Switzerland
Joined 6227 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 9 of 63
28 February 2008 at 4:03am | IP Logged 
MarcoDiAngelo wrote:
I think it would be great combined with L-R method.

By L-R method, you can reach listening comprehension in very short time. And memorizing favourite passages, poetry, and dialogues may be the perfect way to learn to speak! I will certainly try it.

I'll be extremely curious to hear your results.

I've memorized short things (Assimil dialogs, for instance), but nothing substantial. I find myself spontaneously memorizing with L-R, but in a relatively small and scattered way, and primarily as sound; I can't spell them entirely consistently at this point.

1 person has voted this message useful

MarcoDiAngelo
Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 6235 days ago

208 posts - 345 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, English, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Thai, Polish

Message 10 of 63
28 February 2008 at 4:17am | IP Logged 
Schliemann himself wrote that he had compared the original and the translation in order to pick up all the vocabulary. And he "shadowed" English in the church in order to achieve good pronunciation. An audiobook and a good parallel text make this a hundred times easier.

I will gladly let you know about my results, Volte, but at this point I don't have much time, and certainly the process itself will perhaps take a great amount of time. I would very much like to know how to maintain the knowledge of such memorized poems, books, &c.

Edited by MarcoDiAngelo on 28 February 2008 at 4:17am

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5939 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 11 of 63
28 February 2008 at 6:57am | IP Logged 
This sounds like a great idea. I'm going start small with Edgar Allen Poe's "The Black Cat", "El Gato Negro", from

http://scratchblog.wordpress.com/audiolibros/

It should be short enough to master, before moving onto something more substantial.

Edited by DaraghM on 28 February 2008 at 6:58am

JasonChoi
Diglot
Korea, South
Joined 6147 days ago

274 posts - 298 votes 
Speaks: English*, Korean
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese, Latin

Message 12 of 63
28 February 2008 at 8:07am | IP Logged 
MarcoDiAngelo wrote:
I think it would be great combined with L-R method.

By L-R method, you can reach listening comprehension in very short time. And memorizing favourite passages, poetry, and dialogues may be the perfect way to learn to speak! I will certainly try it.

This is precisely what I was thinking as well. It seems to be a good 'balance' between the L-R method (which was a bit dry for me since I felt like I wasn't really learning) and the 10,000 sentences method (which was a bit tedious since it required that I spend a tremendous amount of time creating my own sentences).

So far, I'm really enjoying this approach since the instant feedback tells me what I can or cannot say, and I don't have to go through the trouble of making 10,000 sentences.

Edited by JasonChoi on 28 February 2008 at 10:23am

Sydney
Groupie
Yugoslavia
Joined 6240 days ago

58 posts - 71 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Serbian

Message 13 of 63
28 February 2008 at 10:19am | IP Logged 
I'm memorizing a book that has a lot of dialogue-- I can't say that I will be able to recite the book from page one to the last page but so far I've already used two of the phrases in conversation so I'm happy. :)

leosmith
United States
Joined 6338 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Studies: Tagalog

Message 14 of 63
28 February 2008 at 11:28am | IP Logged 
Hmm..so we're memorizing books now? How would one memorize a book? I'm seeing there are several people trying this, but would someone care to give a detailed description of how to memorize a book? The most interesting method I know of for doing this is the memory palace.

kewms
United States
Joined 5975 days ago

160 posts - 159 votes 
Studies: Japanese

Message 15 of 63
28 February 2008 at 11:56am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
Hmm..so we're memorizing books now? How would one memorize a book? I'm seeing there are several people trying this, but would someone care to give a detailed description of how to memorize a book? The most interesting method I know of for doing this is the memory palace.

Actors memorize large chunks of material all the time. Asking your favorite search engine about "memorization for actors" will turn up lots of tips.

The thing about memorizing a large written work -- as opposed to a vocabulary list or a collection of isolated facts -- is that all the pieces fit together. One sentences flows into the next in a rhythmical, logical manner.

Katherine
2 persons have voted this message useful

Asiafeverr
Diglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6130 days ago

346 posts - 431 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese, Shanghainese, German

Message 16 of 63
28 February 2008 at 12:53pm | IP Logged 
Wikihow wrote:
At the World Memory Championships, top competitors memorize the order of 20 shuffled decks of cards in an hour

I can do this in 3 minutes o.O

Edit: Nevermind, I thought the article said "a deck of 20 cards", 20 decks is over 1000 cards.

Edited by Asiafeverr on 28 February 2008 at 4:57pm

This discussion contains 63 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version