VivianJ5
Diglot
United States
Joined 4088 days ago

81 posts - 133 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 161 of 251
06 January 2014 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
I'm really interested in your method of language learning with Harry Potter, especially since it's not too difficult to
find both written translations in the languages I'm interested in, and unabridged audio as well. I've purchased the
Dutch audio for HP, as well as the Italian (for a future language challenge!), and am looking forward to having just
enough Dutch to give it a go.

I find typical language books, with the stilted dialogue and introductory vocabulary, so boring that it makes it hard
to stick with it. When I taught English, back in the day, I tried to get the students reading real novels as quickly as
possible, since they could at least choose books they had already read in their own language (English books that had
been translated), or find something more interesting than the course book. Plus they could read books which were
as easy or as challenging as they wanted, as long as they were reading. Since they were already in an Anglophone
environment (this was in the U.S.), they got tons of reinforcement from watching TV and speaking to Americans. I'd
love to replicate that for myself in Dutch...
1 person has voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4514 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 162 of 251
06 January 2014 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
VivianJ5 wrote:
I'm really interested in your method of language learning with Harry Potter,
especially since it's not too difficult to
find both written translations in the languages I'm interested in, and unabridged audio as well. I've
purchased the
Dutch audio for HP, as well as the Italian (for a future language challenge!), and am looking forward
to having just
enough Dutch to give it a go.

In a current thread on learning to read russian literature, my Dutch TAC teammate Jeff linked to
this old thread, and I
thought post 7 was especially interesting:

ProfArguelles wrote:
Since you find this helpful, I will give some more details of the way that I
have gone about learning to read literature in Russian and other foreign languages.

The first step is to use actual bilingual texts, with the target language on one page and a translation
on the facing page. I keep one index finger under one sentence, the other under its counterpart, and I
slowly and carefully compare everything. I am not really "reading" at this point, but rather analyzing
the language using interesting reading matter.

The second step is to use "readers," i.e., books that contain annotated excerpts of literature with
explanatory notes and, most importantly, vocabulary and an index that is specially keyed to these texts
so that finding the meaning of unknown words is much easier than it is by using a regular dictionary.
I usually make enlarged photocopies of the text first and then write the meaning of all new words
directly in the space underneath them. I then read and reread these texts many times.

The third step is begin reading "easy" literature unaided, i.e., material for native children or
adolescents.

The fourth step is what I described in an earlier post, namely using not bilingual texts but an
original text and a translation in tandem, reading first a portion of the translation, then the
original itself. What portion? If all I can handle is a paragraph or a page at a time, then it is
better to keep working with actual bilingual texts. At this stage, as I wrote before, it is initially
best to read a full chapter at a time. At first I may have to read them back to back, but I find that
it is better not to do so, but rather to read the original later in the day.   Eventually, I read the
entire translated work first, then the original. I never use a dictionary at this stage, but just keep
on reading. With Russian, I went through most of Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky, Turgenev, and Checkov this way,
as well as some Oblomov and Gogol. I then passed the "airplane test," as I call it, taking a novel
that I had not read in translation before with me as my sole companion on an intercontinental flight,
and reading it with interest, enjoyment, and understanding the whole time.

I cannot stress strongly enough how important it is to avoid using a dictionary until you have gotten
past these stages. Doing so harms you more than it helps you, for it slows you down too much and
breaks your concentration. I have always found that using a dictionary is only profitable after I have
gotten past this fourth step. Again, I generally try to look up only "known unknowns," i.e., words
that I have seen often enough to recognize them ("there's that damn word again--what the hell does it
mean?") or even better actually remember them and say to myself, not necessarily while reading, but
simply while ruminating, "I know that I don't know what X means--it seems like it means such and such,
but I wonder..." When I finally look it up, I never forget it, whereas if I use a dictionary too
early, I find myself looking up the same word repeatedly.

So basically, what I'm doing here is: first, an abbreviated round of his step one, in which I take
wikipedia articles (which are written at a simpler level) about the story and dump them into google
translate, giving myself the prescribed side-by-side translation. I think I pretty much skip his step
2, and then go straight to a combination step 3 and 4 on HP. For Dutch, I followed this with extensive
reading first of a book that I hadn't read, but that my wife had read (in English), and I would talk to
her about it after each of the first few chapters to verify that I was following the story. By the end
of the book I was confident enough to move on to The Hunger Games (which I hadn't seen in movie form
nor read previously) and did pretty well. Most mainstream fiction and non-fiction are now basically
accessible for me. I haven't moved on to more exalted literature in Dutch yet, and I know my vocabulary
is indeed still a bit weak for that, but this is a roadmap for one way I could try to get there.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6423 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 163 of 251
07 January 2014 at 6:04am | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
EDIT: I can't get the link right for "smetana." The link should be .../wiki/Smetana_(dairy_product), but the
parentheses keep getting dropped. Would a slash-escape sequence work here?
Firefox fixes the link when you copy it :)

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4514 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 164 of 251
08 January 2014 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
Cross-posted from the Катюша team thread, incorporating teammate milesaway's suggestions:

привет! меня зовут джеффри. еще не очень хорошо говорю по-русски. чуть-чуть лучше читаю.
мне очень нравится изучать языки. В этом году, Я надеюсь улучшить свой уровень русского
языка.

