Joined 4609 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 9 of 47
04 January 2015 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
I feel the same way about Anki. I made most of my gains during
2011 in Korean when I had a lot of free time and read about 15 Korean novels and lots
and lots of content online, just looking up a lot of words. However, like you stated,
you have to keep that up until you get to an advanced level before you can cool off.

Yeah. Extensive reading is super effective, but it takes some work for you to see the
benefits. Like, reading 60 pages and expecting magic to happen, that's not very
realistic. It's more along the line of 6000 pages. Actually, you CAN have good
comprehension along the lines of 60 pages, what I'm referring to is ability to output
original sentences. The ones I can write well and say well are the ones I've been
repeatedly and extensively exposed to. You'll have gained an amazing grip on the
language and will be very advanced. But it takes time. That's what I found from my own
experience. The more time I had, the faster my progress was.

The Real CZ wrote:
I'm in the same situation you are (not medicine, thank God), but in
the sense that I'll also be working and having to study for exams to get licensed.
Then there's a masters program I want to do, plus the continuing education that I'll
have to do every year.

You're in finance, right? I know a few people in the field and the hours are pretty
heavy, from what I hear. I'm also studying for my license (medical), and there's a
masters I want to do too. Not to mention re-certification exams/continuing education
regularly. Oh boy. Good luck to you.

The Real CZ wrote:
That is why I'm using Anki for MCDs, but instead of actually
testing myself, I'm using it as a tool for intensive reading. This allows me to read
interesting content and see the translation of the clozed word as if I was using a
pop-up dictionary.

You know, that's a pretty interesting way to put it. I did think along these lines
vaguely before, of rather than testing myself, I should approach the whole thing as
intensive reading. That just gave me an idea.
Yomichan works in Anki in a similar way. I think I'll
try it out this way and see how that goes. I'm liking the idea of spending time with
interesting content with Anki, rather than having separate slots for the two. Good
tip.

I think LWT (Learning With Texts) also works
similarly. All the more for targeted practice with native material, saves a huge
amount of time, which I desperately need.

Edited by Woodsei on 04 January 2015 at 11:21pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4609 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 10 of 47
04 January 2015 at 11:20pm | IP Logged 
@Teango: So glad you dropped by, Teango! Great hearing from you again. How's
everything going in Hawaii, and on the language learning front? I really look forward
to reading your log, too.
Concerning these graded readers, they go all the way up to level 4, which I think
either incorporates, or starts to incorporate, JLPT N2 vocab and kanji. At least from
what I've read. And they have very interesting stories and tidbits about Japan,
Japanese myths and folktales, modern tales, fantasy, facts, horror (yep, ghosts and
such), and adapted stories of well-known Japanese authors, as well as some famous
American and foreign ones too. All in all, I liked them a lot. They're so self-
explanatory, with pictures and all, furigana over the kanji where you need it, and the
audio is professional and always a plus. They're published by proponents of Tadoku
(extensive reading) in Japan, so you know they know what they're doing.

@Sooniye: Thank you, and good luck with your goals too this year!

@druckfehler: I appreciate it, druckfehler, and I also look forward to following your
log. It can be very difficult juggling work and personal interests, and I hope that,
through my log, I can offer some insight as to how someone can do that. As for Anki,
I'll try my best, though I can't be sure, considering my spectacular track record of
failing to use it. We'll see.
And I couldn't have organized the team without all of your support and advice; really
I'm very glad to be working with you all :)

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4609 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 11 of 47
05 January 2015 at 12:52am | IP Logged 
Nieng Zhonghan wrote:
Woodsei wrote:

2. Write on Lang-8 regularly, and try to make friends to talk to. Self-talk and shadow
a lot more. I want to be able to produce Japanese.

I have written once a text in Japanese with one full word document page length in
lang-8 (in Japanese). I wanted to check the quality of my corrections changing some
small things (nuances, best word usage, "particles", idioms) just to know if the
person would give me a good feedback. I didn't made an obvious mistake out of blue in
order to not make it so obvious. I guess thee or four people corrected me and two of
them pointed out exactly the mistakes I made on purpose.

