Warp3 wrote:
For the vast majority of the Gaki no Tsukai episodes I've seen, the main lineup
is:
- Hamada Masatoshi (浜田雅功)
- Matsumoto Hitoshi (松本人志)
- Yamasaki Housei (山崎邦正)
- Endou Shouzou (遠藤章造)
- Tanaka Naoki (田中直樹)

There are a few others that appear quite regularly as well, especially on the year-end batsu
games, but I don't recognize the name you gave as one of them.

I guessed as much. I recognize the names, too, and thought his was just a guest appearance.
1 person has voted this message useful

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4434 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 26 of 47
12 January 2015 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
I haven't watched so many Gaki no tsukai apart from the batsu games but indeed this name
doesn't ring a bell, and neither does his face. ^^
And yeah, the team of gaki no tsukai (although originally being only Hamada and
Matsumoto) is composed of those 5 as they are pretty much all the time together.

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4599 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 27 of 47
13 January 2015 at 3:39am | IP Logged 
Time for some stats. Finished reading 52 pages of なぜ?どうして? last night, and the lyrics for じぶんロック/じぶんRock (My Own Rock). I read the book
extensively, and I learned a new word,  苛められっ子 (いじめられっこ)/bullied child. The lyrics were intensive reading, and I learned a lot of new
words and expressions, too. Interestingly, many words from the lyrics showed up in the book, which made extensive reading much smoother, but also
reading extensively and trying to keep at a fairly normal reading speed carried over to the lyrics and helped me internalize the patterns a bit
more. They both feed into each other, and I regret not doing it sooner. I'm really liking this, and I think I'll keep going at it for some time to
come.

I know I said I'll be doing one song a day. That doesn't include memorization, but intensive reading, then extensively reading the lyrics over the
following days. My goal here is to build vocabulary quickly and drill sentence patterns, and the songs are short enough, but dense enough to do so
without spending hours at the computer. It's a pace I can keep up with within my heavy workload. Also, the repeated listening of the song, as well
as the repeated reading, is helping me memorize the song effortlessly, which should make for great production/recitation practice once I have it
all down. The readings of some kanji are also becoming a lot clearer, thanks to both extensive reading (ER) and intensive reading (IR). I think
I'll call them that from now on, it's much faster to type. And I haven't SRS'd anything.

It certainly helps that it's a song I really like (been looping it non-stop for the past couple of days). I always learn best when what I learn
from is very interesting or entertaining.

Speaking of which, I'm also going to resurrect my RTK deck and start reviewing the kanji. Nothing crazy here, maybe 10-15 a day to avoid a backlog
of reviews, but what I'll be doing differently this time is adding words I come across in my immersion and reading to help with the readings. Last
night I read 5 different readings for 生 all in two pages of the book, which I thought was pretty interesting. So yeah, I'll add a few of them, but
I won't go crazy here. The aim is to drill reading while I review the meanings, not learn vocabulary. I may even just add the On and Kun readings,
since I know I'll remember where I saw them before. We'll see how that works out.

What I did realize is that, no matter how amazing and comprehensive a premade word list is, the best, fastest, easiest, and most memorable learning
is what comes through my own personal experiences and contact with the language.

I'll have to update my Tadoku count on Twitter with the pages and lyrics too, and I also need to create a spreadsheet to log in my pages and hours
for the SC. And update bookmeter too.

I watched one episode of Gaki no Tsukai, and decided to watch AKBINGO! because Warp3 mentioned it a few times. I liked Gaki no Tsukai a lot, and
I'll definitely keep following it. AKBINGO! It's always a cringe-fest watching girl idols, because of the overly cute way act, and believe me, I'm
all for being a girly girl. Nonetheless, it was interesting, largely because of the games they play, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. One idol, Iwata
Karen, while playing the Shoujiki Shogi game (don't ask) admitted that she recites manga lines in the bath, and then actually did recite out a few
lines from Shingeki no Kyojin flawlessly and with perfect emotion. It was amusing, and I really should take a page out of her book and do the same.
It would help a lot with speaking. Anyway, that was ep. 278, in case anyone's interested.

I need to hunt for more variety shows.

So all together, my viewing time was 48:25, less than an hour, and it definitely needs to go up. I've been looping it, though, throughout the day,
but I'm only counting actual first-time viewing/listening minutes, just to maximize exposure.

Obviously I need to work more on this, but it's not bad for a start.

Next up on the queue is Hello Sleepwalkers 午夜の待ち合わせ lyrics, and further reading in なぜ?どうして?I'll write my impressions of the book
hopefully shortly, as soon as I'm done with it.

