Language Learning Forum : Cultural Experiences in Foreign Languages Post Reply
66 messages over 9 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 1 ... 8 9 Next >>
Eduard
Decaglot
Norway
Joined 5835 days ago

166 posts - 170 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Dutch*, NorwegianC1, Swedish, Danish, English, German, ItalianB1, Spanish, Serbo-Croatian, French
Studies: Portuguese

Message 2 of 66
21 July 2008 at 12:42pm | IP Logged 
Hi puccahaha, welcome to the forum!
I'm from the Netherlands. A very flat country, half man-made and known for its political and personal tolerance during the last 4 centuries or so. The Dutch make excellent cheese and less (but not bad) good beer. It has windmills, clogs and softdrugs for tourists and it is fairly tidy. It has a fairly good infrastructure and many people use bicycles to get around.

Now I'm living in Norway. It's not flat at all. The Norwegians aren't as good at making cheese but they do try. Less people use the bicycle, but in the end they will, when oil prices will skyrocket. No windmills, few clogs, little softdrugs, but instead a lot of beautiful fjords and expensive alcohol. That's one of the reasons why I brew my own pot of reasonably well-tasting beer :). Oh, I forgot, the weather is fairly crappy in both nations, though there are exceptions. We'll be getting sun and 29°C this week, so you won't find me too much on this forum for a short while ;).
1 person has voted this message useful

qklilx
United States
Joined 5996 days ago

459 posts - 477 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 66
21 July 2008 at 2:17pm | IP Logged 
Hi I live in America! It's full of states and landmarks and liberals! It also has Hawaii (where I live), LA, and New york City, a place where everyone wants to go at some point in their life. We have a pretty short history, so I guess you could call us a baby nation. A baby with lots of weapons, which might explain why we use them haphazardly. Never give a child a gun or let him research how to make them!

sajro
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5806 days ago

129 posts - 131 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 5 of 66
22 July 2008 at 1:04pm | IP Logged 
qklilx wrote:
Hi I live in America! It's full of states and landmarks and liberals! It also has Hawaii (where I live), LA, and New york City, a place where everyone wants to go at some point in their life. We have a pretty short history, so I guess you could call us a baby nation. A baby with lots of weapons, which might explain why we use them haphazardly. Never give a child a gun or let him research how to make them!

That second sentence sums up the whole country, qklilx.

To add on, we have a terrible record for language learning, a lot of economic issues, and the collective IQ of everyone in our government (including state, local, etc.) is slightly less than that of a retarded peanut butter sandwich (with the crusts cut off!).

Gilgamesh
Tetraglot
England
Joined 6052 days ago

452 posts - 468 votes 
14 sounds
Speaks: Dutch, English, German, French
Studies: Polish

Message 6 of 66
22 July 2008 at 1:08pm | IP Logged 
Eduard wrote:
No windmills, few clogs, little softdrugs, but instead a lot of beautiful fjords and expensive alcohol.

No dogs? I'm going there right now!

Eduard
Decaglot
Norway
Joined 5835 days ago

166 posts - 170 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Dutch*, NorwegianC1, Swedish, Danish, English, German, ItalianB1, Spanish, Serbo-Croatian, French
Studies: Portuguese

Message 7 of 66
22 July 2008 at 1:37pm | IP Logged 
Quite a lot less dogs than in the Netherlands! And the few dogs that do live in Norway are properly looked after. Even the toughest tatooed ape-like body builder with equally tough dog of doubtful breed will pick up the dog crap with a small plastic bag and throw it into the litter bin. Unlike the Netherlands, where you without a doubt will end up with dog poo on your shoes if you don't watch out like Sherlock Holmes! We got a lot of elk/moose though, and they kill more people than all bears and wolves in Norway together do (car accidents).

brozman
Bilingual Tetraglot
Groupie
Spain
Joined 5866 days ago

87 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*, English, Japanese
Studies: Russian, Indonesian

Message 8 of 66
22 July 2008 at 2:26pm | IP Logged 
Hello puccahaha!

My country is called Catalonia. Unfortunately, it is not an independent country: it's a part of Spain. Culturally, Spain and Catalonia are more or less as different as Spain and Italy or Portugal. We've got our own language, called Catalan, which, like Spanish, Romanian or Italian, comes from Latin. A good thing of being part of Spain is that here people speak both Spanish and Catalan language, so it is a bilingual country.

We've got lot's of beautiful landscapes: high mountains (the Pyrenees), beautiful beaches (by the Mediterranean seas) and the city of Barcelona, known for its beautifull Modernist style buildings (see Sagrada Família, Casa Batlló or Parc Güell), etc.

We've got a very nice weather, not too cold in winter, not too hot in summer, an very sunny. However, this means that sometimes we don't have very much water and we have to be very careful when we use it.

A very nice (and scary, for me!) tradition is Castellers, human towers.

We produce good wine, good cava (Catalan champagne), fuet, etc.

And I don't know what else I can tell you!

Edited by brozman on 22 July 2008 at 2:28pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 66 messages over 9 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version