Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

6 Week Challenge in May?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
220 messages over 28 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 ... 27 28 Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6393 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 105 of 220
01 May 2011 at 10:54am | IP Logged 
I shall manually change the part-time / full-time indications next time I log into the
server. For now I need to catch up on Spanish.

Quote:
Quick question that I didn't see the answer for on the website: How do we tell
the
twitter-bot to set our target hours of study time?

I probably chose that title badly. It's not a target amount of hours, it's how many
hours you spent on your target language. So you set it by studying your target language
and then posting an update to Twitter ;-)

Datrukup, your registration worked fine. You're listed at
http://6wc.learnlangs.com/ No excuse to slack
off!! Ditto for mashmusic.

One more thing someone asked me about: the activity tags such as #Anki, #reading etc.
can be anything you want, even #eiughw. It's just for your personal stats, when you
click on your name in the ranking.

EDIT: just noticed that the bot wasn't picking up tags anymore because of a change I
made later in the code; fixed that.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 01 May 2011 at 11:56am

1 person has voted this message useful

puffin1981
Diglot
Hungary
cookingstar.blogspot
Joined 5234 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishC2
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Thai

Message 106 of 220
01 May 2011 at 3:52pm | IP Logged 
Hey everyone, I just found this thread today... Funnily enough, I am about to start
leaning Spanish, I have already got the TY book and audio. Would love to take part. Is it
too late to register today?

hjordis
United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 5109 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 107 of 220
01 May 2011 at 5:04pm | IP Logged 
*whines* My dad took all the stuff I need to the new house! I set it aside and everything.

Maybe I'll go try my online sites... I wanted to work through the book first though.

Edited by hjordis on 01 May 2011 at 5:04pm

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6393 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 108 of 220
01 May 2011 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
puffin, you're welcome to sign up. I will leave registration open throughout the
challenge, in case somebody has a lot of time at the end of May or something and wants
to make a surreal effort.

hjordis, I challenge you to complete
t
his course
first. You could also work on your pronunciation using the detailed
guide at http://www.fonetiks.org/indexother.html .

Apparently tags may not be anything... #aiguh for example is fine, but if you choose a
two-letter or three-letter tag that happens to already be a language code (like #en or
#deu), then the bot will complain. This is because the bot is not smart enough to
determine which language the update is for then. And remember to always mention the
language in your updates... it's necessary because you are allowed to study languages
other than your target language.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6393 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 109 of 220
01 May 2011 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
Reading all of your messages on Twitter is great. Gives me so many ideas for how to
include language-learning in my day, or what approach to try next. E. g.

clanglog: @6WCBot And 20 minutes more of #Norwegian parroting country names and
introduction dialogues. I have to get in as much time as I can today!
Boisjolie1: @6WCBot I did 35 minutes of #Spanish reading a story from #Historias
de latinoamérica. ¡Muy interesante!
irekalex: @6WCBot 12 minutes of #English using @phrasemix #translation
Junesun (me): @6wcbot 30 minutes of #Dutch #reading on the balcony.
MultiMae: @6wcbot 40 minutes of #Portuguese #listening #pronunciation while
having a bath and relaxing :-)))
bri_tyan: @6WCBot felt bad seeing my rank fall, so I spent 45min making #spanish
#anki cards from Assimil and Easy Spanish Reader.

Morg
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4894 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 110 of 220
01 May 2011 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
ok cool, i started :)
i'm windfisch, can't believe it wasn't taken.
i'll use my books from two courses, rápido neu and maybe gente, which is not so good as rápido. then i've started an Anki Deck Spanish - German some time ago. there's also my fresh account at livemocha for exercising. finally i've got some links to Spanish podcasts and news articles, but i'm not sure if i'll use them.
oh, and from x-mas there is still Harry Potter #1 sitting on my desk :)

clang
Groupie
United States
Joined 5262 days ago

54 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Italian

Message 111 of 220
01 May 2011 at 11:36pm | IP Logged 
It's 00:30 local time and I have to go to bed. I'm hoping for a big day tomorrow and then I will be away at a conference until Friday or Saturday. Maybe I will find some time to study!

I cannot believe this challenge so far. If I keep this up, I will know some serious Norwegian at the end of 6 weeks. It is so refreshing not to have to struggle to remember every single word (uh..Russian). However, Norwegian makes me
grateful for how much I do know in Russian already.

Anyway, I'm not excited to wake up to the scores of everyone in the west..

Edited by clang on 01 May 2011 at 11:37pm

RedBeard
United States
atariage.com
Joined 6025 days ago

126 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: Ancient Greek*
Studies: French, German

Message 112 of 220
01 May 2011 at 11:44pm | IP Logged 
Hi, all. Lucky me, finding this new Six Week Challenge. About 2 weeks ago I found Assimil New French With Ease (c 1998, 113 lesons, 591 pages, 4 CDs) course in a used book shop last week. It looks almost brand new. What a great way to revive my long lost study of French! (Yes, German still calls :-) ... but for 6 weeks, I can survive.)

--Main study Materials: Assimil (at two passive-lessons per day for the first couple weeks), French In Action videos (free online videos, no workbook/textbook)
--Additional At-Will Materials: Movies with target language and/or target subtitles, Berlitz Self Teacher, Michel Thomas

QUESTION: Where can I take an online quiz to gauge my level? I know that I'm not a beginner, but I don't think I'm A2, either. If I could get a Before And After snapshot from some online resource, that would be great!

OK. I'm off to set up the Twitter and then study!

This discussion contains 220 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version