SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4104 days ago

283 posts - 557 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), French

Message 57 of 72
19 November 2013 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Can I ask those of you who seem to think that everything is equal, nothing is better than
anything else how you deal with mistakes made by children or foreigners? Are they also just as good as everything
else?

In Norwegian we have the sound like in German "ich" only to make things harder, we also use it at the beginning of
words. This is hard for children, and when left uncorrected we can see people in their twenties who still cannot
say it correctly. We also see that many foreigners struggle with both that sound and the word order, and with the
pronunciation of some vowels. Is the idea to just leave this uncorrected and consider it as just as good as the
normal language?

Sounds like the "wh" "w" distinction in English, which I never personally hear except in extremely posh spoken
English. With this accent feature, a speaker pronounces "whale" and "whip" with a little breathless /h/ sound
before the /w/. Everyone else (the vast majority) who have no such distinction are still perfectly understandable,
so the sound is not a part of the phonology of the whole language.

In these cases I would just accept that you are witnessing a natural sound change, deletion, but feel free to
prefer the older speech style. Foreign learners will probably try to match people of their own age group and the
content of language learning books will be a reflection of the people who wrote them and the style of speech they
imagine their readers speaking. Maybe the word-initial "ch" sound will be considered archaic soon, if it's not a
part of the phonology.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6952 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 58 of 72
19 November 2013 at 5:32pm | IP Logged 
Retinend wrote:
Quote:
Your question was probably more aimed at when self-proclaimed prescriptivists will declare a certain usage to be
acceptable, to which the answer is most likely when the old guard passes away, and people who have grown up speaking a
formally stigmatized variant come into power, and decide that their manner of speaking is "correct".

When does this happen? That stigmatized dialects "come into power" and outst the previous dialect? I think that
actually what you find is mass conformity to prestigious phonetic/prosodic/lexical features, in accordance with general
behavioral conformity to prestigious social display.

I agree. MixedUpCody's assumption that those in power consciously and regularly decide that their native dialect is the template for the standard language is also shaky.

- Standard Slovak is based mainly on dialects used in central Slovakia - i.e. distinct from those in the capital, Bratislava, which is in the far southwest. It was by historical accident and specifically the work of one philologist / language geek, Ľudovít Štúr, that this is so.

- Standard BCMS/SC is based on a dialect spoken originally in a broad band stretching from what is now far southern Croatia to southwestern Serbia - crossing southern Bosnia-Herzegovina and northwestern Montenegro. None of the capitals use this dialect natively. It was also chosen because a handful of intellectuals thought that it was the best choice as a basis for the emerging standard regardless of their own native dialects and the opposition of other intellectuals (especially those in the capitals who felt that association to the capitals' political power should have allowed a greater say to them in standardization).

- Standard German is based on dialects from certain parts of central Germany - far away from Berlin which falls under a different dialectal group. If the Hanseatic League had lasted longer, standard German might have instead come to be based on something closer to what's used in Berlin (and incidentally more closely resembled Dutch) than otherwise. The prominence of these central German dialects in forming the standard was raised when copies of Martin Luther's translated Bible proliferated in the German city-states. He had no pretensions of gaining political power. He just put out copies of his Bible in something translated closest to his dialect out of convenience instead of toiling to make some hybrid of a language in the name of inclusiveness or warm fuzzies to show his enlightenment in thinking of people in the other city-states.
7 persons have voted this message useful

Retinend
Triglot
Joined 4104 days ago

283 posts - 557 votes 

Message 59 of 72
19 November 2013 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
MixedUpCody wrote:
Because the way that it determined now is that the people with political and economic
power determine that their dialect is the standard, and every other dialect is wrong, which is no different
than deciding that your race is the "correct" race, and every other race is the "wrong" race.

You could do with being more specific. Because it's far too easy to poke holes in your statements, even though
one can tell what you're talking about. For example there IS "right and wrong" in language, in the case of
technical terms. Many areas of civilized communication are deeply technical, e.g. law and academic subjects.
Does the language of law and of various academic subjects form "a dialect"? It's difficult to say, but if we
say they are, then there's here an example of a dialect which it is "incorrect" to deviate from.

Quote:
No, the idea is that you don't arrogantly assert that your dialect is "normal" and every other dialect
is "abnormal". There is absolutely no scientific reason to determine that certain languages are better than
others. The only reasons are related to ignorance and privilege.

She wasn't arguing that there are scientific reasons why some languages are better than others.

But you are positively wrong that the only reason for the existence of standards are because of ignorance and
privilege. For example the introduction of the first printing presses and the industry of bookmaking in
European countries.

2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4503 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 60 of 72
19 November 2013 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
[QUOTE=Retinend][quote]

- Standard German is based on dialects from certain parts of central Germany - far away
from Berlin which falls under a different dialectal group. If the Hanseatic League had
lasted longer, standard German might have instead come to be based on something closer
to what's used in Berlin (and incidentally more closely resembled Dutch) than
otherwise. The prominence of these central German dialects in forming the standard was
raised when copies of Martin Luther's translated Bible proliferated in the German city-
states. He had no pretensions of gaining political power. He just put out copies of his
Bible in something translated closest to his dialect out of convenience instead of
toiling to make some hybrid of a language in the name of inclusiveness or warm fuzzies
to show his enlightenment in thinking of people in the other city-states.

