Spain
Joined 5310 days ago

3 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: Spanish*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 153 of 181
12 November 2010 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
Irrational: I am really impressed by your passing HSK 5 in such a short time

I wanted to ask you a question. The FSI books I have available have pinyin, but no characters. Your amazing anki deck has characters. Is there a FSI edition with characters on it?
1 person has voted this message useful

Carolyn1
Afghanistan
Joined 4907 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes

Message 154 of 181
29 November 2010 at 7:23am | IP Logged 
wow you have done such a great job in such a short time!
you really are a role model!
hope i can be like you!
i came across a site called chinese pod or sth like that, i can't remember the url. it's quite useful
and also http://english.cri.cn/08chinese/ i think you may have heard of it
this is a a quiz about chinese grammar, you can check if your grammar is improving or not
1.What is your first language or mother language? ( )

2.How long have you been learning Chinese? ( )

3.Have you taken the HSK test? Which grade have you passed? ( )

4.Do you think Chinese grammar is difficult? ( )
A. Very difficult B. Difficult C. Just so so D. Not difficult E. Very easy

5.Do you like learning Chinese grammar? ( )
A. I always love Chinese grammar B. Sometimes I love Chinese grammar C. Not bad D. Sometimes I don't like Chinese grammar E. I always hate Chinese grammar

6.Are your grammar perfect? ( )
A. Always perfect B. Sometimes good C. Just so so D. Sometimes my grammar sucks E. My grammar is always a nightmare

7.Do you think Chinese grammar and English grammar are similar?
A. A. Very similar B. Similar C. Different D. Very different E. Hard to say

In some languages (like French) the nouns can be divided into female and male nouns. Answer questions No. 8 & 9.
8.Speaking of whether the nouns can be divided into female and male nouns, do you think it's the same in both Chinese and English?
A. Very similar B. Similar C. Different D. Very different E. Hard to say
9.Speaking of whether the nouns can be divided into female and male nouns, do you think it's difficult to learn Chinese nouns?

In English, the same word "do" can be written as "did, will do". Answer questions No. 10 & 11.
10.In this aspect, do you think Chinese grammar and English grammar are similar?
11.Speaking of the tenses of verbs, do you think it's difficult to learn Chinese grammar?

The adverbial adjunct in English is placed behind the verb. Answer questions No. 12 & 13.
12.Do you think the word order in Chinese and English are similar?
13.Speaking of the word order, do you think it's difficult to learn Chinese grammar?

In Chinese, there are measure word and "把" sentence. Answer questions No. 14 & 15.
14.Speaking of the measure word and "把" sentence, do you think Chinese grammar and English grammar are similar?
15.Speaking of the measure word and "把" sentence, do you think it's difficult to learn Chinese grammar?

16.What do you think is the most difficult? From the most difficult to the easiest, place the following choices in order.
A. the nouns can (not) be divided into female and male nouns in Chinese
B. the same word "do" can (not) be written as "did, will do" in different tenses in Chinese
C. adverbial adjunct in English is (not) placed behind the verb in Chinese
D. measure word and "把" sentence in Chinese

17.While learning Chinese grammar, do you think English grammar has influence on your Chinese grammar learning?
A. It has influence B. It doesn't have influence C. Hard to say

18.If English grammar has influence on your Chinese grammar learning, do you think English grammar helps learning Chinese grammar?
A. It helps a lot B. It helps a little C. It's not helpful D. It makes learning more difficult E.Hard to say

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5848 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Tagalog
Studies: Ancient Greek, Japanese

Message 155 of 181
30 November 2010 at 9:35am | IP Logged 
Sorry I haven't been here in awhile. I deeply appreciate all the comments since I last visited, and it is great that I have been able to inspire or motivate people. Thank you all!

chinopinyin wrote:

I wanted to ask you a question. The FSI books I have available have pinyin, but no characters. Your amazing anki deck has characters. Is there a FSI edition with characters on it?

No, there isn't, at least not that I know of. I added all the characters myself. I also have a sentence deck will all FSI sentences that does the same.

Carolyn1 wrote:
hope i can be like you!
i came across a site called chinese pod or sth like that, i can't remember the url. it's quite useful
this is a a quiz about chinese grammar, you can check if your grammar is improving or not

Thanks for your kind words Carolyn :)

However, I'm not quite sure I understand...do you want me to take this quiz?

