Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

What’s the level Assimil can take you to?

Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
40 messages over 5 pages: 1 24 5  Next >>
Frieza
Triglot
Portugal
Joined 5316 days ago

102 posts - 137 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: German

Message 17 of 40
30 May 2011 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 
I'd say B1, I recently took a German test at that level and scored 82%. B2 I honestly don't think so.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to follow Assimil properly, as I had to take IELTS and so decided to put Assimil on standby for about one month after I had just started the 2nd wave. Sadly after having resumed Assimil, I feel like something was lost.

But I still feel B1 is a safer bet than B2.
1 person has voted this message useful

guitarob
Hexaglot
Groupie
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5050 days ago

95 posts - 138 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, Danish, Portuguese, Italian

Message 18 of 40
02 August 2011 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
As promised I am here 80 days later (Or 80 productive days later to be more precise) to give you my final verdict on Assimil(if you do not understand the 80 days reference please read my previous post on this thread).

I can say that these past 80 days have had an effect on my danish. I have collected data from my log and will try to present it as good as possible here.

My post-assimil studies have been based in 3 main categories. I used a column/podcast named Kanten, audiobooks in danish from H C Andersen and news articles without audio. I use them similarly to the way I used Assimil and took note of the words I didn't know in each article or chapter. The results were as following:

Kanten Column/Podcast
Unknown words on the first 4 weeks after finishing Assimil: 8.12%
Unknown words on the last 4 weeks: 4.98%

That means that right know I understand approximately 95% of the words in a column like text.

News Articles
Unknown words on the first 4 weeks after finishing Assimil: 6.88%
Unknown words on the last 4 weeks: 3.15%

Audiobooks
Unknown words on the first 4 weeks after finishing Assimil: 7.27%
Unknown words on the last 4 weeks: 6.61%

Those stats should cover the reading part.

Regarding the writing, I have been writing a weekly post in my log and in Lang-8 to exercise it. My last corrected post received 10 corrections out of 320 words. You can check all of them in Lang-8 if you want to dig deeper.

For my oral production I started doing an exchange 3 weeks ago, and I can gladly say that I spoke for about an hour and a half last Sunday in Danish(We discussed about politics among other topics). It is difficult to auto-evaluate my level, but I feel comfortable speaking in danish even tough I still make a lot of mistakes.

Finally, my listening skills are the ones that I am most disappointed on. I still have trouble understanding a danish radio called P1. It actually depends a lot on what they are talking about, but I have certainly not reach a level yet where I can understand most(or all) of it, which I consider a requirement to claim a B2 level. During my language exchanges there were also times I couldn't understand and my partner had to rephrase(probably between 3-5 times during our last meeting, which is a lot considering I did most of the talking:$:$)

So there it is, I would say that after these 80 additional days my level is pretty close to B2 and the only thing stopping me is the listening comprehension. Of course, the idea is that you draw your own conclusions from the data and information I provided.

Sorry for the mistakes I may have done, but I was to lazy to check back the whole text :$:$
14 persons have voted this message useful

sammychanforeve
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6031 days ago

43 posts - 51 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: French

Message 19 of 40
06 August 2011 at 1:32am | IP Logged 
Quitarob,

Thanks for this post. Very useful to see this kind of quantitative description of progress made over a stated time period. Not many of us follow up like this.
3 persons have voted this message useful

talkl
Diglot
Groupie
Israel
Joined 5199 days ago

51 posts - 61 votes 
Speaks: Modern Hebrew*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 20 of 40
08 August 2011 at 12:07pm | IP Logged 
guitarob wrote:
As promised I am here 80 days later (Or 80 productive days later to be more precise) to give you my final verdict on Assimil(if you do not understand the 80 days reference please read my previous post on this thread).

I can say that these past 80 days have had an effect on my danish. I have collected data from my log and will try to present it as good as possible here.

My post-assimil studies have been based in 3 main categories. I used a column/podcast named Kanten, audiobooks in danish from H C Andersen and news articles without audio. I use them similarly to the way I used Assimil and took note of the words I didn't know in each article or chapter. The results were as following:

Kanten Column/Podcast
Unknown words on the first 4 weeks after finishing Assimil: 8.12%
Unknown words on the last 4 weeks: 4.98%

That means that right know I understand approximately 95% of the words in a column like text.