So, I guess lang-8 might be a good resource for Japanese, though I have seen so many
texts in English that has never been corrected.

You haven't mentioned here, but I also doubt the quality of texts corrections I have
seen on Italki so far. I asked well educated native speakers) and they have pointed
out mistakes in the supposedly other native speakers' corrections. So, what is the
point to use a website where even native speakers or those claiming advanced fluency
makes mistakes even I, as a low English level can find out?

In case you know any website where native speakers correct texts in English, let me
know.

Quote:

1. Vocabulary: Anki. I never stuck with it, although I know it may have its
merits. I also know that even though it makes me think I'm just memorizing sentences,
what it's actually doing is making me memorize patterns, which goes a long way towards
language acquisition. But I just felt that spending the time reading/listening is way
more worthwhile, so I kept doing that, and abandoned Anki. However, that was back when
I had all the time in the world; now I have a full-time job,and I'm busy studying for
my medical board exams, and just don't have that luxury anymore. So here I go again. I
still have mixed feelings about it, and I don't know if I'll ever stick to it, but I
decided to give it a fair chance. I'll try to input sentences, but I'll keep the
entries deliberately small to avoid the huge backlog of reviews that totally kills my
motivation to even look at Japanese. Like 5-10/day, which should be manageable. Then
I'll scale accordingly, depending on how much time and effort I'm willing to spend on
Anki. The goal here is to try to maximize efficiency without taking time from using
real native materials. If sentences don't work, I'll just do individual words, and if
that doesn't also work, I'll look up things as I read, look at word-lists, whatever,
but just do anything to get myself there. I don't know how many words I know, so I'll
probably be spending time trying to figure out where I am level-wise in order to avoid
repeating words I already know.

You described exactly what I felt using SRS (Anki) so far. Have you tried Memrise
before? I mean, if you think that you are not going to stick with Anki (as I doubt I
will stuck with my decks this year...), then Memrise would be an option since there
are already many courses available for Japanese. Some of them contain audio, so, it is
quite handy. Once you get tired of it, you can simply not log in into that website.

The thing is I also feel that I am memorizing sentences (I am using for German right
now). So, my plan is to take the most 1000 words and start memorizing the vocabulary
and those that I tend to forget or don't remember during my reviews, I am planning to
add some few sentences with a context. I think Anki is good for beginners, but at your
level, you may go directly into reading as you stated as one of your main goals for

Quote:

I'm currently obsessing over 進撃の巨人。

I am considering reading or watching進撃の巨人 this year. I am looking forward to your
review! :D

Wish you good luck with your goals, Captain!!
[/QUOTE]

Thank you. Much, much appreciated, Nieng Zhonghan :) I'm glad to be on board with all
of you.

I think Lang-8 might have a lot of Japanese natives giving correct feedback,
considering the popularity of the language, but, by the same token, so should English.
I'm surprised, honestly. I haven't tried iTalk yet, so I can't vouch for them or
anything, but I'm thinking that what the problem really is is that a lot of the time,
native speakers are unable to explain why things work in a certain way, they don't
know why, they just know that's how you say things. I know that sometimes I'm stumped
when it comes to explaining points in either English or Arabic, or not being able to
translate something, simply because languages can be that different. There are a lot
of subtleties, nuances, and cultural influences that make things untranslatable, even
though you perfectly understand what they mean. It's just that you can't verbalize
your understanding of it.

That said, I'll look into any websites that may offer you a better quality than what
you've experienced, although, you still may find good editors over at Lang-8. And if
you ever need any advice or have questions regarding English, you can ask me, if
that's something you may be interested in.

Other members on the forum can be pretty helpful, too.

Regarding Memrise, I did check it out previously, and they do have a nice selection of
material. My problems with SRS are twofold, though:

1. It's dry and boring.
2. Premade decks can be fantastic and useful, and you can almost treat them like a
textbook. But they don't resonate with me on a personal level. At least what I learn
best is what I find myself, and look up myself. Which means I have to spend time
mining stuff and inputting, time I can spend reading even more, and listening even
more. I'm not trying to be lazy here, and targeted practice is always beneficial,
it's just that...I don't know. I guess that special phrase stops being special as soon
as it's in Anki, you know?

