United States
kealist.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6025 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Uyghur, Mandarin, Shanghainese

Message 57 of 62
04 October 2011 at 12:50am | IP Logged 
It's been a long, long while since I have updated. I have not been studying language
since I last posted, but I have been teaching ESL. There are a lot of challenges
involved in trying to direct learners (the "herding cats" metaphor) seems appropriate).
At first I was sucking at it, but I think I have changed enough to feel more
comfortable and confident of my teaching style. Throughout the last few years I have
been exposed to Mandarin (and my trip earlier this year to China was much easier--I
could get around without any trouble) even though I haven't been studying.

In the last two weeks, I have started studying Japanese going back through Assimil
lessons and listening to them while I jog. I find that after listening to them about
five or six times my memory of the meaning comes back.   

I finally bought a ticket to goof around in Taiwan for a month in December. So ideally
I would like to study up a lot so I have a lot of good opportunities to practice there
and get to know some folks. We'll see. I've been thinking about using an Amazon gift
card to buy Assimil Chinese Vol 1 & 2 rather than using the French version I have. I
just need to do something rather than debate!

L-R French sounds appealing right now, but I don't want to distract myself too much
1 person has voted this message useful

kealist
United States
Joined 6025 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 

Message 58 of 62
04 October 2011 at 12:52am | IP Logged 
Also, probably quite a few links on my first post of resources are broken. I will try to
spend some time next week fixing those, but I am traveling this week, so it's not a high
priority.

kealist
United States
Joined 6025 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 

Message 59 of 62
24 February 2012 at 12:45am | IP Logged 
This is somewhat the typical "haven't posted for a while"

I've been listening to Chinese and Japanese on and off just changing my environment.
Made some progress on Mandarin while I was in Taiwan for a month in Dec/Jan.   

I have a TW friend who speaks about six languages with a high degree of fluency.
That's German, French, Mandarin, Taiwanese, Japanese, Korean.   He swears by the
Hippo Family Club method which he picked up in Japan.   I researched it a little
online, but
seems rather hype-ish.   He lent me his English copy of their "Anyone Can Learn 7
Languages" and I read it, but it's still been difficult for me to figure out how this
acquisition things works.   Today he gave me a copy of the recordings (7 cds worth)
because he was under the same impression as me when he first heard of it. I started
listening to the CDs and I have to say I am actually impressed.   

Let me give a break down of how it works.   Each CD is the same story (Approximately 50
min) presented 7 different ways.   The first way is this:

K= Korean
G= German
J= Japanese
C= Mandarin
S= Spanish
E= English
F= French

1K 0:23
2G 1:00
3J 1:58
4C 1:43
5S 1:17
6E 1:35
7K 0:42
8F 2:20
9S 2:48
10J 1:56
11E 1:22
12G 1:15
13C 1:05
14F 0:38
15K 1:56
16J 1:31
17G 1:21
18F 0:42
19S 0:31
20K 1:38
21E 1:03
22C 1:34
23F 1:31
24J 2:53
25G 1:09
26S 4:28
27C 1:41
28G 1:11
29K 0:43
30E 1:02
31F 1:06
32J 2:12

So the other 6 CDs have an equivalent structure, so you get every part of the story in
each lesson, but they are all mixed up. I like this. The intent is just to have this
going as your environment and attempting to mimic it over time. I will try this for a
month and see how it goes.   Hopefully this will act as a resource for the near lack of
information about Hippo as well. I am impressed after finally seeing their materials,
but wasn't until I actually heard the audio.   Full speed, native speakers, not foreign
language material.

Edited by kealist on 24 February 2012 at 12:47am

slattery
United States
dinglabs.com
Joined 6265 days ago

13 posts - 38 votes

Message 60 of 62
25 February 2012 at 12:23am | IP Logged 
So it tells a 50 minute story, rotating through the 7 languages, about a minute at a
time. In reality, the story is fully recorded in each language, it's just packaged up in
a scrambled way. That's really interesting.

Is this method just the 50 minute story, or does your friend apply this method even
beyond the HGO / LEX resources?

kealist
United States
Joined 6025 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 

Message 61 of 62
25 February 2012 at 1:19am | IP Logged 
It seems they have the scrambled "transnational" as well as single language versions.
Although now with MP3s it's pretty easy to make your own transnational versions with
only the languages you want.    I think they have HGO in 19 languages, but the basic
set is those 7.   I think after trying this for a week, if I am feeling like
continuing, I will order some stuff from the Massachusetts office here in the States.

I can try to explain a few things that may be helpful. Each track is a scene from the
story, so that is how it is broken up. There is background music / noise that gives
you clues as to what is happening to know what part of the story it is. Their idea is
that you should constantly play the CDs while you are doing other things as well as
spending some time "singing" (What I would consider their term for shadowing) the
languages.   

This is not a cognitive approach to language learning. It is based on language
acquisition.   So my friend, views it more as an environment that is necessary to
acquire language. He thinks that LEX has made high quality materials and wants to
support them.   He uses these materials and in the same idea he rips audio from TV
shows in whatever language he is acquiring and just has them playing all the time. He
is a neurolinguist and thinks that if you are good with your mirror neurons
(imitation/mimicry of sounds) you can acquire language like a native speaker.

German and Korean are the languages I am not familiar with, so I guess those two will
be the ones I get the purest results from this.

I think this is not something a lot of people here would like, but I think I like it.   
It's slow though.   I hope to be consistent and to be able to provide my experience in
using it. I've listened to it for about 7 hours the past two days, so I am doing ok.

kealist
United States
Joined 6025 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 

Message 62 of 62
25 February 2012 at 1:22am | IP Logged 
I should also say that it can be super cheesy, but I don't mind that kind of thing. The
recordings were made in the 80s, I think. After all they love singing and dancing to
songs!

This discussion contains 62 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version