aka a.ardaschira, Athena, Michael Thomas
United States
Joined 6426 days ago

382 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 49 of 79
07 June 2008 at 4:50pm | IP Logged 
I don't see how being a homo would confer any added ability in language learning or any other area of endeavor than being a member of any other group. They make up about 2% of the population. So what percentage of polyglots do they account for? What does who you choose to sleep with have anything to do with anything? This is kind of a useless thread similar to the one about whether men or women have more aptitude in language learning.

Edited by Cage on 07 June 2008 at 4:52pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Maximus
United Kingdom
Joined 6551 days ago

417 posts - 427 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Thai

Message 50 of 79
08 June 2008 at 6:38pm | IP Logged 
Cage wrote:
I don't see how being a homo would confer any added ability in language learning or any other area of endeavor than being a member of any other group. They make up about 2% of the population. So what percentage of polyglots do they account for? What does who you choose to sleep with have anything to do with anything? This is kind of a useless thread similar to the one about whether men or women have more aptitude in language learning.

I second that. As for the thread trying to compare aptitude in language between males and females, I thought that was just silly because without distinction of gender we are all genetically programed to acquire language for the purpose of survival. It is an evolutionary trait.

And those "I know loads of gay polyglots" comments are also pointless as there too are masses of heterosexual polyglots who have wives and kids, yet people fail to acknowledge them just because these like to attribute everything they are good at to being homosexual. Now days I cannot understand why homosexuals always try to flaunt their sexuality, draw attention to it, make everyone one know about it, change their gestures and voice and just play into those very stereotypes, the very ones which mock homosexuals on TV for example. They alienate themselves if you ask me. I don't understand why those individuals, dispite their differences pertaining to sexuality, cannot just act normal in public instead of consciously distancing themselves from everyone else. This thread just reminds me of the behaviour of certain individuals who force their lifestyle upon others and then claim to be superior while everyone is just "ignorant". Believe me, I do know some homosexuals and some sympathizers like this.

My comments to this thread are not driven by any hatred towards those with differing lifestyles at all. I don't consider myself to be against homosexuals not see myself having the right to condemn them. I even maintained friendship with an homoosexual friend for almost a year until he started to act like those stereotypes (the one in which heterosexual men fear gay men thinking that all gays like and thus are threatening to all guys) and would stop trying to "advance our friendship to something more". Then I realized that our friendship had to stop (not because he was homosexual, but because he started to act like those "exaggerated" homosexuals which cease to act normally). This shows that there is a distinction between "homohatred" (which is just hatred against homosexuals just for being homosexuals, normally an excuse for the typical thug like people of society to pick on others just like they find other excuses with others) and "homophobia" (fear of homosexuality, not necessarily hatred, even rational fear depending on the circumstances). I am not the first category because I have formed friendships with them as explained already (when the individual was behaving normally), but from time to time, depending on situational factors, I haqve momentarily felt the feeling of the second category, (when they start exaggerating their behaviour and push it all in your face). For example, there is a gay guy who I can talk to normally (because he just acts normal, manly, like any other guy) whilst there is another who acts extremely feminine and forces his homosexuality in your face every minute he gets the chance to do so. With the second guy, I always find difficulties intering with him as his exaggeration of behaviour just freeks me out a little. Another example, when speaking with my buddy's friend on several occasions, Hanako, a transsexual lady who just seems like a regular female, extremely feminine to the extent that I didn't even know until I was told, I didn't have any problems at all. However, when I was studying in Spain, my hostmother and myself ecountered ourselves in the street with Rocío. My hostmother whispered "it's a man". I had no time to prepare for the encounter and was just startled almost to the point of not being able to talk. Why was I so startled? Because unlike the other transsexual I know, Rocío just looked like a man with plastic boobies glued onto his chest. The behaviour was so manly, didn't even know how to act like a female. Whilst listening to his/her deep voice and fearing how I should act, how to address this person, the lack of normality and the exaggeration and artificiality in the person's behaviour was the cause of my fear. So my point is, I am not fueled by hatred towards sexually different individuals, I get freeked out (dependent upon situational factors) when people unnaturally exaggerate, act exaggeratedly differently while failing to intergrate as a result and when they force their sexuality upon me. This point of force ties in to those supremacists who attribute all success and superiority to homosexuality and force that upon everyone else. Similar to this thread, there "in ya face" attitude and boasts of superiority is often an unfounded claim without real evidence nor logic, yet is still forced upon everyone by those supremacists. Unless again, theads like this are just another example of attention seeking. By this I refer to the fact that certain indivual just try to get attention from other just forcing their sexuality upon everyone else. Jeez, I don't yell to everyone that I am heterosexual every five minutes.

2 persons have voted this message useful

seldnar
United States
Joined 6934 days ago

189 posts - 287 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, French, Greek

Message 51 of 79
09 June 2008 at 1:09am | IP Logged 
I won't follow this thread any longer. What started out as a "sighting"/citing of an article that said certain people, often identified by their sexual preference, may show an aptitude for languages has become a shrill airing of fears and insecurities.

I believe the original poster thought it would make a good discussion point--much the same as when people on this board have wanted to discuss if gender makes a difference,or if growing up in certain locales promotes polyglottery. Such questions may be fun to debate but ultimately they are pointless because there are so many other variables that affect a person.

