Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5444 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 33 of 104
04 November 2009 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
Juan M. wrote:

Whatever I learn by going through Pimsleur would be gains in addition to what I already know, since by doing Assimil the way you suggest I would at most be reviewing the exact same dialogues I have already studied and learned.

You can use whatever method you like, even listen to Michel Thomas if that suits you, but this is certainly not what I suggested. You read through the lesson translations in the evening, which takes a few minutes, just to get a grip on the stories. The actual learning takes place on the road, as you listen to and read out the dialogs again and again and absorb the vocabulary and patterns.

Urban_Sasquatch wrote:
For me the advantage lies in the lessons being perfect for a commute, when my hands and eyes are otherwise occupied and I cannot afford to be glancing at a book.

You are not supposed to be looking at the text when you listen, that would defeat the purpose and make it less efficient.

1 person has voted this message useful

Amoore
Denmark
Joined 5693 days ago

177 posts - 218 votes 
Speaks: Danish*

Message 34 of 104
04 November 2009 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
Wow. I just want to say thank you!.

I really benefited from this thread, and the fact that people are taking time to write
informative and serious posts is just a evidence that this forum one is of
the best on the web.

Thanks.

Edited by Amoore on 04 November 2009 at 10:02pm

Urban_Sasquatch
United States
Joined 5424 days ago

11 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian

Message 35 of 104
04 November 2009 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
Would it be okay with you if I just went ahead and stuck with what I've already got AND answered queries regarding what I find useful about it (per the thread) if I solemnly PROMISE to check out Assimil sometime and possibly even use it?

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5458 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 36 of 104
04 November 2009 at 11:05pm | IP Logged 
For what it's worth, Assimil sounds like a great program, but they don't offer my primary target language (Korean) unless I already know French (which I don't and it isn't one of the languages that I plan to learn), so that doesn't really make it very useful to me. Pimsleur, however, does have a Korean course for English speakers in both Comp 1 and Comp 2 levels. (Both offer Spanish, of course, but I'm concentrating far more heavily on Korean at the moment.)

Regarding those that noted using Pimsleur during their commutes, that is exactly how I use it as well. My commute takes about 35-40 minutes and Pimsleur courses run around 28-31 minutes each. My current method is: first pass of Korean in the morning, second pass that afternoon, third pass the next morning, then Spanish that afternoon. So every two days, I've advanced one lesson in each language. (I try to keep up the 2-passes-per-day method on the weekend days as well, but it often falls back to 1-pass-per-day for those days instead.)

Eumaeus
Groupie
Australia
Joined 5527 days ago

75 posts - 134 votes 
Studies: Italian

Message 37 of 104
05 November 2009 at 7:19am | IP Logged 
Amoore wrote:
Wow. I just want to say thank you!.

I really benefited from this thread, and the fact that people are taking time to write
informative and serious posts is just a evidence that this forum one is of
the best on the web.

Thanks.

Well said Amoore.

Let's keep it nice and not start a war between the Pimsleur and Assimil camps.
Having said that, and with the utmost respect to you JuanM, I think you are missing Gusutafu's point.
Continuosly listening to the Assimil lessons, not neccessarily even shadowing, just listening and understanding, is an integral part of the Assimil process.
It is not going over old ground and wasting time on things that have been learned, it is an essential part of the learning process.

Edited by Eumaeus on 05 November 2009 at 7:22am

starst
Triglot
China
Joined 5437 days ago

113 posts - 133 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, Japanese, EnglishC2
Studies: FrenchC1, German, Norwegian

Message 38 of 104
05 November 2009 at 8:54am | IP Logged 
I finished Pimsleur French I-III right before going to France for a 3-month internship (which had nothing to do with the language, for all my colleagues spoke very good English). It helped me to make some basic conversations such as asking for directions, but it didn't help much on more complicated topics. So I think it would be a useful tool if you have never really spoken the language and have some difficulties on saying even simple sentences.

Moreover, personally I think it works better when you already have sufficient knowledge on grammar and vocabulary. I had a try with Pimsleur German without a clear idea of the grammar, and had to drop it somewhere near the end of II because its pace was getting too fast for me. But this may depend on the language. I'm not very sure.

In a word, it's worthy trying when your speaking skill gets stuck between beginner and intermediate.

Edited by starst on 05 November 2009 at 8:55am

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5973 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Tagalog
Studies: Ancient Greek, Japanese

Message 39 of 104
06 November 2009 at 5:19am | IP Logged 
Of course I have completed Pimsleur; Pimsleur Spanish, Chinese, and Tagalog, all available courses. Is it worth it? Well, yes, assuming you don't have to pay 500 something dollars.

Here is what the anti-Pimsleur people need to understand;

1)Pimsleur is not for everybody. It is not for visual learners, or people with poor audio ability.

2) Pimsleur is boring. Yes, it is. Who cares? Get over it. Life isn't meant to be titillating. It is only 30 minutes a day, whereas if you are serious you should be studying at least 3 hours a day anyway.

3) Pimsleur III is usually not worth your time. Pimsleur I and II are good, but returns start dimishing and you start learning silly filler words and review too much.

4) No one ever said Pimsleur will get you to fluency. Only you get you to fluency (hint; it isn't going to be "fun"). Pimsleur is meant to be an introduction to the core of the lanaguage.

5) "Pimsleur only teaches you 500 words!" Yes, it does, but this is the CORE of the language. These 500 words are infinitely more important than a long list of colors, animals, and other kindergarten words you are never going to use.

6) "Pimsleur doesn't teach grammar" Yes, it does implicitly It has you infer grammer based on the drills it gives you. It makes you guess and infer the grammar rule you derived before giving the correct answer. This is much more valuable in my opinion than just explicitly telling you the rule, because it builds automacy which, unlike knowing a rule, is important for fluency.

Still, there will be people who need to know rules, have things explained, or are visual learners, etc. By all means, try out Pimsleur beforehand, but it is clear that Pimsleur is very useful to many language learners here.
16 persons have voted this message useful

Urban_Sasquatch
United States
Joined 5424 days ago

11 posts - 30 votes
Studies: Russian

Message 40 of 104
06 November 2009 at 2:02pm | IP Logged 
irrationale wrote:
Here is what the anti-Pimsleur people need to understand;

1)Pimsleur is not for everybody. It is not for visual learners, or people with poor audio ability.

2) Pimsleur is boring. Yes, it is. Who cares? Get over it. Life isn't meant to be titillating. It is only 30 minutes a day, whereas if you are serious you should be studying at least 3 hours a day anyway.

5) "Pimsleur only teaches you 500 words!" Yes, it does, but this is the CORE of the language. These 500 words are infinitely more important than a long list of colors, animals, and other kindergarten words you are never going to use.

6) "Pimsleur doesn't teach grammar" Yes, it does implicitly It has you infer grammer based on the drills it gives you. It makes you guess and infer the grammar rule you derived before giving the correct answer. This is much more valuable in my opinion than just explicitly telling you the rule, because it builds automacy which, unlike knowing a rule, is important for fluency.

Still, there will be people who need to know rules, have things explained, or are visual learners, etc. By all means, try out Pimsleur beforehand, but it is clear that Pimsleur is very useful to many language learners here.

Huzzah! Most especially with regard to number 6!

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 104 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version