72 messages over 9 pages: 13 4 5 6 7 ... 2 ... 8 9 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4503 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 9 of 72
13 November 2013 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
Кофе should be neuter though since it ends in -e. Otherwise you should have kept the
кофий spelling.
1 person has voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4461 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 10 of 72
13 November 2013 at 6:37pm | IP Logged 
Medulin wrote:
People in the US don't give a fuss about IT'S ME/IT'S I, WHOM, SHAN'T...

With the particular example of "It is me / It is I", I have heard people say "It is I" only when deliberately trying to seem old-fashioned or pompous.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4624 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 11 of 72
13 November 2013 at 6:51pm | IP Logged 
Is it not the case that what is taught as "standard Italian" was pretty much a "made-
up" language which developed after the advent of broadcasting? (Perhaps with a strong
Tuscan influence). i.e. it's not the language that anyone learns in the home, or
anyway, I believe this used to be the case. It's possible that it's now taken hold more
generally, as communications methods have made everyone so much more "connected" than
in previous generations.

This is not new, of course. I believe that both English and German owe a lot of their
standardisation both to the advent of the printed press and the translation of the
bible. I think one or two dialects were dominant in that process, so it can't be said
that the result was wholly artificial.

In the case of Welsh, according to Gareth King's Modern Welsh Grammar, what became
formal literary written Welsh was quite artificial, as it didn't correspond to anyone's
version of the spoken language, and the spoken language has continued to evolve and is
quite different from literary Welsh (So I gather - I've never read any literary Welsh).

In the case of the Russian gender problems, could that be the start of the gradual loss
of genders altogether in Russian? Once you have words with more than one gender meaning
the same thing, then gender becomes pretty meaningless. English seems to manage without
them.

Edited by montmorency on 14 November 2013 at 7:50pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6393 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 12 of 72
13 November 2013 at 8:33pm | IP Logged 
Nah, it's just that a loan word is becoming completely assimilated, but in this very case there are still too many people who are angry about the acceptance of the change.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4640 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 13 of 72
13 November 2013 at 9:11pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
In the case of the Russian gender problems, could that be the start of the gradual loss of genders altogether in Russian? Once you have words with more than one gender meaning the same thing, then gender becomes pretty meaningless. English seems to manage withouj them.

The Russian gender system is very much alive and kicking. Some ambiguity in single words won't change that.
4 persons have voted this message useful

drygramul
Tetraglot
Italy
Joined 4264 days ago

165 posts - 269 votes 
Speaks: Persian, Italian*, EnglishC2, GermanB2
Studies: French, Polish

Message 14 of 72
13 November 2013 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
Is it not the case that what is taught as "standard Italian" was pretty much a "made-up" language which developed after the advent of broadcasting?

Surely it was.
More than a century ago.
And missing the article is not a regionalism.

To reply to the thread's theme I think the term impoverishment here applies, and there are several reasons for that.
1 - as I pointed out in the other thread, is the corruption introduced by foreign common saying. For the example I provided, follow the other link. I am sure I make the same mistakes when I try to convey some expressions or sentences in another language, but there's a huge difference when a native speaker does that.
2 - the Italian education system (both in the public and private funded schools):
- different standards of education between different schools
- almost universal passing tho higher education during the compulsory phase
3 - Marketing and consumerism. We are accustomed to consume everything, from food to music, movies and anything without any filter. The dumbing down process is a marketing strategy that provides the means to reach every people, and obviously the least common denominator is the ignorant. And language reflects what's happening in any other aspect of our life. We need immediate fulfillment, there's no sophistication in what we hear, eat, or watch, and the same goes for language. Why should we try harder?
3 persons have voted this message useful

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5395 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 15 of 72
13 November 2013 at 11:05pm | IP Logged 
Well, if you look at this, you will see, that кофе was always the dominant form. But it became a political issue after the revolution, when the refugee aristocrats insisted on the alternative forms.
In order to become fully assimilated it will be necessary to decline it. As long as it is indeclinable, it it an obvious loan word.

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4086 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 16 of 72
13 November 2013 at 11:28pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Medulin wrote:
2) Cheguei em casa, Vou lá em casa, Fui em Madri
using the preposition EM with words of movement (like chegar, ir,...) is another relict
in spoken Brazilian Portuguese. It's a feature of old Portuguese and of Latin too (as
in
IN URBEM IRE).
Note that Latin, like modern German or Russian, used cases to
indicate static vs moving. It's very natural that Portuguese didn't retain this usage.

"Cheguei em casa", "Cheguei na casa" (specific), or "Cheguei a casa" sounds fine in
European Portuguese, and Spanish
"Llegué en casa" or "Llegué en la casa" (specific) instead of "Llegué a casa" also
"arrivai in casa" or "sono arrivato in casa" in Italian sounds
fine too though--or is this a regional
difference?

Edited by 1e4e6 on 13 November 2013 at 11:35pm

This discussion contains 72 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version