China
Joined 5848 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Tagalog
Studies: Ancient Greek, Japanese

Message 129 of 181
15 December 2009 at 1:18pm | IP Logged 
Did 1138 reps today. This is, far and away, a record according the ANKI stats. This is what happens when you miss 1.5 days on 50 word a day routine folks. Also I was tired.

Half way through HSK Elementary. Some really silly words in here, learners beware.

Edited by irrationale on 15 December 2009 at 1:19pm

1 person has voted this message useful

nerdish
United States
Joined 5313 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes

Message 130 of 181
03 January 2010 at 8:25am | IP Logged 
Hi Irrational,
Your journey has truly been an inspiration to my own learning of the Mandarin language. I'm currently following your initial tactics with the NCPR books. In preparation for the FSI stuff, I was wondering whether you'd be able to share your FSI cards with the phrases/sentences at this juncture. Many thanks and I look forward to more of your postings/musings in the future

Best,
Isaac

pamination
Triglot
United States
Joined 5208 days ago

7 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin

Message 131 of 181
03 February 2010 at 1:38am | IP Logged 
Irrational,

Your blog is amazing. Like nerdish said, you are really an inspiration. Just shows that if you work hard it is possible to achieve fluency in a relatively short period of time by basically just studying at home.

I was just wondering tho how exactly you separated the audio parts to put them into anki from fsi?

and like nerdish said if you were to make your Anki files available that would be amazing!

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5848 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds

Message 132 of 181
05 February 2010 at 8:10am | IP Logged 
Hey,

Thank you all. A quick update, I am nearly at advanced fluency with around 7000 words and 2500 characters (able to produce, unknown how many more I recognize). Of course I still have a long way to go to my goal of being native-like, but I can write, read books and understand through context any unknown words, and most important to me, speak to and understand natives with no problems about nearly any topic.

If there is any interest in a separate thread or guide on how exactly I did this and the philosophy behind it, please PM me or say so here.

About my deck.

I ripped the audio from FSI and NPCR using Audacity, a free program. To put into ANKI is easy, just click inside the card you want it in and press F4. You browse and find the file,etc.

I have just made my sentence deck public. key eb3af7269ce37a79 It contains all sentences from FSI (ALL of them, even example sentences), and nearly all sentences from NPCR 1 to 4 (5 had no key sentences to speak of), plus misc phrases and whatnot. I could not include the audio, and don't plan to for copywrite reasons, sorry. Unless I can find a way to include only the FSI audio. I will keep updates here.

If anyone is interested in my words deck (all FSI, all NPCR, all Pimsleur + levels 1 to 3 of HSK + all from 5000 most common mandarin words) please let me know by PM or post here. I was waiting to complete all HSK, but if there is interest I will post.

Thanks again for the kind words, and good luck!

4 persons have voted this message useful

annette
United States
Joined 5304 days ago

164 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 133 of 181
05 February 2010 at 8:26am | IP Logged 
I think a guide would be very useful for some and I know many on HTLAL would read it.
Personally, I'm always interested in the texts people choose to read as well. Which were
useful at which levels of proficiency? Books, newspapers, short stories, readers,
essays...

And thank you for making your sentences etc available to us. I'm thinking of starting
Anki again soon and I'll definitely take advantage of these resources.

(edited from original ramble)

Edited by annette on 06 February 2010 at 3:34pm

dragonfly
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 6277 days ago

204 posts - 233 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, Mandarin

Message 134 of 181
05 February 2010 at 1:56pm | IP Logged 
It would be very interesting to learn about your experience and methods step by step, such a post would be really useful! Your progress is amazing!
2 persons have voted this message useful

lackinglatin
Triglot
Groupie
United States
randomwritingsetc.blRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5778 days ago

62 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, Modern Hebrew
Studies: Spanish

Message 135 of 181
07 March 2010 at 9:11pm | IP Logged 
I just read this entire thread in one go.

Damn. So that's Chinese, huh?

I need to get my Hebrew down, then. Get it done with. Then we can move onto this.

I sent you a PM; I look forward to our conversation, if you have time.

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5848 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds

Message 136 of 181
17 March 2010 at 6:11am | IP Logged 
I went to China about 1 month ago, had a great time and got some great books. One of which, the High School Chengyu Dictionary, I will memorize every entry to gain a solid chengyu base. Also got some Tang poetry and some novels.

I have received sufficient interest that I will write a guide soon, explaining exactly what I did and when, using what materials. Hopefully it will be more "seachable" and readable than this big thread.

Also, in a few months I will make my deck public, which will be massive and the most comprehensive deck for Mandarin ever. Hopefully someone can organize it better than I have and create something of a system for a learner to go through. Seriously, it will be awesome.

This discussion contains 181 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version