United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5337 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 33 of 47
24 January 2015 at 3:30pm | IP Logged 
I completely agree that several aspects of Jpop still seem to be lacking compared to those of its Korean equivalent. I too have noticed that AKB48's choreography is quite "plain" compared to most
Kpop groups and the songs are much more homogeneous. Both of these are likely due to having to ensure that each song can be performed by any combination of members from the 3 teams or even
by their sister groups. The songs for the various subgroups are a bit more distinct since they have set member lists.

What I really need to track down (but keep forgetting to do so) are J.Min's Japanese releases. So far I've thoroughly enjoyed every song she has released in Korean and when I looked up her
discography, I discovered that she had debuted in Japan long before she did in Korea (similar to what CNBLUE did). Her music style is much closer to what I used to enjoy most in English. In fact, her
music reminds me a lot of the music Michelle Branch released when she debuted. (I haven't been following English music for years, so I'm not sure if Michelle Branch is even still releasing music. I
recall hearing that she had switched to country music at one point, but that was after I was already thoroughly immersed in the Korean music world.)

Another group I need to check out is Perfume. CZ has frequently mentioned that group, but I've never taken the time to check them out yet.

I'm also still fairly new to the Japanese music world as most of my dabbling in the past has been with Japanese releases by Kpop groups (in particular, Kara's Japanese releases), so I'm sure once I
dig deeper I'll find those groups which I truly enjoy, just like I did with Korean.

Edited by Warp3 on 24 January 2015 at 3:31pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4599 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 34 of 47
31 January 2015 at 9:03am | IP Logged 
It's been some time since I've posted an update. My exam date is getting closer, and I'm having those horrible pretest jitters. I don't usually
respond like that to exams, usually I'm just a little nervous, but this one is scaring me. I'm sleep-deprived and I end up staying up until the
wee hours of the morning, only managing to clock in a few hours worth of sleep before I go to work. The reason is that works sucks up so much
time, and I really need to cover ground in my studies for the exam, so I don't know what else to do, and I wind up staying up late. Like now.
Recently, I've been wasting a lot of time doing unrelated things just because I'm so stressed, and that ends up making me feel even worse, because
I could have used that time constructively for studying. I guess it's because I feel that so much depends on getting a very good score. I keep
telling myself not to look at the end result, and just do my best working for it, but it's not easy.

Anyway, here's what I've been doing with Japanese. I originally set a goal of extensively reading 2000 pages by the end of the month, and
intensively reading song lyrics of 30 songs, but I didn't meet them. Under different circumstances, I might have, not sure. That said, I did
manage to work on 10 songs, and read around 567 pages of Japanese. I haven't updated my twitter count yet, because I don't want to keep posting
updates and annoying everyone on my list that isn't participating in Tadoku, so I just post the total number all at once at the end of the month.
The page count isn't even half of my initial goal, but it's nothing to sneeze at. I'm actually proud of myself for having read that much while
juggling other time-consuming projects. I also managed to watch an entire series (it was during that exam-prep-stressed-so-waste-more-time
period), which I'll get to shortly.

So here's a quick review of the few things I've been doing.

Songs:

1. Hello Sleepwalkers:
午夜の待ち合わせ
天地創造
猿は木から何処へ落ちる

I love this band. The music is so invigorating, and their lyrics are moving. Shuntaro (シュンタロウ) and Narumi (ナルミ) have surreal voices, and the
rest of the band just rocks it with great music. Incredibly powerful. I can't get enough of them.

2. One Ok Rock:

Jibun Rock/じぶんロック
C.h.a.o.s.m.y.t.h.
完全感覚 Dreamer
Ketsuraku Automation
Answer Is Near
Keep It Real

They should change their name to One Awesome Rock. I can't get over how beautiful Taka's voice is. They have many other amazing songs but the
English eats up a huge chunk of the lyrics, so I tried to stick to the ones that were mostly Japanese. That's not to say that I don't listen to
the others. I do, just not on repeat. Sometimes :) The last song on the list is one of their older ones, and boy, they looked so young! I was also
surprised to see Toru (guitars) sing. They also had an additional member that was apparently asked to leave for some charges that I don't care to
mention. Their style was a bit different back then, but it was just as good. I don't usually listen all that much to rap/R'n'B, but they did it
well in this song (I think), and I liked the beat. Not to mention rap songs are good, I have to admit, for shadowing, and processing a long string
of unstoppable speech at high speeds.

