1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (Written), Turkish, Mandarin

Message 33 of 70
27 November 2007 at 5:56am | IP Logged 
volapuk49 wrote:

Harold

Hi, Volapuk Harold !
I requested a demo CD on the michelthomas website.
But the website does not allow to chose a demo CD of either arabic chinese russian but :
Arabic, Mandarin Chinese & Russian as a whole Should I infer the demo is for all three languages ?
Thanks.

1 person has voted this message useful

volapuk49
Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6076 days ago

73 posts - 86 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Yiddish, Modern Hebrew
Studies: Esperanto

Message 34 of 70
27 November 2007 at 9:21am | IP Logged 
You know more than I do about this. I would just request whatever they are offering.

They just contacted me to let me know that they will shortly offer downloads for free of this material on their
website. When I get the details I will post the information.

Take care.

Harold

Maxwell
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6491 days ago

29 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: French, English*

Message 35 of 70
27 November 2007 at 12:03pm | IP Logged 
Zorglub,

The demo CD contains tracks from all three of the new languages i.e. Arabic, Russian and Mandarin.

It contains the first two tracks of each language and the last two tracks to see how far the students have progressed.

Maxwell.

zorglub
Pentaglot
France
Joined 6809 days ago

441 posts - 504 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (Written), Turkish, Mandarin

Message 36 of 70
28 November 2007 at 1:57pm | IP Logged 
This sounds interesting. Maybe I'll start chinese before I'm done (not with Arabic) with Pimsleur Arabic 2 ?

Maybe this should be thought about with the mirror neurons system physiology in mind.

For those interested in this breakthrough discovery by an Italiean research group in the 90ies, I can send you
some material found on the internet. But there was a 2006 Scientific American on the topic and books in
English and Italian are available by some of the italian searchers. Nobel Price ahead deserved, this is my guess.
Mirror neurons are the basis for imitation learning, probably for language acquisition, for empathy , for
guessing the intentions of others, also for rivalry and wars according to some philosophers/anthropologists,
through the mechanisms of "mimetic desire" a mind mechanism at the root of human behaviour, of the
scapegoat phenomenon, according to rené Girard, who stated his hypotheses based upon literature / religious
texts. That was 40 years before the mirror neurons were discovered almost by accident.

volapuk49 wrote:
Here is how the hand gestures are used and taught.

There are many Chinese languages. All of them use tones along with specific pronunciation of words to
distinguish meaning. Mandarin, the most common Chinese language and the one taught in this course, has
four
tones.

Very few Western students of Mandarin get the tones right on a consistent basis. There has been no workable
method to teach them that I am aware of. Using the wrong tone can change the meaning of the word. In
addition, wrong tones mean that you aren't well understood by the native-speakers.

This approach involves teaching the students ( you as well as the two on the CDs) to do several things.

1) Clearly be able to distinguish and reproduce each tone. No other course pulls this off or even emphasizes it
on a methodical basis with feedback on the CDs from live students over 10 hours. I just received an audio
course that says the tones are important and then omits them entirely. The same for a book to teach Chinese
by
a well-known author of Chinese teach yourself guides that I recently picked up.

2) Link each tone with a specific hand/finger gesture.

3) Link each tone with a specific color.

You are taught how to do this in detail. It is reinforced ad infinitum throughout the entire course. Every single
new vocabulary item is linked to the gestures. Every time you answer a question ( the basis of the teaching) you
are asked to make the associated gestures. After a while this becomes automatic. It implants the material in
you
on a level beyond the normal way of recalling or remembering.

This has just been developed for this course. It was never used by Michel Thomas.

Edited by zorglub on 28 November 2007 at 5:53pm

volapuk49
Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6076 days ago

73 posts - 86 votes 

Message 37 of 70
28 November 2007 at 4:33pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the information on mirror neurons.

I have been independently studying learning for many years since I was early on labeled a slow learner and
penalized for it ( I sat in the corner of the class).

Later in life I trained as a physician and have practised as such for the last 17 years. I have often noted
physiologic changes in patients when working with them. Much of what I have developed is based on my own
observations and hunches.

I also have training in other disciplines which were helpful.

Michel Thomas often told me that we know next to nothing about how people actually learn. I agree with him
based on my experiences.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6279 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 38 of 70
03 December 2007 at 9:52am | IP Logged 
I just received my free CD with Arabic, Russian and Mandarin sample lessons (17 tracks, 15 of them language lessons!). They sent it air mail to Germany at no cost, I just filled out the form...

volapuk49
Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6076 days ago

73 posts - 86 votes 

Message 39 of 70
09 December 2007 at 1:34pm | IP Logged 
We just completed the trial of the Advanced Mandarin course. The student we used went through the Foundation in
June, 2007 and was asked not to review ( revise) or use any of what he learned thereafter. He told me that he didn't
attempt any use of Chinese, as requested.

Today, six months later, he began the Advanced. For about the first half-hour he was a bit rusty and needed
prompting. Then he just opened up and it all came back. For the rest of the course he needed surprisingly little
reminding or help with the old vocabulary and sentence patterns. When he did he connected quite fast.

Both Jingtao ( my Chinese co-teacher) and I were very happy with the trial. She had told me many times that she
couldn't believe that after six months of absolutely no review the student would remember anything. Today she told
me that she wants to use this method to learn a language.

Kugel
United States
Joined 6347 days ago

497 posts - 555 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 40 of 70
11 December 2007 at 1:38pm | IP Logged 
Volapuk49, why exactly is the Michel Thomas name used for these new courses? This is how I see the method:

At the level of observation, the language learner hears/reads a complex sound/script system(a few sentences) and it is mostly unintelligible. The language leaner can solve this problem by studying what the sound system is really composed of, finding out that it's reducible to an elementary form. This is simply Locke's "elementary sensations" or Newton's corpuscularian world view on physics. I'm amazed as to why there are not scripts or homebrew language programs following this language learning model.    

I think what makes these courses so popular is the ease of forming complex ideas from elementary grammar concepts. A lot of other courses assume that the language learner somehow has innate knowledge of grammar that can assimilate a language just by listening and repeating/guessing.     

This discussion contains 70 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version