I know that repetition aids learning so....I'll try my best with Anki. Then again,
like you said, maybe reading a lot is more efficient for me at this stage. I'll play
around with it and see.

進撃の巨人 is pretty dark. It's about all of humanity bunched within walls because the
world has been taken over by man-eating giants/titans. I'm still trying to figure out
if the setting is in the future, or in the past, or in an alternate dimension, there
still is a lot to be revealed. It does have some pretty amazing plot twists, and
really, I haven't read a story or watched something as original as that, although the
main idea itself isn't so new (i.e. the world fighting back a common evil, and I don't
like mecha anime, or aliens and what not). This may partly be why it's so appealing to
me, but tbh I'm just immensely enjoying it. It's theme is depressing though, and the
mangaka isn't afraid of making pretty gut-wrenching decisions concerning the
characters. I won't say more because I don't want to spoil it for you. I liked the
anime art more than the manga art, too. It may be that Isayama-san's is a little
amateurish, or he may have intentionally rendered the art this way to make for the
fearful theme of the story, and it does sort of bring a little originality to it. But
I like the manga anyway, so that's okay. I like well-drawn manga, but the story is
more important to me, therefore all the art in the world won't make me like something
if it isn't well-written. I liked Gokusen a lot, and I was able to eventually get past
the art because the story was so funny, even if somewhat controversial. So there. The
death scenes, though, they're not aimless gore as something like Battle Royale (which
I hated with a passion, I didn't even finish it), but they are pretty shocking. So be
warned, not an easy watch. I still love the story. I usually prefer reading books
first over watching their adaptations, since the books have better stories
(movies/shows cut out a lot of really important stuff), but this particular anime was
really well executed, and relies on surprise elements, so I don't want that spoiled
for me until season 2 is released, which I hear is in the works. So I'll just keep
reading up to where the anime stopped, even though I'm dying to know how it all
unfolds. The manga isn't over yet. I'll keep you posted.

Edited by Woodsei on 05 January 2015 at 12:59am

2 persons have voted this message useful

TimmyTurner93
Groupie
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3479 days ago

45 posts - 58 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Portuguese, Japanese

Message 12 of 47
05 January 2015 at 5:09pm | IP Logged 
Woodsei wrote:
I know that repetition aids learning so....I'll try my best with Anki.
Then again,
like you said, maybe reading a lot is more efficient for me at this stage. I'll play
around with it and see.

Whatever you decide on I'll be following you closely. Wishing you loads of luck. OH
Captain, My Captain!!

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4609 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 13 of 47
06 January 2015 at 2:17am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the vote of confidence, TimmyTurner93. Glad you dropped by. Although when
you put it that way, it feels like I'm captaining a sinking ship, lol.

Well, so much for a first day of serious studying. I have even less time than I
thought I would, and that was me being generous. That said, I did manage to read some
pages of なぜ?どうして?かがくのはなし, but nowhere near as efficient as I wanted it to
be. I'll try to bump up my reading count tonight. I'm watching Tokyo Bandwagon, which
is a slice of life drama about a family. Not so much there, but it's got 亀梨和也
Kaminashi Kazuya, which is always a plus. And it's a heartwarming story. I find I zero
in on the speech better when I isten to the dialogue without watching the episode, so
I'm keeping it on loop while I do other things like study for my boards and whatnot.
It helps that I watched the episode so I know what's going on. I also threw in there a
bunch of dialogue-only tracks from the upper beginner and lower intermediate seasons
of Jpod. Nothing new there, all very easy, but the repetitive practice is always good.
I can a hear a lot of snippets of dialogue from Jpod and Tokyo Bandwagon floating
around in my head during the day.

I also found that while I hate doing Anki while at home, I don't mind it so much
during lunch break, so maybe I should look to do reviews at work, and just add some
new entries in the evening from my immersion environment, and just forget about them.
We'll see. I'm trying so hard to make Anki work without being such a chore.

