Russian Federation
Joined 4862 days ago

498 posts - 905 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Azerbaijani

Message 41 of 43
19 August 2011 at 5:54pm | IP Logged 
Matheus wrote:
Answering this thread, we actually like very much when foreigners are trying to speak our native language, but be careful with the person you choose. Non-educated people may make fun of you and don't help anything.

When I got lost near Pinocoteca, I tried to ask a few people for directions, but they simply ignored me and kept on walking. I then got a wealthy-looking couple to help me, who also told me to "watch myself in this area" and not deal with "the people here." Something is the matter with social stratification in Brazil.

People with good education were very friendly indeed. On the subway, I was looking at the map with a puzzled expression on my face when some guy approached me and offered help with a choice of three different languages! I was really surprised because it has been my experience that whenever somebody approaches you in a public place, they invariably want to get something out of you.

Edited by espejismo on 19 August 2011 at 5:58pm

1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4679 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 42 of 43
02 September 2011 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
In the end I got lots of opportunities to have conversations in Korean. Only a couple of people always addressed me in English, because their English was so superior to my Korean that it just made more sense to speak English. Others were happy to speak Korean with me even if their English was quite good. People were definitely positively surprised that I know some Korean and made great efforts to communicate with me, use really simple speech, speak slowly, rephrase sentences I didn't understand...
It was so great to experience that I could converse about all kinds of topics in Korean, even if there definitely were severe limits.

Neri
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4674 days ago

16 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 43 of 43
09 September 2011 at 7:29pm | IP Logged 
In my experience French Canadians are tickled pink if you speak French well and are a non-native speaker... especially once they realize I'm not Canadian. Some Quebeckers (a minority in my experience) have an attitude that you'd better learn French if you're going to be in Quebec, and others, here in Montreal, speak very good English and switch to it immediately if you seem to be struggling at all, because it's easier and they maybe underestimate your abilities.

So they're not always helpful in terms of learning the language, but most have a positive attitude about it and are suitably impressed by advanced learners. It tends to lead to greater social opportunities for me than I experienced back home, because everyone is always curious why I came here, and why and how I learned French.

Some people ask me if I studied before coming here, which I think is funny/weird because they tend to do this after finding out that about two weeks after arriving I started studying at a French-language university... obviously you don't do that if you've only studied the language for two weeks!

French people seem to have a similar reaction, but I know far fewer of them.

Edited by Neri on 09 September 2011 at 7:30pm

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version