Joined 6249 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 9 of 79
05 May 2008 at 1:20pm | IP Logged 
Garaidh wrote:
reineke wrote:
charlmartell wrote:
Wanted to delete because inconsequential, but apparently "delete" is not an option.

Kinda want to delete before I even post. Krebs was married to a woman who called him "Mein Krebschen" which would assume happily.

Perhaps you might have taken the time to read my post in full before wanting to delete it.

Katrin Amunts studied the brain of Emil Krebs and discovered an area of his brain was organised differentely to monoglot men
Loraine Obler has suggested a link with the Geschwind-Galaburda cluster, which shows a high coincidence of left-handedness, homosexuality, auto-immune disorders, learning disorders and talents in art, mathematics and, possibly, languages

Therefore no-one was suggesting Krebs was gay.

We can delete only our own posts and your reaction is sort of the reason why I wrote that I wanted to delete mine/basically not post at all. If you post "Gay and a polygot,?" suggest a propensity towards homosexuality and throw in Krebs to boot, it's easy to make the wrong conclusion. The Wikipedia article you copied and pasted from is about multilingualism and homosexuality is briefly mentioned along with auto-immune disorders, learning disorders and talents etc. Your main theme is homosexuality.
1 person has voted this message useful

bushwick
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 6046 days ago

407 posts - 443 votes 
Speaks: German, Croatian*, English, Dutch
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 10 of 79
05 May 2008 at 1:37pm | IP Logged 
stop arguing about the syntax and misconceptions.
the fact that he mentioned homosexuality is solely because its an interesting one, and out of personal experience.

bushwick
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 6046 days ago

407 posts - 443 votes 
Speaks: German, Croatian*, English, Dutch
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 12 of 79
05 May 2008 at 7:13pm | IP Logged 
i suppose a conclusion in this discussion is pretty much impossible; it should be based on facts, and not personal opinions, which are, in this case, completely relevant.

only some scientific study, survey, or something of its kind that could show us real numbers could help. however, i don't see a point in classifying such things, but to each his own.

i don't know how many famous polyglots were homosexual, but obviously a lot were/are.
fact is, so many great minds have (and still are) been homosexual that quite likely there could be a correlation.

strange that there is still homophobia left in the world, being utterly unjustifiable, and seemingly, there is some on this forum.

but oh well.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Walshy
Triglot
Australia
Joined 6744 days ago

335 posts - 365 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German

Message 13 of 79
06 May 2008 at 3:29am | IP Logged 
My uncle is gay and he's the only other person in my family who can speak another language. He speaks Japanese fluently, and a bit of Korean.

I always thought it was because homosexuals, often treated with disdain by society, grow to accept other people and cultures more readily than most, but I guess that legitimate differences in the brain is a good explanation.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6241 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 14 of 79
09 May 2008 at 7:28am | IP Logged 
Marc Frisch wrote:
Volte wrote:
Prof. Arguelles has some interest in mathematics.

Where did you get that idea from? When I told him I was a mathematician, he asked if I could think in numbers (which is not a stupid question for a layman but shows clearly that he doesn't know anything about maths).

I also get the impression that he isn't particularly aware of modern math at a university level. I don't mean to say that he's at the level of even an undergrad in math, much less a researcher. However, a couple of posts suggest that he appreciates what he knows of mathematics, and considers it a valuable form of balance for those interested in language.

Specifically:
My ideal of a balanced education centers around building an encyclopedic mind. My own education has been lopsided in favor of the humanities, but I also strive to have a basic knowledge of what in my old-fashioned way I think of as �natural history� in all its branches, as well as of mathematics.

He also mentions it as part of his ideal academy:
8. Logical training by means of mathematics, music theory, natural philosophy…

By 'has interest', I meant "is a member of the general population who is not math-phobic, and appears to have a somewhat positive view towards it", not the academic sense of "is a person who actively does research in this area".

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6241 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 15 of 79
09 May 2008 at 10:45am | IP Logged 
Garaidh wrote:

'The neuroscientist Katrin Amunts studied the brain of Emil Krebs and determined that the area of Krebs' brain responsible for language—Broca's area—was organized differently than in monolingual men. On the other hand, the neurolinguist Loraine Obler has suggested a link with the Geschwind-Galaburda cluster, which shows a high coincidence of left-handedness, homosexuality, auto-immune disorders, learning disorders and talents in art, mathematics and, possibly, languages.'

It would be quite interesting if there were some rigorous studies showing how highly correlated all of these things are. I'd expect small sample sizes to be a problem with polyglots, though.

It's previously been discussed on this forum whether left-handers have an advantage with language learning. That didn't come to any particular conclusion, but there is some fairly interesting evidence that left-handers have significant brain differences.

Some examples:
The incidence of atypical language lateralization in normal left-handed and ambidextrous subjects is higher than in normal right-handed subjects (22% vs 4-6%).

Tests conducted by Alan Searleman from St Lawrence University in New York found there were more left-handed people with IQs over 140 than right-handed people. The paper itself doesn't appear to be online.

Left-handedness is also correlated positively with homosexuality. I wonder how much of a correlation between homosexuality and polyglottery there would be, adjusting for handedness.

It's a bit of a tangent, but hyperthymestic syndrome (remembering everything) apparently exists, and 4 of the 5 people who have it are left-handed.

brozman
Bilingual Tetraglot
Groupie
Spain
Joined 5858 days ago

87 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*, English, Japanese
Studies: Russian, Indonesian

Message 16 of 79
12 May 2008 at 6:15am | IP Logged 
I study languages at university. The 80-90% of my classmates are girls. There are very few boys, and most of them are gay. I wonder why I love languages that much, maybe I'm gay and I don't know it yet! My girlfriend is really afraid I will start feeling attracted for my male classmates, but I believe it's not going to happen.

Edited by brozman on 12 May 2008 at 6:21am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 79 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version