I'm not that happy with what I'm doing generally, though. It feels unfocused, and
basically the same old thing. I'm thinking of narrowing down the amount of things I do
on the weeknights to get the maximum benefit, like either focus on listening a lot to
an entire episode and have it on repeat, while adding some entries to Anki, or just do
Tadoku for the whole evening while having some monotonous Japanese play in the
background. I'll try out a few different approaches and see what gives me the most
benefit in terms of exposure, and I don't want to lose sight of my primary goal, which
is to know as many words as possible and fixate those patterns in my head in order to
be able to use the language actively. I can go all out on the weekends.     

It's good to come here and review my progress in order to re-evaluate my priorities.

It will be difficult writing a journal entry on Lang-8 every evening after work, so
I'll keep that activity reserved for the weekends, when I'm not so much under time
constraints. I honestly can't wait for when July rolls in when my exams would be
over. It would be a HUGE load lifted off of my shoulders. It's a lot of stress just
thinking about them, so I'm just taking it on a day-by-day basis.

Edited by Woodsei on 06 January 2015 at 7:59am

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4978 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 14 of 47
06 January 2015 at 7:00pm | IP Logged 
I am also on the non-Anki side of the ship =D And it turns out I have to pay extra attention to what I read, because I won't have Anki ask me about it again.

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4444 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 15 of 47
07 January 2015 at 11:01pm | IP Logged 
Hi Captain! As Druckfehler, I look forward to seeing how you organize yourself but also
what you read and what you think of it! I remember some Tadokus where you were reading a
ton of stuff so I'll try to take you as an example for that this year since it's going to
be my focus for this year.

宜しくね!

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4609 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 16 of 47
10 January 2015 at 7:08am | IP Logged 
yuhakko wrote:
Hi Captain! As Druckfehler, I look forward to seeing how you organize yourself but also what you read and what you think of it! I remember some
Tadokus where you were reading a ton of stuff so I'll
try to take you as an example for that this year since it's going to be my focus for this year.

宜しくね!

こちらこそよろしくね、yuhakkoーさん!

I read a ton of stuff previously, but within my level. Looking on the brighter side of things, reading within my level made me very good at said level. However,
I didn't advance because I wasn't challenging myself. I intend to change that this year.

So, I decided to give the Anki thing a rest for now. I'm signed up for both the January Tadoku, and the Super Challenge, so that alone tells me clearly what I
need to be working on. I'll focus on reading a lot, both extensive and intensive, as well as listening. Listening is easier to maintain throughout the day
because it's independent of location, and I can listen in the car, at home, on lunch break at work, and even
while I work on med cases and practice questions, I can have it run in the background. Obviously I'll be dedicating a time for reading, an hour at the most
every evening, and trying to read as much and as fast as I can without compromising comprehension, but at the same time without focusing on attaining perfect
mastery of whatever I am reading. Say, understanding 80% of what I read is enough to make me move on to other
material. The important words and phrases will come up whatever it is I'm reading, so I will not be too hard on myself over getting perfect comprehension. As
long as I have an understanding of the words and patterns and being able to get the gist of any given sentence/paragraph, I should be fine. In my experience,
when I move on, and later come back to that material, I find my comprehension of it perfect, or almost
there, and as such, it is easier to learn from that material when I am able to distinguish the finer nuances of it. Lots of exposure does that to me, I like to
believe. So yeah.

I'm not a stickler for metrics, personally, but I do definitely see why it might be useful to keep track of that on a language learning forum. Others may be
able to see how I progress better that way than rely on vague and anecdotal statements. So I decided to keep track of my reading using
book meter. I'll keep track of how many words I read as I go. Whether or not they will be just the
new, unkown words, or all of them, I have yet to decide. I think I will do a general word count. It's also motivating to see your word count rack up. It'll be
interesting seeing how that goes!

So, for numerical goals:

1. At least 100 books this year. I intend to read all 100 come hell or high water.
2. At least 100 movies/or TV and radio equivalents. This should be very doable this year.