News Articles
Unknown words on the first 4 weeks after finishing Assimil: 6.88%
Unknown words on the last 4 weeks: 3.15%

Audiobooks
Unknown words on the first 4 weeks after finishing Assimil: 7.27%
Unknown words on the last 4 weeks: 6.61%

Those stats should cover the reading part.

Regarding the writing, I have been writing a weekly post in my log and in Lang-8 to exercise it. My last corrected post received 10 corrections out of 320 words. You can check all of them in Lang-8 if you want to dig deeper.

For my oral production I started doing an exchange 3 weeks ago, and I can gladly say that I spoke for about an hour and a half last Sunday in Danish(We discussed about politics among other topics). It is difficult to auto-evaluate my level, but I feel comfortable speaking in danish even tough I still make a lot of mistakes.

Finally, my listening skills are the ones that I am most disappointed on. I still have trouble understanding a danish radio called P1. It actually depends a lot on what they are talking about, but I have certainly not reach a level yet where I can understand most(or all) of it, which I consider a requirement to claim a B2 level. During my language exchanges there were also times I couldn't understand and my partner had to rephrase(probably between 3-5 times during our last meeting, which is a lot considering I did most of the talking:$:$)

So there it is, I would say that after these 80 additional days my level is pretty close to B2 and the only thing stopping me is the listening comprehension. Of course, the idea is that you draw your own conclusions from the data and information I provided.

Sorry for the mistakes I may have done, but I was to lazy to check back the whole text :$:$

Did you use any native materials before finishing Assimil?

Edited by talkl on 08 August 2011 at 12:11pm

guitarob
Hexaglot
Groupie
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5050 days ago

95 posts - 138 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, Danish, Portuguese, Italian

Message 21 of 40
09 August 2011 at 2:17pm | IP Logged 
talkl wrote:

Did you use any native materials before finishing Assimil?

I listened to danish radio everyday, but I didn't actually understand it, so I don't think it helped much. I also started reading a news article per day towards the end of the active wave but without taking note of the words I didn't know, just informal reading and searching the words I didn't know in google translate.

It is important to add, I started adding words I didn't know into Anki towards the end of the active wave, but only if they were in the top 5000 in frequency and I kept on doing this with my post-assimil studies

Radu-1987
Diglot
Groupie
RomaniaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4952 days ago

42 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: Japanese*, English
Studies: Russian

Message 22 of 40
09 August 2011 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
Greetings,Does anyone know if CEFR test in Russian is available online?

jean-luc
France
Joined 4923 days ago

100 posts - 150 votes 
Speaks: French*

Message 23 of 40
09 August 2011 at 4:58pm | IP Logged 
On their last edition of their German sans peine, they advertise a B2 level. Not sure if it's is true.

MrScotchpie
United Kingdom
Joined 4968 days ago

5 posts - 11 votes
Studies: Japanese

Message 24 of 40
02 February 2012 at 7:30pm | IP Logged 
I'm thinking of using Assimil for my Dutch studies which I have recently begun.

As for the CEFR standards I use a simple method for calculating the level a particular course will take you to.

To get a starting point, Richard Simcott has recently taken A1 in Turkish. On his blog he says that over the three months he studied for the exam he was exposed to approximately 2,000 words, but couldn't remember them all. As he is an accomplished and experienced language learner, let us assume he remembered 1,000. So as a starting point, 1,000 words equals a comfortable A1.

Moving up to B1, this is equivalent to a UK NQF level 2 exam, also called a GCSE in the school system. A GCSE/NQF 2 requires, or use to require, approcimately 2,000 - 3,000 words for a pass. So, to err on the side of safety, we will say 3,000 words equals B1.

Now let's go to B2. This exam is equivalent to a UK NQF level 3 exam, also called an "A-level", in the school system. A levels, or NQF 3, are taken at school or college as university entrance exams. A foreign language A level requires, or used to, approximately 3,000 to 4,000 words. So, to err on the side of safety, we will say 4,000 words equals B2.

We now have a convenient linear relationship between the levels and required words enabling us to fill in the missing A2.

A1 = 1,000
A2 = 2,000
B1 = 3,000
B2 = 4,000

A course such as Assimil or Teach Yourself with around 1,500 words puts a learner squarely between A1 and A2 on the CEFR scale.

Edited by MrScotchpie on 02 February 2012 at 7:39pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 40 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version