Joined 5840 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Tagalog
Studies: Ancient Greek, Japanese

Message 9 of 181
29 September 2008 at 3:14am | IP Logged 
Finished lesson 12 without problems.

The main issue now is starting to learn to produce and recognize the Hanzi fluently, which I can clearly tell is going to be a major endeavor. My strategy is this;

I have put all the characters for the 50 or so words I have learned, along with pinyin, into Anki. I need to first memorize all these, and be able to produce them at will.

Second, from now on I will listen to Pimsleur two times a day. One time will be like normal. The second time will be purely for writing production practice. I will input all the new words for that day into Anki. When Pimsleur prompts me to say something I will do so and write it. This includes sentences, everything, until maybe I feel that it can be written with fluency and quickly.

For recognition practice perhaps I will put entire sentences into Anki. This still isn't clear to me at this point, but I really need reading RECOGNITION practice, preferably with the same small characters on the computer. It won't be clear until the point where I reach intermediate level, at which time I think I will buy some type of basic chinese reader, or children's book.

As far as writing goes, I can see that this first period may be a nightmare...maybe. I am retaining the characters I have memorized but writing them and recognizing fluently is a different story.

What a language!

Edited by irrationale on 29 September 2008 at 3:15am

1 person has voted this message useful

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5840 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds

Message 10 of 181
30 September 2008 at 3:41am | IP Logged 
Today I memorized (crammed) about maybe 30 to 40 characters. It wasn't fun...at all. I never want to do that again. My mind is swimming with characters.

At least now I have all the characters for the words that I have learned in Pimsleur memorized, so that when I start again tomarrow, I can learn characters at a normal pace of 5 to 10 a day from now on.

Looking forward to getting back into my ruitine of 1 hour Mandarin and 1 hour Spanish; starting to learn chinese has been a rough take-off.

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5840 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds

Message 11 of 181
08 October 2008 at 5:15am | IP Logged 
Finished Pimsleur 17 and have about 60 to 70 characters in command.

Well Mandarin has calmed down a little bit now that I have memorized the 60 or so characters that I need to express the words I have learned in Pimsluer.

Now that I have these, I am starting on my homebrew ruitine of listing to Pimsluer once, and then again while writing down what I say onto paper with characters. I learn all the characters sheerly by sound, pinyin guessing, and using www.yellowbridge.com. Afterwords, I look in Reading and Writing Chinese for info about the radicals and strokes. I have a practice book that is quickly filling up. I am picking up the radicals and pinyin as I go along and it is getting easier as my mind makes the connections in the chaos.

I do admit thought that this is taking a LOT longer and is harder than I thought it would be (the written chinese mainly, spoken is quite easy to me). I am now spending about 2 hours a day on mandarin. Plus Spanish, this is about 3.5 to 4 hours a day on languages. Sometimes I wonder if I am insane...haha

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5840 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds

Message 12 of 181
09 October 2008 at 8:54am | IP Logged 
Milestone; finally learning some words that use characters I already know!!! Wohoo!

Finished 18, about 80-something characters.
2 persons have voted this message useful

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5840 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds

Message 13 of 181
12 October 2008 at 3:40am | IP Logged 
Lesson 20 finished with some difficulty for whatever reason, I trying to decide whether to repeat it. I think it is because I'm not used to the 多少 ,几个 division. Its funny because the characters I learned this lesson where actually very easy for once.

I am still trying to intuit the meaning of 了 and 的. I assume that 的 is some sort of possive object indicator, but for 了 I really hope Pimsleur allows my intuition to grasp this particle and doesn't make me consult a grammar book.

Somewhere around 90 characters learned.

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5840 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds

Message 14 of 181
15 October 2008 at 6:29am | IP Logged 
Lesson 23 finished. Around 100 characters learned, and under command.

My mind is still at the point where I am thinking of Mandarin in terms of seperate phrases, it it is annoying, because I want to break through to that level and stop feeling like I am just memorizing phrases (FSI talks about this annoying phase). If I remember, the point where Spanish all "came together" in my mind was somewhere in Level 2 of Pimsleur. I wonder if it will be the same or different with Mandarin?

Still memorizing all the characters with the words I learn. I think this system is working great, and I am remembering the all characters without much difficulty now, as my mind has adapted (I think), and it gets easier the more characters you know. A few seem to always give me trouble for some reason, for example 块。 What I am going to start doing now is imputting entire sentences into Anki to give me some very basic sentence reading practice, to get used to reading chinese.

On the spoken side, I spoke to a native speaker a few sentences and words and she said I had great pronunciation, which is good. I have figured out how to make the difficult sounds that vexed me at the beginning, like the "r" in "ren" 人. Only problem now I can hear is that in long sentences I sometimes get a tone wrong, especially if it is a 3 tone, I will make it into a 4 tone. I will work on this.

Also, I have figured out now that 了 is some sort of past particle. Maybe present perfect. I am very curious to see how Mandarin handles time and I can't wait to find out.
2 persons have voted this message useful

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5840 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds

Message 15 of 181
17 October 2008 at 7:02am | IP Logged 
Lesson 24 finished, had to do over again...quite a difficult lesson with many words for a Pimsluer, new grammar intruduced, etc.

A great developement occurred; I found some kind souls who typed short transcriptes of the lessons with hanzi! This saves me an incredible amount of time looking in the dictionary and guessing for pinyin.

I am going to take tomarrow to seriously cram some hanzi, because I added quite a few this time.

Now up to 123 hanzi, based on Anki's hanzi counter.

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5840 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds

Message 16 of 181
18 October 2008 at 6:13am | IP Logged 
Lesson 25 finished, and 143 Hanzi known.

Relatively easy, but I simply have to take a day's break to catch up with my vocab on both Spanish and Mandarin, because right now I am choking on vocab!

This discussion contains 181 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version