Dutch intro still to come.

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4514 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 165 of 251
09 January 2014 at 6:56pm | IP Logged 
The Harry Potter onslaught continues unabated. In Гарри Поттер и Орден Феникса I've now read as far as page 122. (Harry is just
about to head to the Ministry of Magic for his disciplinary hearing.) However, I've been cheating. The protocol I described above
involves first reading the relevant section in French, and then reading the same section in Russian. But I've been doing it
backwards, reading it first in Russian, and then in French. The reasoning is simple: I'm enjoying reading it in the Russian and I
don't want to wait. But then I keep saying to myself "ok, ok, I'll catch up in the French too, after all, I'm still working to
improve French for its own sake." From a pedagogical standpoint, I miss far less (in Russian, at least) when I do things the other
way around. But I'm following well enough, despite the huge vocabulary gaps, that it's not just a slog, but giving me reps on
known and semi-known words, while teaching me the occasional unknown word. I'm also slowly getting a better intuitive sense of the
declensions, but that's going to take a long time, I can tell.

I've slowed down a bit on the intensive portion of this project because I'm trying to concentrate on the January tadoku. This at
least has helped me to start doing better on my anki reviews, because I have slightly less than the 20 new words a day. My hit
rates have gone way up. Probably a sign to add more words. Slow and steady (but not too slow, if possible). If I keep up the
current pace, I can plan to hit 1000 entries in two or three months, which would be a mighty fine result (that's a 3k-4k / year
pace, and doesn't count words learned outside of anki).

New challenge of willpower: I've gotten my hands on both a physical copy of Гарри Поттер и Кубок огня as well as an mp3 audiobook
of the same. The temptation is to switch over and do intensive reading along with the mp3 audio. Positives should be obvious:
better mapping of sounds and stresses to the written forms, faster reading speed and additional decoding clues from the reader's
tone, pacing and mannerisms. Negatives include having less time to puzzle out guessable unknown words and especially losing the
rhythm I've built up with my current book. If I only had another 100 pages I'd just say wait, but I have another 700 pages, so it
could take a while. Something else to ponder.

Under the heading of book acquisition, I recently navigated to this
bookstore, and was pleased to discover that they had a number of books available at fire sale prices. In particular, a number of
translations of Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series were available for at most $0.99 each. Shipping to the US was $5 for the
order, plus $1 per item. There's a lot of chaff in there, but it's worth searching through their stocks to see if anything you're
interested in is on their 94.038% discount list like it was for me.

Edited by geoffw on 09 January 2014 at 7:42pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4514 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 166 of 251
12 January 2014 at 4:00pm | IP Logged 
I just received my box of books from Russia-Online:

This giant pile of books cost under $23, delivered, of which more than half the cost was for S&H. The Harry Potter
book was the only one that cost more than a dollar. The Terry Goodkind books were actually 2-part novels, so each
separately bound volume was about $0.50.

I am not about to have an excuse that I have nothing to read in Russian.

Edited by geoffw on 12 January 2014 at 4:02pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4514 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 167 of 251
13 January 2014 at 3:27am | IP Logged 
It so happened that I saw a few minutes of the classic movie "Miracle on 34th Street" tonight, which included a scene where the man
going by the name Kris Kringle and claiming to be the "real Santa Claus," all the while also performing in the role of store Santa at
Macy's, meets a recently arrived Dutch girl who speaks no English. He speaks Dutch with her briefly, and they sing a song in Dutch
together. In the movie, there is no translation provided. I was able to catch all but one word, as it turns out. Well, one bit I had to hear
twice, I suppose. You can watch the scene here, and a translation of the
scene can be found here.

The word I didn't know is the first word in the song after Sinterklaas, in case you didn't guess.

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4514 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 168 of 251
13 January 2014 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 
Cross posted from the Team Oranje thread:

Hallo. Mijn naam is Geoff, en ik studeer al anderhalf jaar Nederlands. Ik ben ermee
begonnen omdat ik wilde een spraak studeeren dat ik snel kon beheersen. En dat gebeurde--
wat lezen betreft, tenminste, en misschien ook met mijn luistervermogen. Inmiddels heb
ik ook een beetje experimenteerd met schrijven in het Nederlands, en heel weinig gepraat.
Het zou niet te veel overdreven zijn om te zeggen dat ik KAN schrijven en praten, maar
men moet er toevoegen, ik kan "een beetje." Dit jaar wil ik nog meer vooruitgang maken.

Hello. My name is Geoff and I have been studying Dutch for a year and a half. I
started with it because I wanted to study a language that I could master quickly. And
that happened - as far as reading is concerned, at least, and perhaps also with my
listening ability. Meanwhile I also have experimented a bit with writing in Dutch, and
have talked very little. It would not be too much of an exaggeration to say that I CAN
write and talk, but one must add, I can do "a little." This year I want to make more
progress.

This discussion contains 251 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version