goodman

zorglub
Pentaglot
France
Joined 6810 days ago

441 posts - 504 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (Written), Turkish, Mandarin

Message 31 of 70
26 November 2007 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
Thanks but unless I'm mistaken you don't tell me how you use hand movements in an audio method, that was one of my queries.
Thanks !
volapuk49 wrote:
The method used is purely audio. It follows the principles used by Michel Thomas in his long teaching career.

I studied with him for almost ten years. He was able to teach students proficiency in Western languages in a few
days of instruction. No homework, memorization, testing, practise or writing was involved.

For most of his life none of this was available in recorded form. You paid many thousands to study with him .

In adapting this method to Mandarin I had to overcome the immense hurdle of teaching tones which is a stumbling
block for many students.

I created a method ( patent pending) which uses hand movements to imbed the tones in your neurological system
so they are there forever. It works quite well.

volapuk49
Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6077 days ago

73 posts - 86 votes 

Message 32 of 70
26 November 2007 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
Here is how the hand gestures are used and taught.

There are many Chinese languages. All of them use tones along with specific pronunciation of words to
distinguish meaning. Mandarin, the most common Chinese language and the one taught in this course, has four
tones.

Very few Western students of Mandarin get the tones right on a consistent basis. There has been no workable
method to teach them that I am aware of. Using the wrong tone can change the meaning of the word. In
addition, wrong tones mean that you aren't well understood by the native-speakers.

This approach involves teaching the students ( you as well as the two on the CDs) to do several things.

1) Clearly be able to distinguish and reproduce each tone. No other course pulls this off or even emphasizes it
on a methodical basis with feedback on the CDs from live students over 10 hours. I just received an audio
course that says the tones are important and then omits them entirely. The same for a book to teach Chinese by
a well-known author of Chinese teach yourself guides that I recently picked up.

2) Link each tone with a specific hand/finger gesture.

3) Link each tone with a specific color.

You are taught how to do this in detail. It is reinforced ad infinitum throughout the entire course. Every single
new vocabulary item is linked to the gestures. Every time you answer a question ( the basis of the teaching) you
are asked to make the associated gestures. After a while this becomes automatic. It implants the material in you
on a level beyond the normal way of recalling or remembering.

This has just been developed for this course. It was never used by Michel Thomas.

This discussion contains 70 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version