18 messages over 3 pages: 1 2 3  Next >>
Pineapple
United Kingdom
Joined 5920 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Studies: English*

Message 1 of 18
13 March 2008 at 12:01pm | IP Logged 
Hi i am new on these forums and for a long time have wanted to learn Spanish but do not know the best place to start. I was thinking that perhaps in a year or so when i know some Spanish i could do an Open Uni course but wanted to learn some at home to start with. So could anyone tell me the best way to begin as im not sure what books/cds are best.

Also do the people who are currently learning a language at home find that they can learn sufficiently, as i have always been skeptical on how much you can actually learn from these books, cd etc.
Also How do you find it when it comes to learning how you write what you can speak?

Edited by Pineapple on 13 March 2008 at 12:04pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Cage
Diglot
aka a.ardaschira, Athena, Michael Thomas
United States
Joined 6444 days ago

382 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 2 of 18
13 March 2008 at 1:53pm | IP Logged 
If you are willing to put in time and effort on it you will actually do better than taking classes. I would suggest starting with Pimsleur. It is kind of expensive and even though all 3 levels include 45 hours of audio it will not take you that far very little reading practice. But what it does teach it teaches very well. After that I would suggest Learning Spanish Like Crazy and then FSI. Assimil is generally a good method if you prefer the Spanish of Spain rather than Latin America. After you have been studying a while you should be digging into materials produced by native speakers for native speakers. Watch Spanish tv and listen to Spanish radio. Read news from the Spanish speaking world online. Practicing speaking with native speakers is a definite must! Reading everything you can get is very important too. Reading outloud to myself seemed to help me internalize the language. Using a variety of resources is best to achieve fluency.

Edited by Cage on 13 March 2008 at 1:55pm

BGreco
Joined 6213 days ago

211 posts - 222 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 3 of 18
13 March 2008 at 1:55pm | IP Logged 
I'd skip Pimsleur and go right to LSLC. It covers a lot more than Pimsleur a lot quicker.

Cage
Diglot
United States
Joined 6444 days ago

382 posts - 393 votes 

Message 4 of 18
13 March 2008 at 1:58pm | IP Logged 
BGreco, I agree with you but LSLC maybe a bit challenging for for some with no experience in the language.

BGreco
Joined 6213 days ago

211 posts - 222 votes 
3 sounds

Message 5 of 18
13 March 2008 at 2:04pm | IP Logged 
True. Maybe listening to Michel Thomas before you start? Genius program...just don't copy his accent.

Cage
Diglot
United States
Joined 6444 days ago

382 posts - 393 votes 

Message 6 of 18
13 March 2008 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
Agreed on Michael Thomas.

Pineapple
United Kingdom
Joined 5920 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Studies: English*

Message 7 of 18
13 March 2008 at 2:14pm | IP Logged 
BGreco wrote:
I'd skip Pimsleur and go right to LSLC. It covers a lot more than Pimsleur a lot quicker.

I have actually downloaded the pimsleur cds notice that they go straight into sentence speaking. i have found a couple where they have a book as well which goes with it,starting of with individual words with the book following. but im not sure whether starting with individual words is any easier than sentences

BGreco
Joined 6213 days ago

211 posts - 222 votes 
3 sounds

Message 8 of 18
13 March 2008 at 2:21pm | IP Logged 
But they only teach you a couple sentences per lesson, whereas LSLC teaches you more. It's almost overwhelming sometimes. But Michel Thomas, you'll be speaking pretty complicated sentences within the first hour.

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version