. B'z: Uchouten. It's a new one for the new drama, Gakkou no Kaidan/学校のカイダン。B'z's a classic favorite. They're a very famous and older band of
two members, and I'm a big fan of their work. I first found them when I was watching Detective Conan a few years ago, and one of the opening songs
was sung by B'z. Apparently Uchouten is a new one and they hadn't released a single in years, so I'm glad to be on top of things with their
releases. They're a classic band, and a must for any rock lovers out there.

Drama/TV

Kazoku Game: I can't really describe the theme of the drama except like this: spooky as hell. It was a perfectly produced and written drama
series, in my honest opinion, and one of the best I've seen in a long time. It stars Sakurai Sho 櫻井翔 of Arashi (Jpop boy band) and Kamiki
Ryunosuke 神木 隆之介, among others. It focuses on an abnormally disjointed family, and the tutor, played by Sho, who comes to tutor the kids. Sho-
chan's performance, was brilliant. His character can be described as someone with a painful memory who hides it with a creepy smile and persona,
and has a hidden craziness underneath. Some of the "methods" he employs when tutoring the children are unorthodox, and to the sane person,
controversial and plain wrong. I was shocked repeatedly at the actions of the character, but Sho-chan played him brilliantly. I also enjoyed
Kamiki's performance a lot. It's been some time since I've seen an actor play a conflicted role so well, and Kamiki was really amazing. He also
stars in the currently airing drama, Gakkou no Kaidan, about a school and the theme is bullying, and his role there is also very unique and played
perfectly by him. I actually watched the first episode of Gakkou no Kaidan, was really taken by him, and searched for more of his work, and that's
how I found Kazoku Game. When I first heard his voice, I thought, "He'd make a great seiyuu (voice actor)!," before I found out that he actually
is, too, on top of being a live action actor. He's rapidly becoming one of my favorites. Sakurai Sho has always been such a fun actor to watch.
Actually the whole band of Arashi have some really great works, like Hana Yori Dango/Bambino (Matsumoto Jun/松本潤) and Maou (Ohno Satoshi/大野智).
I may not like pop songs all that much, but the guys are so down to earth and have some really good dramas under their belts. And their variety
shows are fun to watch, too.

Back to Kazoku Game. I don't want to say more and spoil the story for you, but it's definitely worth watching. It's that good. There are some
shocking and pretty emotionally intense scenes, which make it very credible. I believe I read that the drama was adapted off a manga by the same
name, and I think a film was made off the manga some years ago. Also, it was really funny to see a Jpop singer (Sho) in one of the episodes
respond to a cheesy line spoken by one of the characters by saying something along the lines of "What is this? This isn't Jpop" :D

I was pleasantly surprised to find out that Rurouni Kenshin: Kyoto Taika Hen and Rurouni Kenshin: Densetsu no Saigo Hen, have theme songs by One
Ok Rock (Mighty Long Fall), and Kamiki-san plays Seta Soujiro. Uwaaa! Satoh Takeru too. All my favorites in one place. I've only watched the
trailers, but I'll wait until my exams are over and reward myself with a Kenshin movie night of all 3 films.

Books

なぜ?どうして? 1-3 年。This is the science series, and the books are broken up into mini-topics that are easily digestible, like the body, animals,
etc. Because they discuss things we already know, they make for a good source of comprehensible input, and as such I can easily learn words from
them. They're graded well, obviously, and introduce only the kanji the Japanese school children in the respective grades should be able to
identify. They're books aimed at native elementary students in Japan, but I found them very helpful, imho. And very enjoyable too.

Twitter: I follow a number of Japanese tweets, and one that I think is particularly helpful is this
Ghibli bot. It tweets lines from Studio Ghibli's works in Japanese, as well as the English
translation for those who need it. I originally found out about it at Japanese Level Up, and I'm so glad I did. It's a goldmine of Anki-ready
sentences and their translations, and introduces lots of very useful speech patterns, styles, and phrases. I'm a big fan of Ghibli films like
Howl's Moving Castle, so I expect to be spending time on twitter following Ghibli and others.

I'm also doing intensive reading of various short articles randomly online, but haven't done much of those.

So, stats.

Reading pages: 567
Lyrics/Tweets/Sentences: 327
Drama/Movie Minutes/Hours: Each episode was roughly 46 minutes, so every two episodes count as 90 minutes, or one film by SC standards.
Judging that there are 11 episodes of Kazoku Game, that adds up to 5.5 movies. Not bad.