Similarly, had eastern regions of the Netherlands been the more wealthy so would our
standard dialect have been based on that of Twente or Frisia (in which case we'd
actually have spoken Frisian!!!!) Instead, Hollandic dialects have become the norm due
to the far-reaching influence of the economic hubbub of the 17th century, namely
Amsterdam, which eventually beat out Antwerp (!) as the main economic center of
activity in Dutch-speaking Europe. The biggest influences on standard Dutch are
Hollandic and Brabantic dialects - but its mixture is such that none of the big cities
speaks a dialect which approximates standard Dutch closely enough, although they come
nearer than that of Groningen or Limburg.

When people ask me what standard Dutch is based on, and they ask me about Amsterdam, I
always respond that Amsterdam dialect REALLY is in a class of its own with its
consistent devoicing, vowel changes and slang, and that standard Dutch is something
everyone aspires to but nobody actually achieves. Hollandic dialects are the closest,
but they are not 100% on the mark either (the purest is said to be spoken in Haarlem).

I myself deviate in small ways from the standard, and people consider that I speak very
general Dutch without much dialectal influence.

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5024 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 61 of 72
19 November 2013 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Can I ask those of you who seem to think that everything is equal, nothing is better than anything else how you deal with mistakes made by children or foreigners? Are they also just as good as everything else?

It may be true that a certain utterance is ungrammatical (compared to the pool of people who speak that language), but that's a separate question from whether or not the mistake in that utterance "impoverishes" (to use the Italian poster's term) the language. If a group of people adopt the grammatical mistake, then the resulting language (dialect, what have you) will have as much linguistic merit as any other.

I could start speaking English using OVS order. The language would still be capable of expressing every thought that normal English could express, although viewed against normal English, most of my utterances would be ungrammatical. This well explained other posters.
1 person has voted this message useful

Retinend
Triglot
Joined 4104 days ago

283 posts - 557 votes 

Message 62 of 72
20 November 2013 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
While you make a good point about the dubious value of "impoverish" as a verb, I think
that it's important to stress that the main reason that linguistic chauvinism is
incorrect is that "language," as a scientist would describe it (not the specific words
but the internal and external structure of it), is only one faculty of the human brain
which happens to unfold developmentarily into manifold mutually-unintelligible dialects
spread over the globe.

Languages differ in details but there aren't "more civilized languages" in different
parts of the nation or the globe, in the same way that there are "more civilized
customs." Redundant as it is to say: Natural languages are not engineered by humans,
but spontaneously become assembled, invented and mature in the developing minds of
human communities. That is why its ridiculous to take "world languages" and "standard
English" as inherently superior languages to its comprehensible alternatives. This or
that language/dialect might be superior in their usefulness or heritage to others, but
that's another matter.

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5024 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 63 of 72
20 November 2013 at 12:54am | IP Logged 
Elegantly put. I agree.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6378 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 64 of 72
20 November 2013 at 7:20am | IP Logged 
I'm a die-hard descriptivist. I think that applying the terms "right" (or "correct") and "wrong" to language is a mistake because it tends to give people the wrong associations. When we say "wrong", what we really mean is "inappropriate for a certain context". If I pronounce "potato" as "gloptiwok", that's perfectly fine if I'm talking to my brother who pronounces it the same way. If I speak with someone who doesn't understand this, I'd be well advised to try to adapt my pronunciation. This doesn't mean that my pronunciation is "wrong" in some absolute sense. It's only wrong in a certain context. If you speak RP English and go to a rural village where many terms are very different, it'd be a good idea to adapt your speech. Your speech, though it agrees with the global majority, is inappropriate in this context, and you need to change it if you want to be understood.

There are other (more common) situations where you might be understood, but your speech will have unwanted effects or associations. If you pronounce all "th" sounds as "f", in some contexts you might be thought of as uneducated, and you cetrainly will be in many context if you say "he are" instead of "he is". If you stick to standard English grammar in a group where everyone speaks Ebonics, you might be though of as a stuck-up idiot. Your way of speaking affects the way people recieve your message, and if you want it to be recieved a certain way, you'd be well advised to formulate it in a certain way. But this doesn't mean that "he are" is wrong in some absolute way, devoid of context. It's just as correct as "he is", but it's inappropriate in pretty much all circumstances.

Whether you're a child, a foreigner or an educated native speaker doesn't matter one bit, though of course it influences how you're expected to speak and how your message is recieved. A white guy is not expected to speak Ebonics and a foreigner can get away with more mistakes* without suffering a drop in status.

* Defined as saying something you wouldn't have said had you known all the facts about how the language is used in this context.

This discussion contains 72 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version