kealist.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6035 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Uyghur, Mandarin, Shanghainese

Message 18 of 62
04 April 2008 at 9:49am | IP Logged 
coitoergosum wrote:
Thanks. I've just checked your pdf file. It seems OK. Unfortunately pdf format is no good for me, because you cannot use a pop-up dictionary. Why don't you make an rtf or doc file with cells? That would solve the problem.
Thanks for your great links once more.

You are welcome to use what I made; however, I'm not going to remake the document for you. It fits my purposes, and I made it about 4 months ago. Feel free to adapt it to your preference. I am putting the word document link back up as well so you can do what you want.

Edited by kealist on 04 April 2008 at 9:50am

1 person has voted this message useful

kealist
United States
Joined 6035 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 

Message 20 of 62
04 April 2008 at 10:34am | IP Logged 
coitoergosum wrote:
You needn't do anything especially for me.
That way would be much better for every one, even for yourself. You'll find it out, after a while.

Thanks again, for what you've done so far.

I wouldn't agree with you more, but the time cost of doing it at this point is too high for me. I've learned a lot about parallel text creation since I made that document. I'd just rather use my time work on creating new texts.   

Edited by kealist on 04 April 2008 at 10:36am

kealist
United States
Joined 6035 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 

Message 22 of 62
08 April 2008 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
The spacing should be trivial on the Ah Q formatting because of how I broke it up, and maybe it is the case for the Anna document, but I think I didn't break it up so cleanly.

Bought a bag of language books from the library for $7 yesterday:

Hör Gut Zu: A Beginning German Audio-Lingual Reader
Beginning German
Shorter College German
Essentials of Reading German
A Standard German Vocabulary of 2932 Word and 1500 Idioms
An Outline of German Grammar
Dent's Treasuries of German Literature: German Short Stories

Japanese Now Vol 2
Naganuma's Practical Japanese (2 tapes)
Japanese book (Not sure what it is offhand)

College Korean

Roots of the Russian Language
A Practical Handbook of Russian Style
Spoken Russian Book Two
Advanced Conversational Russian
How to Pronounce Russian

Études Sur La Langue Ossète

New Latin Grammar

Charles Dickens' Dzwony (polish)

Buntús Cainte: A First Step in Spoken Irish (part one through three)

Two Chinese books (not quite sure what they are)

Teaching Language in Context
Teaching Foreign-Language Skills

Rodale's Quinto Lingos

The Quinto Lingo's seem like a real treasure to me. Each article is organized in columns of the German, French, English, Spanish and Italian texts side by side.   

Japanese:

Scriptorium Lesson 30. Was fun. Whited out about 4 lessons worth of romanji and the phonetic transcription.

Mandarin:

Worked on some bilingual texts today at work, no L-Ring yet.

Uyghur:

Started working on a bilingual text of the only thing available in both English and uyghur of length. This will be good practice, although I would like to do scriptorium with this, I will type it, so I can have something others can use. I will get a friend to record the audio for this, so I can do some L-R later on! Having a good English translation is already helping. If I can do at least a page and a half of typing a day, I will be making some great progress in being able to read comfortably. I am excited about this.

Edited by kealist on 09 April 2008 at 12:52am

kealist
United States
Joined 6035 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 

Message 23 of 62
21 April 2008 at 3:28pm | IP Logged 
Been too long since I have updated. I got a bad sore throat for over a week, so that killed my desire to study language.   I started back my discipline today.

I've been doing some thinking of my long term goals of languages that I would like to learn, and I want to start thinking about what is most important. Items with a * are languages I have studied or am currently studying.   There are also languages such as Ecuadorian Quechua that I have a continually improving grammatical understanding of but no desire to learn. This summer I will be working with another language such as Wutun Salar, or Monguor which I don't know how much interest I have.

Uyghur* - on my way to fluency
Mandarin* - simple conversation only
Japanese* - getting to a conversational level
French* - needs to be refreshed, used to be conversational
Latin* - used to be at a high level, but much is forgotten.
Greek
German
Hebrew
Russian
Korean

Is there going to be some kind of challenge this summer for learning a language (like the previous 6 week challenge) that people are interested in? I would like to try it with Hebrew.

In a few days, I will make some more comments about stronger desires for the languages I wish to learn.

Japanese:

Did Assimil lesson 31 scriptorium.   Talked to my Japanese friend for about 45 minutes in Japanese.

Uyghur

scriptorium for about 30 minutes. 1 hour of class (uyghur-english translation).

Edited by kealist on 21 April 2008 at 3:53pm

kealist
United States
Joined 6035 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 

Message 24 of 62
29 April 2008 at 11:26am | IP Logged 
Total annihilation challenge: Mandarin

So, after thinking about my last post and my plans.   I feel that I should spend much much more time on the language I'm working on this summer before moving on to something else and spreading myself thinner.   I've been pretty lazy about Mandarin, but it is something that I would really like to work on.   

I plan to continue my L-Ring for Mandarin, and try to get at least an hour if not two a day.   But I am going to have a plan.   My plan is this: I will skip over Anna Karenina for something slightly easier at first. I plan to do L-Ring of these books in this order.

1. Sword of the Yue Maiden - 越女剑 (1 hour * 3) = 3 hours
2. True Story of Ah Q - 阿Q正传 (2 hours * 3) = 6 hours
3. The Book and the Sword - 書劍恩仇錄 (36.5 hours * 3) = 109.5 hours

Total Time: 115.5 hours
New Text Time: 39.5 hours

I think this will be a better method to pursue than starting off with Anna. In fact, Anna might not be a good book to do--not so sure. I'm thinking of starting an actual Chinese novel such as The book and the Sword afterwards.    But 1 and 2 are definitely easier reads. I may not be able to start until after school ends (on the 18th)

I also think I'm going change my log into two or three logs separated by language.

Edited by kealist on 29 April 2008 at 4:35pm

This discussion contains 62 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version