Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5853 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 49 of 66
04 March 2009 at 11:46am | IP Logged 
telephos wrote:
These letters were present in the alphabet invented by Cyril and Methodius in the 9th century. I wanted to show that having nasals in the Cyrillic script is not a problem since the first language written in this alphabet, i.e. Old Slavonic, had 2 nasal vowels like Polish. If we were to write Polish in the Cyrillic alphabet, we could restore them.

I guess you can 'resurrect' the letters but they are out of use so you might as well replace them with random invented graphemes.
1 person has voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4875 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 50 of 66
07 February 2013 at 7:29pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:

Let's look at the special characters in Polish:

ą (nasal vowel - make up a Cyrillic equivalent, perhaps "ą" also?)

ć чь

cz ч

ę (nasal vowel - make up whatever Cyrillic equivalent, perhaps "ę" also?)

ł (this is pronounced a bit like Ukrainian final "в" or English "w", but Polish already
has "B/b", so you'd need to make up a Cyrillic equivalent in order to avoid confusion.)

The nasal vowels can be spelt with the uses as it has been written before. ł can be л,
so it is not a problem.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4875 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 

Message 51 of 66
08 February 2013 at 7:21am | IP Logged 
bushwick wrote:
MarcoDiAngelo wrote:
Serbian cyrillic script uses one letter per
sound, which is not the case with Serbian latin alphabet. Thus is the more efficient.

Examples:

љ - lj
њ - nj
џ - dž

technically, lj, nj and đž are one letter.
so your argument fails. it doesn't make cyrillic any more efficient.

We know that one can transliterate from Cyrillic to Latin inambigously but not vice-
versa. But I don't know what it actually gives. How is инjекциjа actually pronounced?

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6522 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 52 of 66
08 February 2013 at 10:45am | IP Logged 
As far as I know you can transliterate unambigously between the two alphabets in Serbian - at least my materials put the two alphabets side by side and tell me that you freely can choose one or the other, letter by letter. If that isn't true then those books have lied to me.

Serbian would also be interesting from another point of view,. Its arch rival Croatian is almost uniformly written with Latin letters. You might expect Serbians to favor Cyrillic letters just to make a stance and show that they are different, but instead it seemed to me during my latest visit to the area that Latin letters are winning the game against Cyrillic, although still with almost fifty-fifty coverage to each. Could somebody with more experience tell me what the situation really is? Even though I only have limited experience with this language it doesn't seem to me that it is harder to read in Cyrillic than it is in Latin. Personally I prefer the Cyrillic letters because I already know enough languages with Roman alphabets.

Марк wrote:
The nasal vowels can be spelt with the uses as it has been written before. ł can be л, so it is not a problem.

The 'pure' l-sound behind л is already in use, so any other solution - including a totally new sign - would be better.

Edited by Iversen on 08 February 2013 at 10:53am

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4458 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 53 of 66
08 February 2013 at 10:59am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Serbian would also be interesting from another point of view,. Its arch rival Croatian is almost uniformly written with Latin letters. You might expect Serbians to favor Cyrillic letters just to make a stance and show that they are different, but instead it seemed to me during my latest visit to the area that Latin letters are winning the game against Cyrillic, although still with almost fifty-fifty coverage to each. Could somebody with more experience tell me what the situation really is? Even though I only have limited experience with this language it doesn't seem to me that it is harder to read in Cyrillic than it is in Latin. Personally I prefer the Cyrillic letters because I already know enough languages with Roman alphabets.

I don't know if it is anything to go by, but from a quick Google search I found 11 Serbian online newspapers, of which only two are in Cyrillic. If this is representative for written media in Serbia, then it certainly seems like Latin letters are winning the game.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4875 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 

Message 54 of 66
08 February 2013 at 11:01am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
As far as I know you can transliterate unambigously between the two
alphabets in Serbian - at least my materials put the two alphabets side by side and tell
me that you freely can choose one or the other, letter by letter. If that isn't true then
those books have lied to me.

Yes, I gave an example - инjекциja injekcija, both њ and нj are transliterated as nj to
the latin alphabet.
Iversen wrote:
The 'pure' l-sound behind л is already in use, so any other solution -
including a totally new sign - would be better.

I suggest to use ль for the soft sound.

Nuuskamuikkunen
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4135 days ago

21 posts - 43 votes
Speaks: Finnish*, Polish, English

Message 55 of 66
08 February 2013 at 11:38am | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:

Which is soft historically only... or if compared with Russian л.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4875 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 

Message 56 of 66
08 February 2013 at 11:39am | IP Logged 
Nuuskamuikkunen wrote:
Марк wrote:

Which is soft historically only... or if compared with Russian л.

What do you mean?

This discussion contains 66 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version