Page Count:52
Lyric Lines: 28
TV/Listening Time: 48:25 minutes

2 persons have voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5337 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 28 of 47
13 January 2015 at 12:34pm | IP Logged 
Woodsei wrote:
and decided to watch AKBINGO! because Warp3 mentioned it a few
times. I liked Gaki no Tsukai a lot, and
I'll definitely keep following it. AKBINGO! It's always a cringe-fest watching girl idols,
because of the overly cute way act, and believe me, I'm
all for being a girly girl. Nonetheless, it was interesting, largely because of the games
they play, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. One idol, Iwata
Karen, while playing the Shoujiki Shogi game (don't ask) admitted that she recites manga
lines in the bath, and then actually did recite out a few
lines from Shingeki no Kyojin flawlessly and with perfect emotion. It was amusing, and I
really should take a page out of her book and do the same.
It would help a lot with speaking. Anyway, that was ep. 278, in case anyone's interested.

I'm not nearly that far into the series yet, but it's nice to see that they keep the
polygraph game (i.e Shoujiki Shogi) around in the future episodes as that is one of my
favorite games by far on that series. I started watching the show beginning with the
original episodes in late 2008 then later backtracked and picked up the AKB1じ59ふん
and AKB0じ59ふん episodes that preceded AKBINGO! and started in January 2008 (they
renamed the show as it changed time slots, then finally just dropped the time from the
name and went with AKBINGO! from that point on). Mostly due to heavy rewatching, I've
only watched up to the 2010.01.13 episode thus far.

For reference, the first episode with the polygraph game was 2009.04.29 and they had
several episodes with that game over the following few months of episodes.

Another hilarious set of episodes are those with the French lessons. Around that time
they had just held a concert in France for the first time, so to "help them with their
French" the show added a French lesson game. The game consists of being asked to
request something then being given 3 possible sentences in French. Whatever they
request by choosing the sentence is what happens to them. The French Lesson
episodes are: 2009.07.01, 2009.07.22, and 2009.08.05

Also for reference, I don't think that show really fully hit its stride until a few months into
having the name AKBINGO!. The earlier episodes are definitely worth watching,
especially for background context, and they have their share of interesting games as well
(like the Secret Psychology Tests which start at 2008.05.19 and are very entertaining),
but around spring 2009 is when AKBINGO! gets much more interesting to watch on
average.

Edited by Warp3 on 13 January 2015 at 12:43pm

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4599 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 29 of 47
18 January 2015 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the feedback, Warp3. It's good to know these shows are long-running. And
thanks a bunch for pointing out the specific episodes for the French ones :D I'm so
interested in seeing how this will play out. It's always interesting when there's a
language involved. The polygraph test was pretty hilarious. The first set of girls
(Nana x Karen) was really funny, but Juri x Sumire was almost as you were watching a
cat fight between two girls. It WAS funny, just, so typical :D

So AKBINGO! gets better? Wow, now I want to see how it was starting out. I was trying
it out, and while I had that initial turn-off because of the idol thing, the episode
itself was pretty entertaining and addictive.

Gaki no Tsukai, though, haven't watched something that made me laugh this much in a
while. I think what I like about it is that the five of them are just so spontaneous,
even though the games themselves are planned out by the production team. Some of the
things they say are so unexpected XD. I wish I could track down the earlier episodes.
I guess I'll make do with I can find on Youtube until I find some other option.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5337 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 30 of 47
19 January 2015 at 3:02am | IP Logged 
To clarify the "AKBINGO! gets better part" that was in reference to the earliest episodes
I've seen (early 2008) vs the latest (early 2010). I have no idea what lies between the
latest episode I've watched and the episode you watched. In fact of the 4 names you
mentioned, Sumire is the only name I even recognize as having appeared on the
episodes I've watched thus far. It's likely the other three either weren't rotated into the
series yet (as AKB48 has quite a member count and it grew over time) or they may not
have even been members yet during the episodes I've watched.

I too expected a far different experience when I first watched it, but got almost
immediately hooked on the series. In fact back when I acquired the first 20 episode pack
I had, it was back before I had even restarted Japanese, so it was more of a "why not"
download. I watched the first show just to see what it was like, but didn't really expect
much from it. Within a few days I had watched all 20 episodes, was starting back
through them again, and was actively searching for more episodes.

