Triglot
United States
Joined 4501 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 193 of 251
30 March 2014 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
Ik denk nu erover, wat voor doelpunten ik zou hebben tijdens het nieuwe Super Challenge.
Il y a pour moi beaucoup de langues que je peut choisir d'apprendre.
Zum Beispiel, soll ich einen Versuch machen, mein Deutsch immer mehr zu verbessern?
Oppure, potrebbe leggere un grosso sacco di libri in Italiano.
Или может быт толко с русском языком?
Or all at once???
------------------
I'm now thinking about what my goals should be for the new Super Challenge.
There are so many languages for me that I could choose to learn.
For example, should I try to keep improving my German?
Or I could read a fat sack of Italian books.
Or maybe just Russian?
Or all at once???

Edited by geoffw on 30 March 2014 at 6:18pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5208 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 194 of 251
31 March 2014 at 3:14am | IP Logged 
Do them all. :)

The regular challenge this time around is (only) 5000 pages, which you could do in at least 3-4 languages. Didn't you do four languages last time around, too? You can do it. :)

Besides, I don't want to look like the only one that is crazy enough to tackle three or four languages! hehe

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4501 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 195 of 251
31 March 2014 at 3:26am | IP Logged 
I registered with the bot for three, and tracked 4 in my log. Italian I didn't do much for on the reading side, but
I think I was at least past 2500 pages for both German and French, and hit 5000 for Dutch. I'm reading much
faster now for all of the above, but Russian is a big potential time sink.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5208 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 196 of 251
31 March 2014 at 3:39am | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
I registered with the bot for three, and tracked 4 in my log. Italian I didn't do much for on the reading side, but I think I was at least past 2500 pages for both German and French, and hit 5000 for Dutch. I'm reading much faster now for all of the above, but Russian is a big potential time sink.

I've read over 1000 pages in Spanish in the last 6 weeks. A lot of it depends on if you find a good book to read. :) Your French, German, and Dutch would be very do-able, if you've already gotten through 2500 pages or more of each of them.

I wouldn't call Russian a big potential time sink. I think I would look at it more as a great opportunity to learn more and improve by leaps and bounds. :D

I'm actually planning to do a Double Challenge (10k pages) for Spanish and French this time around. I'm not worried about the reading part - but I think it will be a LOT more watching and listening than I'm used to. I think the audio part of the challenge will be more challenging for those of us who choose to do multiple languages again. At least those of us that like to read. :)

Suzie
Diglot
Belgium
Joined 4042 days ago

155 posts - 226 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Dutch

Message 197 of 251
01 May 2014 at 10:24am | IP Logged 
Hi geoffw, wanted to wish you a great start in the Super Challenge! Can't wait to see what you are choosing for resources for both Dutch and French.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6410 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 198 of 251
01 May 2014 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
I recommend you to aim for the half-challenges at first, and then you can decide later in which language(s?) to do a full challenge.

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4501 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 199 of 251
06 August 2014 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 
Four months between posts? <shrug> I'm still "studying" regularly, but haven't had much to say about it recently.
In particular, I've decided that I have the opposite incentive from many people, in that once I post goals in my log, I
seem to become less likely to meet them. So I've been afraid of sabotaging my efforts.

But I just had an insight to share, which isn't all that deep, but may be encouraging. A while back I did maybe 20-
30 Assimil Russian lessons as part of a 6WC. It went OK, but the lessons were WAY harder and I had a terrible time
actually learning the vocabulary. I had to redo the lessons over and over and over to get the vocab to stick in my
head (and even that had iffy results). Since then, I've "read" several hundred pages of Harry Potter (mainly book 5)
in Russian. My comprehension level remains very low, but greater than zero.

I've recently returned to Assimil Russian and picked up more or less where I left off. The difference is amazing.
Each individual lesson now seems trivial. Non-zero work, and useful, but a trivial amount of effort.

It just so happens that this is similar to how I got through my first Assimil course (and the only one that I've
"finished"), French. I got through some of it (maybe 60 lessons) and got away from it. But I read Harry Potter,
among other things, and listened to French audio. When I came back to Assimil French after a while, it was easy to
pick up and keep going. The overall difficulty of the course seemed to have dropped significantly, despite my
having "neglected my studies" for months.

So for the nth time: find something in your TL that you enjoy. If you stop enjoying it, find something else you
enjoy, and repeat as necessary. You'll keep improving, despite yourself.

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4501 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 200 of 251
13 August 2014 at 4:13am | IP Logged 
Je continue à étudier avec Assimil Russe (c'est à dire, "Assimil Russian," la version anglaise), et je continue à me
débrouiller...ben...sans peine, disons. Je viens d'achever le 39eme leçon. La semaine dernière j'ai fait un voyage
avec la famille, pendant lequel je n'ai pas étudié autant que je voulais, mais suffisamment bien, je crois. En même
temps, mon livre préférée aujourd'hui est toujours Harry Potter, mais cette fois ci, c'est en Italien, et c'est le
numéro six.

En avant!

This discussion contains 251 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version