I never thought it would strike such a dissonant chord with people.

I do not recall anyone asserting the superiority of homosexuals; I do not recall the article saying the majority of homosexuals are polyglots. It merely hypothesized that homosexuals share some biological traits that are also shared by multilingual people. Nobody has yet suggested that because of this all polyglots are homosexual or bisexual!

But it has brought out an unpleasant side of people; some members use terms that are known to be distasteful in polite society yet hide behind pedantry while defending them. Some members are so obsessed with "normalcy" and "manliness" that one doesn't even know how to respond to such comments.

I appear to live in a different world than these posters. I don't know anyone who forces their sexuality on me--wouldn't that be rape? I don't know anyone who says one group of people are superior to another--unless you count distant relatives of my step-grandfather, but we all have relatives we wish we didn't have. I know heterosexual men who are feminine and homosexual men who are hypermasculine. I don't care. What matters to me is the quality of the person, not behavioral quirks.

And, Maximus, pretty much anyone who wears a wedding ring does indeed proclaim to everyone else that he/she is heterosexual.

Thank you for reading. I will not be returning to this thread again.

Edited by seldnar on 09 June 2008 at 1:10am

5 persons have voted this message useful

Maximus
United Kingdom
Joined 6551 days ago

417 posts - 427 votes 

Message 52 of 79
09 June 2008 at 3:59am | IP Logged 
seldnar wrote:
I won't follow this thread any longer. What started out as a "sighting"/citing of an article that said certain people, often identified by their sexual preference, may show an aptitude for languages has become a shrill airing of fears and insecurities.

Always playing the fears and insecurities card! I don't know exactly in which way you mean. Is it you think that those who have supposedly loaded this thread with negativity are insecure about their own sexuality and consequently fear even the topic relating to sexuality? If so, this card is always played. I think that it is always an immature comment, the idea that people who disagree with the thread are really stuck in the closet! That idea is just silly isn't it! In the events I described, my fear wasn't because I dount my own sexual preferences, it was because I was placed in a novel situation in which I didn't know how to act.

Or maybe you refered to the fears and insecurities in a way that heterosexual language learners fear that homosexuals have an upperhand, is this what you wanted to express? I don't have any insecurity in my own language skills as I realize that if I become obsessed with the languages like I do I will get results. Compared to my peers, I think I have learned language much more rapidly so I don't have sentiments of fear. The only insecurities I have about my own language learning is environment. When I am not surrounded by native speakers I become agitated. Immersion is awesome.

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5836 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 53 of 79
09 June 2008 at 6:22am | IP Logged 
Maximus wrote:
As for the thread trying to compare aptitude in language between males and females, I thought that was just silly because without distinction of gender we are all genetically programed to acquire language for the purpose of survival. It is an evolutionary trait.

Ok, that's rather uncertain. It is my observation that females are more avid language learners but not because they excel at it - they are just generally more willing to focus on languages.

It is somewhat the same with cooking and art. There is a greater number of women that can cook and paint, but only in the mediocrity of those skills. The real masters are usually, well.. male :> This is my, dare I say, honest sexist opinion.

Edited by Sennin on 09 June 2008 at 6:38am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Maximus
United Kingdom
Joined 6551 days ago

417 posts - 427 votes 

Message 54 of 79
09 June 2008 at 9:07am | IP Logged 
Sennin wrote:
Maximus wrote:
As for the thread trying to compare aptitude in language between males and females, I thought that was just silly because without distinction of gender we are all genetically programed to acquire language for the purpose of survival. It is an evolutionary trait.

Ok, that's rather uncertain. It is my observation that females are more avid language learners but not because they excel at it - they are just generally more willing to focus on languages.

It is somewhat the same with cooking and art. There is a greater number of women that can cook and paint, but only in the mediocrity of those skills. The real masters are usually, well.. male :> This is my, dare I say, honest sexist opinion.

OK, now this thread has just reached the utmost extremity of silliness. Now taking about cooking skills in an attempt to give evidence in the debate of whether homosexuals have better linguistic abilities! This evidence doesn't seem to be based on facts at all. It is just based on wishful thinking by those who again want to accredit all success to homosexuality. Those who are so into their gay pride movements that they have became extremists. And we all know that extremist will use any unfounded evidence for their debates.

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5836 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 55 of 79
09 June 2008 at 9:10am | IP Logged 
I am sorry, it just kind of popped up in my mind ^_^. If the mods decide to lock the whole thing I will be happy anyway.

Besides, cooking and language skills are most definitely related. Honestly, I am not inventing it right now. This was written on the last page of a very trustworthy newspaper that I buy every morning and I'm telling you, they know everything.

Edited by Sennin on 09 June 2008 at 9:32am

Cage
Diglot
aka a.ardaschira, Athena, Michael Thomas
United States
Joined 6426 days ago

382 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 56 of 79
09 June 2008 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
This trustworthy newspaper you speak of...it would not be the National Enquirer would it per chance? Newspapers will print anything to sell papers. To claim that a newspaper knows everything is ludicrous.

This discussion contains 79 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version