I want to breakdown my reading goals into monthly chunks, because they're short enough to be able to gauge without getting lost in a sea of numbers. So, for
January, it's to read 2000 pages of books or their equivalent of manga/blog posts/news/etc.
I'm also going to be reading the lyrics of 30 songs, and listening to them. So one new song everyday. This is very easy for me to do. I enjoy music, and it's
short enough not to detract from my time, while being intensive enough that I actually learn something from it. Also it's easier to memorize lyrics due to the
nature of music resonating with me on an emotional level, which in turn helps improve pronunciation and fluidity of speech. I mean here easily and automatically
moving my mouth, not necessarily active production. I came to a conclusion that the most important thing for me to do now is to focus on words, words, words,
and more words. This is the biggest hurdle I have to overcome. Grammar learns itself through lots of exposure and repetition, regardless of whether I know the
rules or not. I'll look up grammar points as I go, if I need them to understand something, but I won't dwell on them. There will be a time for grammar, but not
now. I also won't worry too much about whether I should be using bilingual or monolingual dictionaries. Eventually, as my vocab goes up, I will be able to
understand definitions in Japanese, it's an inevitable part of the language learning process, so there's no point in trying to torture myself right
now. I still hate translating back and forth between Japanese and English, so I'll look up the individual parts and let my brain process the Japanese by itself.
Translations have their uses, I'm still trying to figure out how best to use them without affecting my processing of Japanese, but I'll worry about that later.
That said, when I do look up words using Tangorin/Denshi Jisho/Rikaisama-kun-chan, I also check them on Sanseido and the Goo dictionaries. It's amazing how
effective reading Japanese definitions has on comprehension and language ability. But I won't slave over it. The main goal here, and I want to reiterate and
not lose sight of it, is to read as much as I can in the time that I have. I'm telling this to myself, not to you guys, so don't feel put off by whatever
aggressive tone I may be using. Take for instance 秘め事 
(ひめごと) (a secret pertaining to the person in question, and usually not a small one). The Sanseido definition is 秘密にしていること.Goo gives you longer
definitions and actually gives you subtle usages, like when to say the word, and what differentiates it from other synonyms. This is another reason why I want
to rev up my vocabulary acquisition. So I can read the definitions in the original Japanese without relying on
the English. I'm not putting it off, as you can see, but it's still a dual process looking up words in both English and Japanese. I just want to do Japanese
only.

So now's the fun part. While we're on the topic of songs, here are the ones I'm currently obsessing over right now:

1. Hello Sleepwalkers:午夜の待ち合わせ Link
2. Ling Tosite Sugire 凛として時雨: Unravel. It's the OP of Tokyo Ghoul. Couldn't find an MV, sorry :s
3. One Ok Rock: じぶんロック Jibun Rock. I love these guys! Another good one for them is
完全感覚 Dreamer.
Unfortunately, their newer songs have a ton of English, eating up a huge chunk of the lyrics, but they're still awesome. I'm trying to listen to things that are
mostly Japanese right now, God knows I have enough English in my life, but I'll listen to their newer ones during the times where my brain is so tired it can't
handle 100% Japanese. By the way, the lead vocalist, Taka, has a younger brother Hiro who's the lead singer for another rock band, My First Story. The few I
heard were pretty good, but again, there's a still some English involved. Here's a good one. I'm just listening to big brother Taka's older- and mostly-Japanese songs for now :) I like One Ok Rock's style a little more, too. But My First Story are really, really
good.

I'm fangirling like crazy over the above four bands. Really wonderful music, in all honesty. The singers voices are exceptionally unique, and the music is
catchy as hell. Glad I found them.
Spending the last four hours doing nothing but abusing the repeat button isn't a good sign, though. I really should hit the books...

As to what I'm reading:

1. ノラガミ manga (I love anything that touches on Japanese culture heavily)
2. 時をかける少女 Light Novel
3. 進撃の巨人 manga
4.   なぜ?どうして?かがくのお なし  Elementary schoolchildren's science stories, goes all the way up to the sixth grade, six books in total. They have other
series that talk about myths, culture, foreign stories, etc. An enjoyable read.

Watching nothing at the moment but I'll keep you posted when I do.

So I'll keep track of what I read, watch, and listen to, and make sure to meet my numbers. Hopefully I'll be able to share some thoughts on them, in hopes that
someone might find them useful or interesting.

Edited by Woodsei on 10 January 2015 at 7:14am

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 47 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version