SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6708 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 25 of 62
29 April 2008 at 1:24pm | IP Logged 
I just want to say that your log is very inspiring. I have downloaded "Sword of the Yue Maiden" from the links you have provided, have blind-shadowed it a couple of times and will also listen-read it in the near future.

Keep us posted!
1 person has voted this message useful

kealist
United States
kealist.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6035 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Uyghur, Mandarin, Shanghainese

Message 26 of 62
29 April 2008 at 3:17pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
I just want to say that your log is very inspiring. I have downloaded "Sword of the Yue Maiden" from the links you have provided, have blind-shadowed it a couple of times and will also listen-read it in the near future.

Keep us posted!

Great! I am glad to hear someone is using some of those resources I spent so much time organizing! :) Please let me know how L-Ring goes!

kealist
United States
Joined 6035 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 

Message 27 of 62
12 May 2008 at 9:43am | IP Logged 
Just an update.   

I watched about 26 hours of Chinese tv last week. I learned a few words with subtitles, but not a whole lot.   I did start to notice a difference in logic with Chinese and English though. Can't really qualitatively state it though.

I started working on the first short story in Breaking into Japanese Literature Natsume Souseki's First Night because I was getting tired of doing Assimil lessons. But it's pretty slow going and it's been a couple days.   Mother's day was mainly the reason

After this week, I will start the Mandarin TAC (once finals are over).

kealist
United States
Joined 6035 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 

Message 28 of 62
13 May 2008 at 12:10pm | IP Logged 
Yesterday I started on RTK again. I am up through about 215 right now.   The logic of characters is making more sense to me, somehow.    I am actually enjoying it.

I'm having a bit of an internal conflict on whether to do Mandarin or Japanese full on this summer. I kind of feel like I should immerse myself in one rather than both. My Japanese is better and kind of more interesting, but Chinese is much more important in my career goals. It feels like time is so short, but I think I should focus on one first and the second later.   However, I think that RTK should be helpful in both cases.

kumori
United States
Joined 6626 days ago

9 posts - 9 votes
Studies: Mandarin

Message 29 of 62
26 May 2008 at 2:35am | IP Logged 
Yes, RTK would be very helpful in learning chinese characters as well --both traditional or simplified! As you already know, learning how to remember and write characters by building them up from their individual components is such a powerful and effective method. Finally characters seem to have some sort of structure --not just an arbitrary combination of strokes.

After you finish RTK and begin to focus on Chinese, you'll see the same character primitives/structures popping up in the hanzi not covered in RTK vol. 1. You can then simply apply the Heisig method to learn these characters.

In my opinion, the material in Heisig's book is like the alphabet of chinese characters. You shouldn't focus too intensively on memorizing characters until having first mastered RTK vol. 1. It's a matter of both efficiency and effectiveness.

Just my 2 cents....

kealist
United States
Joined 6035 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 

Message 30 of 62
13 June 2008 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
kumori wrote:
Yes, RTK would be very helpful in learning chinese characters as well --both traditional or simplified! As you already know, learning how to remember and write characters by building them up from their individual components is such a powerful and effective method. Finally characters seem to have some sort of structure --not just an arbitrary combination of strokes.

After you finish RTK and begin to focus on Chinese, you'll see the same character primitives/structures popping up in the hanzi not covered in RTK vol. 1. You can then simply apply the Heisig method to learn these characters.

In my opinion, the material in Heisig's book is like the alphabet of chinese characters. You shouldn't focus too intensively on memorizing characters until having first mastered RTK vol. 1. It's a matter of both efficiency and effectiveness.

Just my 2 cents....

Thanks for the comment. I've not been on her for a long time, mainly because I find that I waste a lot of time reading stuff on this site rather than being productive.   So one quick status update on my Total Annihilation 2008 of Mandarin.   I've been going through Zhongwen.com paper dictionary and memorizing characters using an SRS. I think I am past the annoying part, where characters are untypable. I was hoping to get through around 1000 characters per week, but of course, it's a little bit more than I can choose--because of the need to type each character into the SRS.   I'm at 700 character now in about two weeks, and it's been pretty enjoyable. There are a few that are really not sticking well, but for the most part I can do them without much thought.   I hope I can make it to 3000 within the next 3 weeks and then continue on slowly and do sentences at the same time.   I also have been listening to chinese as much as possible all the time, and it's been good. Found taiwanese show I like Corner with Love. I've been watching the episodes a couple times. I wish it didn't have subtitles, but I try to cover them up with another window generally.   

So that's it for a while. Maybe next time I will be at 3000.    

kealist
United States
Joined 6035 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 

Message 31 of 62
28 August 2008 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
So, my summer was a little less productive than I wanted, but I still made progress. Only made it through 1100 characters. But I'm slowly trekking on.   Watching and listening to a lot of chinese stuff. I may take a break from the zhongwen.com chars and go to Cracking the Chinese Puzzles (T.K. Ann) to see if it helps my progression at all.

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5758 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 32 of 62
28 August 2008 at 11:56pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for your log! When seeing the link for Mandarin audio of a Harry Potter book, I almost shrieked!

This discussion contains 62 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version