Australia
Joined 6121 days ago

81 posts - 85 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Serbo-Croatian

Message 1 of 43
26 February 2008 at 2:05pm | IP Logged 
HOw supportive are the native speakers of your target language of your efforts to learn their language ?
1 person has voted this message useful

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6579 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 2 of 43
26 February 2008 at 10:58pm | IP Logged 
Most Japanese I have met love being able to have conversations with foreigners in Japanese. They also carry the impression that their own language is unique and difficult, so they tend to be impressed when a foreigner has learned it to an advanced level.

(Although they are more impressed when caucasians learn Japanese than when, say, Koreans learn it.)

Edited by Captain Haddock on 26 February 2008 at 10:58pm

andee
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 6888 days ago

681 posts - 724 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Korean, French

Message 3 of 43
29 February 2008 at 9:22am | IP Logged 
Koreans are usually shocked if you speak Korean and want to know more about you. This is even more so where I live now (Donghae) than it was when I was living in Seoul.

qklilx
United States
Joined 5997 days ago

459 posts - 477 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 43
03 March 2008 at 12:43pm | IP Logged 
The Japanese are often, but not always, shocked when I start speaking to them in Japanese. If they aren't impressed by the initial speech, using a bit of slang or a pop culture reference gets them almost everytime.

As for Koreans, andee is right. Since most foreigners, especially westerners, do not know much about Korea, if they begin speaking Korean suddenly you are a celebrity. It's easy to make Korean friends, and they become HIGHLY supportive of your progress in the language. Even moreso than Japanese people are.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Asiafeverr
Diglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6153 days ago

346 posts - 431 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese, Shanghainese, German

Message 5 of 43
03 March 2008 at 3:31pm | IP Logged 
Foreigners who can speak Mandarin at a near native level often go on various talk shows on TV in China.
4 persons have voted this message useful

epingchris
Triglot
Taiwan
shih-chuan.blog.ntu.
Joined 6839 days ago

273 posts - 284 votes 
5 sounds
Studies: Taiwanese, Mandarin*, English, FrenchB2
Studies: Japanese, German, Turkish

Message 6 of 43
05 March 2008 at 8:55am | IP Logged 
Taiwanese people would certainly be impressed if you speak some conversational Mandarin, but I wonder if they're helpful enough. It's not that they are unwilling to help you learn, quite the contrary, but the problem is that often they want to practice their English themselves - so badly that they would forget that you're the foreigner there wanting to learn a language that's vital to your survival in a foreign country. And many people are under the impression that Mandarin is too hard to learn for foreigners, so they would tolerate a lot of mistakes - not exactly good news for learners. If you ask them to, however, I'm sure they would be glad to help you with corrections.

Alexandra
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5909 days ago

19 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: Russian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese

Message 7 of 43
16 March 2008 at 12:20am | IP Logged 
Spanish speakers with whom I interacted in the very beginning of my studies were very supportive. The only problem was - they were too polite to tell me when I was making mistakes, no matter how much I begged them too! Only recently I have met people who are actually willing to let me know when I commit the blunders.

Same with Portuguese - very supportive, but rarely helpful when it comes to mistakes.

Maddoggirl
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5967 days ago

15 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Italian, Latin

Message 8 of 43
23 March 2008 at 4:52am | IP Logged 
The two French girls who assist us with oral work at school are lovely and can't do enough for us. They are politely corrective but never pernickety. However, that said, French people I have met outside of school never seem to be impressed by my mad French skillz. Two French women came into the shop where I work a month or so ago. In an attempt to be impressive, I said "Vous etes francais?" Whereupon one of the women stopped her conversation and snapped "Vous etes francaises!"

7 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: 2 3 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version