Pentaglot
Italy
Joined 6799 days ago

531 posts - 722 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, Italian*, English, French, Portuguese

Message 17 of 28
29 September 2009 at 10:55pm | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:
Oh, I thought you had lost your language skills completly. This happened to me, because I lost my language skills in Russian, Portuguese, Ancient Greek and Danish. Therefore I don't list these languages in my profile.

Fasulye

How can you lost your language skills?
Maybe you spoke Portuguese long time ago , and now you meet a brazilian and after a while you refresh your brain ....This happened to me with french....You never lost a language, like you never lost driving skills or whatever else ....human maind is far better than every computer ....there are a lot of ram .....
1 person has voted this message useful

Lizzern
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5748 days ago

791 posts - 1053 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 18 of 28
29 September 2009 at 11:11pm | IP Logged 
Xenoguy, I think you should just call yourself a polyglot and be done with it, I really don't see the problem with that. People have different definitions of what a polyglot is, and if you fit your own (as long as it's reasonable and not outrageously exaggerated, like saying "I speak Norwegian and English and can understand Swedish and Danish therefore I'm a polyglot" would be) then go for it. Most people won't question the term anyway, and it sounds like you have quite impressive skills. (For the record, I wouldn't call myself a polyglot.)

I know from this and other forums that things that were never intended to sound harsh can sometimes come across that way, because so much nuance in communication is lost online and a lot of the time we write something trying to be helpful or just friendly and it can sound completely different. I don't think anyone here wants to stomp on anyone else's language skills, and if they do then you're not the one with a problem.

Liz

Edited by Lizzern on 29 September 2009 at 11:12pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5686 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 19 of 28
30 September 2009 at 8:35am | IP Logged 
vilas wrote:
Fasulye wrote:
Oh, I thought you had lost your language skills completly. This happened to me, because I lost my language skills in Russian, Portuguese, Ancient Greek and Danish. Therefore I don't list these languages in my profile.

Fasulye

How can you lost your language skills?
Maybe you spoke Portuguese long time ago , and now you meet a brazilian and after a while you refresh your brain ....This happened to me with french....You never lost a language, like you never lost driving skills or whatever else ....human maind is far better than every computer ....there are a lot of ram .....

I didn't learn enough of those languages mentioned above and I had to stop the learning process. Of course then they get lost. But I will relearn Danish. Ancient Greek is not important for me. And Russian is too difficult/workintensive. Portugese is not so necessary, as I speak other Romance languages. So I can accept this loss of languages. But generally my policy is not to lose languages once learned.

Fasulye

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5686 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 20 of 28
30 September 2009 at 8:43am | IP Logged 
Lizzern wrote:
Xenoguy, I think you should just call yourself a polyglot and be done with it, I really don't see the problem with that. People have different definitions of what a polyglot is. Liz

I agree, people have different definitions of what a polyglot is. When I was very young I never called myself a polyglot.

Fasulye

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5424 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 21 of 28
13 October 2009 at 1:48am | IP Logged 
Lingua wrote:
I would make a basic distinction between those, such as myself, who learn a small number of languages to a very advanced or near-native level, and those who have a far lower level in far more languages.

so 10 languages is a "small" number eh? :P

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6854 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 22 of 28
15 October 2009 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
datsunking1 wrote:
Lingua wrote:
I would make a basic distinction between those, such as myself, who learn a small number of languages to a very advanced or near-native level, and those who have a far lower level in far more languages.

so 10 languages is a "small" number eh? :P

Compared to 6000+ worldwide, yes.

janababe
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5353 days ago

102 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German

Message 23 of 28
21 October 2009 at 2:01pm | IP Logged 
Does anyone know if it's possible to read lots of languages, including different alphabets, without learning the language like in school (no grammar ...). Like a reading, pronouncing polyglot?

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5374 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 24 of 28
21 October 2009 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:
Many polyglots learn languages that way. They take advantage of languages being closely related. I don't, because I have learned every language as a separate entity and I still do it this way. This causes more work, but it helps me to keep languages strictly separate and it reduces language interferences.

A big part of the reason I opted for an East Asian language for my third language was so I wouldn't confuse it with Spanish as easily. I think it does help somewhat, yet I still mix the two sometimes (which strikes me as odd since Spanish and Korean have vastly different sentence structures). I can't imagine how mixed up I'd be had I taken something like Portuguese or Italian instead...hehe

One of the mix-ups I make most often, though, I think I can understand why. When I'm doing a Pimsleur Spanish lesson and a sentence starting with "No" needs to be translated, I often immediately think of the Korean word for no (아니요/aniyo) instead. I suspect my brain doesn't equate the Spanish "no" as a foreign word, so it opts for the word that is "foreign" instead. Of course, that doesn't explain the occasions when I try to start a Korean "Where is..." sentence with "¿Dónde esta..." (especially since the Korean sentence should *end* with "where is" not start with it) but I suspect that is more a side-effect of switching back and forth between the two Pimsleur courses, so my brain takes a while to "switch modes" back into the other language.

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version