Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

TAC09 Russian & Hungarian (#lal) (+Nor.)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
172 messages over 22 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18 ... 21 22 Next >>
ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5930 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 137 of 172
24 July 2009 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
This here is one personalised and highly effective motivational post which goes to show just how much ExtraLean appreciates that which Tricoteuse does in her language learning adventures. Never let it be said that I atleast, do not read every word of her wonderful posts.

Long live Tricoteuse,

Thom.

ps. Even though you don't like him, my practical side has uses.
1 person has voted this message useful

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6614 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 138 of 172
28 July 2009 at 11:43am | IP Logged 
Always appreciated, ExtraLean!

I don't have that very much to update. The weekend was lost at work and at a party and on recovering from said party. I did however get to speak to an English native for quite some time, so I guess that counts as language practice :-)

for Hungarian I have worked with two new easy texts. I really like these texts and I will continue working with them, that is new ones from the same source. I have added some more words as well, total count for Hungarian is now 1737.

We have read some more in Peer Gynt, and I have gotten to perhaps page 170 in my book on the Tolstoys. For my speed-reading practice I am also reading a Swedish book, something that is a real rarity these days. Of course, add to this reading of course literature.

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6614 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 139 of 172
03 August 2009 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
For the last couple of days I have been working quite a lot with speed-reading, finishing my first Swedish book and reading 70% of another one. I will write another blog post about some of the key factors on reading and comprehension that I learned so far later tonight or tomorrow.

As for Hungarian, I have read a couple of more texts (soon I have read all the texts on that site!) plus a couple of pages of Jane Eyre. The downside with reading the easy texts is that Jane Eyre now seems much harder :-) I am hoping to squeeze in some grammar study today or tomorrow, that is simply reading in my Hungarian grammar book. I may try to apply some of the notetaking techniques from the speed-reading books.

Yesterday I actually recorded a Russian podcast for my blog. Scary stuff, but I think it turned out decent. Russian wise I have also watched another documentary on Russian history. I find it quite hard to focus on these documentaries, but I consider it to be good exposure anyway.

I have realized that I haven't done anything in French in quite a while, and I can't really make up my mind as to what I should do... perhaps I should listen to a French audio book next?

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 6087 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 140 of 172
04 August 2009 at 12:24pm | IP Logged 
tricoteuse wrote:

I have realized that I haven't done anything in French in quite a while, and I can't really make up my mind as to what I should do... perhaps I should listen to a French audio book next?

I've started L-Ring "Le Comte De Monte Cristo". You can get the texts at manybooks.net, and a nice quality recording at librivox.org. I think the speaker for this one is native French, but I'm not sure about some of their other recordings.

Edited by DaraghM on 04 August 2009 at 12:24pm

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6614 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 141 of 172
06 August 2009 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
DaraghM wrote:
tricoteuse wrote:

I've started L-Ring "Le Comte De Monte Cristo". You can get the texts at manybooks.net, and a nice quality recording at librivox.org. I think the speaker for this one is native French, but I'm not sure about some of their other recordings.

I only listen to audio books when I'm on my way somewhere or when I'm doing something else, so I don't actually do any LR. For French there would be little point in doing so as well since my comprehension is close to a hundred percent anyway. I have a batch of Sherlock Holmes lying around though, and I'm thinking about giving that a go...

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 6087 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 142 of 172
08 September 2009 at 3:11pm | IP Logged 
I've missed your log. What are your current language activities ?

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6614 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 143 of 172
14 September 2009 at 8:49am | IP Logged 
Well now, not much action going on here... I have been very busy and I took a trip abroad, and in there somewhere I lost my motivation. I think it's back now though :-) the only things that I can note down as language learning is a fair amount of speaking when I was in France and two lang-8 posts in Russian. I am also attending beginner Russian classes at the University. Yesterday I finally caught up with my Anki repetitions since coming back from France and Spain so now I hope to get back to doing some serious stuff. Most of my study will still be by reading in Russian though since that is something that benefits both my Russian and my university classes.

By the way, I encourage everyone to go check out the amazing comment I got on my blog form some Russian speaking person. It is both sad and funny at the same time. NB, it's in Russian. Click.

Edited by tricoteuse on 14 September 2009 at 8:52am

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5930 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 144 of 172
14 September 2009 at 9:09am | IP Logged 
Sup Tri?

Good to see you updating again. Don't get down about motivation, it comes and goes. Use your free time (beginners russian classes) to do something little, but productive possibly rhyming with Agyar...

As for the comment, I think that you'd be hard pressed to find a person of sound mind that would say that Russian is a waste, especially for a Swedewegien. So just mock the detractors like you have been and move on.

All the best,
Thom.

Edited by ExtraLean on 14 September 2009 at 9:11am

This discussion contains 172 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version