As I say in my log, I dislike grammar and try to avoid studying it. I didn't study Chinese grammar, and have no educated opinion of it apart from the fact that contrary to some people's beliefs it is very different from English grammar and, starts off easy, but gets harder as you progress.

Edited by irrationale on 30 November 2010 at 9:58am

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5848 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds

Message 156 of 181
30 November 2010 at 9:54am | IP Logged 
I had to post again because I am really moved by the comments here.

I just want to say that I am glad that laying bare in plain terms what I did, and when I did, has revealed that there is no mystery to learning a language, even a difficult language, to advanced level, fast. It all comes down to will power and hard work. I full heatedly agree with others such as Benny the Irish Polyglot, Khatzumoto, Lao Shu, etc that you simply have to "do it", and share with them my opinion of learning languages in school (I was a monoglot until I was 24).

If I haven't still said in plain terms what exactly I did and how I did it, or you have a question, it is better to PM me, since this thread sometimes gets lost for months at a time.

Carolyn1
Afghanistan
Joined 4907 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes

Message 157 of 181
03 December 2010 at 4:51am | IP Logged 
irrationale wrote:
Sorry I haven't been here in awhile. I deeply appreciate all the comments since I last visited, and it is great that I have been able to inspire or motivate people. Thank you all!

chinopinyin wrote:

No, there isn't, at least not that I know of. I added all the characters myself. I also have a sentence deck will all FSI sentences that does the same.

Carolyn1 wrote:
hope i can be like you!

Thanks for your kind words Carolyn :)

However, I'm not quite sure I understand...do you want me to take this quiz?

As I say in my log, I dislike grammar and try to avoid studying it. I didn't study Chinese grammar, and have no educated opinion of it apart from the fact that contrary to some people's beliefs it is very different from English grammar and, starts off easy, but gets harder as you progress.

well i don't understand how you can pass HSK 5 in such a short time without learning grqammar
what do you think is the most difficult part in grammar?
and do you think "han zi" or the written chinese is the most difficult part?
i know lots of people just don't learn "han zi" coz they think it's too difficult
but they say grammar is not so hard to learn
what do you think?

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5848 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds

Message 158 of 181
05 December 2010 at 3:12am | IP Logged 
Carolyn1 wrote:

well i don't understand how you can pass HSK 5 in such a short time without learning grqammar
what do you think is the most difficult part in grammar?
and do you think "han zi" or the written chinese is the most difficult part?
i know lots of people just don't learn "han zi" coz they think it's too difficult
but they say grammar is not so hard to learn
what do you think?

Well, I learned how to make correct sentences fluently, but I didn't learn grammar rules. That is what I mean by not learning grammar. It isn't new and has been done before by other learners here (search for "all japanese all the time" on google). Basically, I focused on reading, listening, then imitating massive amounts of native input through ANKI/tv and conversations, so correct grammar became automatic.

I totally agree. I think that while the grammar does get quite difficult in the advanced levels of the language, the hanzi are overall more difficult and a consistent challenge, ONLY if you want to write them. If you only want to recognize them, it is far less difficult, but still difficult.

For me the hardest part of all was/is vocabulary usage and acquisition (which is related to hanzi).

Carolyn1
Afghanistan
Joined 4907 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes

Message 159 of 181
13 December 2010 at 6:07am | IP Logged 
hi irrationale, i saw that you studies Tagalog, are you currently working on that? do you still learn mandarin?

i found chinese blogs written by learners on a chinese site called qq.com, and i sometimes practice language using qq.com. it's a good website and you can also talk to people using qq.com. it's like yahoo messenger, msn or skype. i recommend you to find chinese language partners there.

Micoh
Diglot
United States
Joined 5539 days ago

13 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 160 of 181
14 January 2011 at 5:28am | IP Logged 
Wow, irrationale, what an inspirational log! It was really impressive to see the progress
that you made throughout all your studies. I just had a few questions for you though.
Seeing as hindsight's always 20/20, I was wondering what you thought the most useful
resources or methodology were for you? Or if you could go back to the beginning, would
you have changed anything?

I'm trying to come up with a good approach for my own studies and it's always good to see
how someone else has already done it!

This discussion contains 181 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version