79 messages over 10 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 ... 6 ... 9 10 Next >>
Maximus
United Kingdom
Joined 6551 days ago

417 posts - 427 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Thai

Message 41 of 79
24 May 2008 at 4:55pm | IP Logged 
"Basically this means that if all of a sudden you start practicing sex with your own gender that won't really improve your language skills but you can give it a try because it is fun anyway :)"

I would rather not try anything. I would never try same-sex relationships, unless I was a girl of course! I never suspected that just going to a gay brothel would help in my quest towards polyglottery, I actually think that continuing to concentrate my focus on females is a better option because if I manage to marry a girl of the country of my target language, I can obtain a visa and immerse myself in the language for a long period of time. I always thought to myself being a mormon would be good for language learning, if I could get a wife of the country of every language which interests me, I could be continuously immersed in the languages I learn, but then again would be a little immoral wouldn't it?

My brother is left-handed. He is not only rather homophobic, he is actually much worse at languages than I. I not only know more languages than him, I also know more difficult languages than what he has studied. He does however have a skill in mathematics. He in fact has arrived to hate foreign languages, despite his left-handedness. However, I hope to encourage him somehow when he begins Spanish next academic year.

Edited by Maximus on 24 May 2008 at 4:56pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Yaghz
United States
Joined 6437 days ago

36 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 42 of 79
27 May 2008 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
I've come across plenty of homosexual polyglots.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Eduard
Decaglot
Norway
Joined 5827 days ago

166 posts - 170 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Dutch*, NorwegianC1, Swedish, Danish, English, German, ItalianB1, Spanish, Serbo-Croatian, French
Studies: Portuguese

Message 43 of 79
01 June 2008 at 6:49am | IP Logged 
Interesting question indeed. I have been giving this some thoughts for quite a while. In my earlier years as a student (not a language student), I worked at a call centre where we were assisting customers in how to program electronical appliances like remote controls etc, in many European languages. At work we had a considerable number of women and also some gay people (though not that many). Since this was a job location in the Netherlands, one can assume that most gay people had actually come out of the closet, especially taking into account that it is a progressive work place with many young people.

But when taking a closer look, most people working there didn't learn languages 'for fun', and I can't really say that there were so many gay people working there either. And if there would be, I'd rather think that it would be because of the type of work: service-minded, patient, cooperative etc. Btw, if gayness and being a polyglot were strongly collerated, I'd be as gay as Siegfried and Roy, together!, yet I'm not :D. Instead, I (more than once) used my lingual capacities to conquer nice artefacts of the opposite sex.

Alvinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 6036 days ago

828 posts - 832 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish

Message 44 of 79
02 June 2008 at 7:39pm | IP Logged 
"Instead, I (more than once) used my lingual capacities to conquer nice artefacts of the opposite sex."

....Me too, dude, me too.....By studying any language, I don't only aim at increasing my knowledge about the world....at least, most of girls here in Brazil treasure it.....until they realise I'm not rolling in money these days!

Edited by Alvinho on 02 June 2008 at 8:12pm

Yaghz
United States
Joined 6437 days ago

36 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 45 of 79
03 June 2008 at 11:11am | IP Logged 
hmmm, is anybody willing to try it? We can call it the "Another Gay polyglot challenge" !

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5836 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 46 of 79
03 June 2008 at 11:36am | IP Logged 
Eduard wrote:
But when taking a closer look, most people working there didn't learn languages 'for fun', and I can't really say that there were so many gay people working there either. And if there would be, I'd rather think that it would be because of the type of work: service-minded, patient, cooperative etc.

Heh, funny. I am homosexual but neither patient nor cooperative. In actuality I am quite tactless (or at least people tend to say so.)

You seem to believe that homosexuality invariably produces mild individuals suited for working in call centers. I find this view rather simplistic. Actually I find it plain stupid but "simplistic" would be the politically correct term :).

If there is a correlation between sexual orientation and linguistic ability, I can assure you it is not because of any behavioral stereotypes that you are inclined to believe in ;p.

Edited by Sennin on 03 June 2008 at 11:51am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Eduard
Decaglot
Norway
Joined 5827 days ago

166 posts - 170 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Dutch*, NorwegianC1, Swedish, Danish, English, German, ItalianB1, Spanish, Serbo-Croatian, French
Studies: Portuguese

Message 47 of 79
03 June 2008 at 12:34pm | IP Logged 
Hehe, I was more or less expecting someone pointing this out to me ;-)

This fairly loose and not so very tactful 'conclusion' stems not really from prejudices I held on forehand, and I can honestly say that I appreciate people for many things (sexuality doesn't enter into this). It just popped into my head as I thought of male flight attendants and hotel receptionists...

By the way, one of the gay guys at that place where I worked is a school example of "neither patient nor cooperative" and he was quite harsh to customers on the phone. I think he worked there for only a short time.

Being the (future) academic that I am, I do know that single, or even multiple, anecdotes are no valid base for making assumptions like I did above. Did I mention I watch the European Song Contest every year? :-D

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5836 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 48 of 79
03 June 2008 at 1:31pm | IP Logged 
I forgive you then! ;). But this whole thread is seriously getting on my nerves and it's quite pointless. Or what's the point really?

Maybe people are secretly interested in gay dating :). So if you ask some dude "How many languages do you speak?" and he responds "10" then your next enquiry can safely be something like this:

"Oh that's so cool, you are a polyglot! Are you also gay by any chances?"

And voilĂ ! You are now a couple! ^_^

Or maybe it is just a quest for knowledge. Just like the astronomers in Pratchett's "The Colour of the Magic", who at all costs were determined to answer the vital question of the sex of the great turtle. I will complain no more if this is the true motivation ;p.

Edited by Sennin on 03 June 2008 at 1:59pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 79 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version