Normally when I've watched Korean shows that are linked to a specific idol group, it's
because I'm already into that group. This one was the other way around, though. I'd
heard of AKB48 and had come across a couple of the songs when I was studying
Japanese the first time, but wasn't particularly interested in the group. Part of the
reason I wasn't interested in them was because one of the albums I came across was
definitely not my taste. Then I later found out (by watching the show) that the songs I
didn't like were actually by a subgroup. As it turned out, I just disliked songs from that
one subgroup, not the group as a whole or their other subgroups. So basically the show
got me interested in the group rather than the other way around.

I enjoy Gaki no Tsukai as well, but in a different way than AKBINGO!. It's also interesting
to see that at least a couple of the games I've seen on AKBINGO! seem to be tamed
down versions of games from Gaki no Tsukai. The biggest example is the "butt" game (I
can't really think of any other way to describe it) from the 2008.02.21 and 2008.02.28
episodes of AKBINGO! featuring Kurochan. I've seen a very similar (but much less tame)
version of this on Gaki no Tsukai several times, though it tends to take the form of a quiz
game on Gaki no Tsukai whereas it was more of a "bravery test" on AKBINGO!.

While on the topic of "tameness", I will also note that the AKBINGO! episodes seem to
be more tame in general than it was under the earlier two names. I suspect this is
partly due to the time slot moving earlier over time. Also Takada Junji is in the earlier
episodes and gives off a much creepier "dirty old man" vibe than anyone from the later
series does. Sure Ijirii Okada is there for batsu games playing the typical "pervert" role
(even in later episodes), but it comes off as somewhat humorous when he does it vs. just
disturbing when Takada Junji does.

Edited by Warp3 on 24 January 2015 at 3:05pm

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4599 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 31 of 47
24 January 2015 at 6:05am | IP Logged 
@Warp3: That was very comprehensive, thanks! Now I'm definitely interested in seeing the earlier episodes, as it seems that a lot
has evolved over time.

Musically speaking, I've never been much of a fan of pop music. Sure, there were some pretty good songs, but no album as a whole, and
no specific artist group has been able to really hold my attention over time. If it doesn't get my interest to the point of listening
to it on repeat and voraciously watching MVs, to me it would be going the way of the dinosaurs. I'm a big fan of the different genres
of rock, though. While yes, there's no catchy dancing as you would see with pop singers, the vocals are pretty powerful and the songs
either extremely moving or really full of energy. Of course, there's the bad as in everything, but I'm overall more of a rock person.
Many pop songs ARE pretty good, however, just not so much my taste. I don't know why I'm not so averse to Jpop, maybe because I'm so
passionate about the culture, I don't know. I got to admit, one of the biggest reasons I might watch a pop MV is the amazing dancing
and the cool guys :) So yeah, variety shows hosted by pop idols are only interesting to me if I've already sampled a bit of there
music. I never really liked AKB48 (saw a few cringe-inducing MVs and never looked back) but watching them on AKBINGO! was sort of nice
because you get to see them as people rather than dancers and singers in an MV. That said, I don't think I'll be watching that much of
their MVs, for two reasons. The first one is the filming. I honestly hate to admit it, but it's pretty bad. I don't understand it.
Japanese TV is so amazing, and they CAN AND DO make excellent productions. If you watch the MVs of ONE OK ROCK, for instant, you'll
know what I mean. And films like Rurouni Kenshin, dramas, etc. are done incredibly well. So I'm really stumped as to why Jpop MVs are
so lackluster compared to Kpop, for instance. The second reason is, the dancing is underwhelming. It feels like they move their hands
a lot more than their bodies, and to me the sign of good dancing ability is how fluid you are in your body movements as a whole.
Excuse me while I geek out on you, I love dancing :) It may be that the choreography is not very well executed, or the idols
themselves are not so well trained. I'm not sure. That said, I don't want to generalize. I love Japanese music, and listening to
Japanese lyrics is thrilling. And there are some good bands out there. For instance, check out this
dance intro for E-girls. These girls REALLY know how to dance! Not all of them
are that good, but most of them are, and they're miles ahead of AKB48. I especially liked Sayaka's and Mio's dancing. Their singing,
some I liked, like Gomennasai, others, not so much. Like I said, I'm not a huge pop fan. It's just that Korean pop seems somewhat,
more polished? Produced better? I'm not sure.

So while I was watching E-girls, one thing led to another, and then I saw this,
this, and this.

Wow. At least now I know for sure that I'm starting Korean soon :D

Edited by Woodsei on 24 January 2015 at 6:08am

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5451 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 32 of 47
24 January 2015 at 12:07pm | IP Logged 
I'll just say that Perfume is really the only good idol group in Japan. Most of the music
I like from Japan is a) older (from the 90s and early 00s) and b) from any genre that's
not pop.

This discussion contains 47 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version