Plans

I want to increase my use of Anki more. Yes, I still have a very complicated relationship with it, but as the exam date approaches, the only way I
can gauge for sure my progress without jumping randomly from one thing to the other, would be through using Anki. At least I'll know that I'll
have to stick to the default settings of 20 a day, or get it down to 10 to avoid the backlog of reviews that may result, and it'll be easier to
measure and keep track of. I'll just need to get down to doing it and making it a habit. Then, after the exams are over, I'll decide whether it's
worth continuing with Anki in addition to immersion, or just going back to immersion without Anki. Time will tell.

I wanted to do RTK but haven't done so yet. So that's another goal. Just start with the reviews, or maybe just review them in the context of Anki
sentences/passages.

I'll also try to update more frequently. It helps to get my thoughts out, makes me feel that I'm making progress, and motivates my to go back to
my board studies.
2 persons have voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5451 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 35 of 47
01 February 2015 at 12:50am | IP Logged 
It seems like people either love or hate One OK Rock. I'm part of the latter, though I
know many friends online that like their music.
1 person has voted this message useful

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4599 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 36 of 47
01 February 2015 at 1:17am | IP Logged 
@TheRealCZ: I think it maybe because of the heavy use of English, which may not sound so
natural at times. I mean, the Japanese sounds so much better anyway, so why bother? I
guess to them English is as interesting as Japanese is to me. That's why I actually
mostly just listen to their Japanese-heavy songs. Then again, it all boils down to
music preferences, so I don't think you hating OOR is that big of a deal :D

What styles of music and/or bands/singers do you like, Japanese or other? I get that you
enjoy Kpop a lot.

Edited by Woodsei on 01 February 2015 at 2:53am

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5451 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 37 of 47
01 February 2015 at 2:06am | IP Logged 
When it comes to Japanese music, I listen to rock, electronica and hiphop. I usually
either listen to alternative/indie rock or the heavier, non-metal rock. For hiphop, I
mainly listen to the stuff from the late 90s and early ti mid 2000s. I listen to some
electronic music, such as capsule.

A list of some of my favorite Japanese bands/groups/artists:

m-flo
BoA (just counting her Japanese releases)
Amuro Namie
capsule
Home Made Kazoku
FLOW
RIP Slyme
Rhymester
school food punishment
High and Mighty Color
L'Arc~en~Ciel
UVERworld
Asian Kung Fu Generation
Bump of Chicken
Orange Range
ICONIQ (she only had one album in Japan)
Tamaki Roy
Shing02
Nujabes
LiL
DJ Okawari
Mademoiselle Yulia
Perfume
DJ Deckstream
Tha Blue Herb
Kreva
Saori@destiny

3 persons have voted this message useful

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4599 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 38 of 47
01 February 2015 at 2:52am | IP Logged 
L'Arc~en~Ciel, Asian Kung Fu Generation, FLOW, m-flo, BoA (I'm especially attached to
Masayume Chasing), Amuro Namie, and Orange Range (Ikenai Taiyo was pretty good) are all
artists I like a lot, too, and follow. Especially BoA, though I know she's Korean. I
haven't listened to her Korean songs, yet, but hopefully will do so once more time is
freed up so I can start Korean.

I haven't heard much for the others, so thanks a lot for posting that list, as that will
give me more artists to check out.

I also like SiD very, very much. Stereopony, Aqua Timez, Garnet Crow, and The Sketchbook
too. Come to think of it, most of the artists I've been listening to I have come across
for the first time watching a drama or an anime, or something.

Edited by Woodsei on 01 February 2015 at 2:55am

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5451 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 39 of 47
01 February 2015 at 2:57am | IP Logged 
Yeah, I found a lot of groups through anime and dramas as well. Now that physical sales
are way down for 95% of the groups, more of them do tie-ins with dramas and anime now,
making it easier to find new groups to like despite it being harder to find the actual
music compared to 10 years ago.

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4434 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 40 of 47
04 February 2015 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
As you've been discussing music tastes for Japanese, I thought I'd take part:)

The Real CZ, it's quite nice to see names such as Nujabes, Shing02 or Dj okawari. IMO those are not the "typical" Japanese
artists and as such are often forgotten. I love those.

In the past, I used to like J-rock, but not anymore (god knows why, I just don't). Now, I've gotten more in pop/rap, I just love
japanese sang fast and when it's rap, it just makes me wanna sing so much.

I have no idea in which style I'd put this song, but here's my latest favorite (learnt by heart just by listening to it so much
^^) : おまえに

This discussion contains 47 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version