Diglot
Joined 6955 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 9 of 34
22 October 2008 at 11:18am | IP Logged 
I would love it if I could devote more time to Slovak and Ukrainian. I'm not working on them enough for my liking. At least part of my dream is being fulfilled with regular study of Estonian and Polish.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cheeky chica
Groupie
England
Joined 5755 days ago

70 posts - 75 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 10 of 34
22 October 2008 at 11:18am | IP Logged 
I'm currently learning Spanish and Japanese, for practical reasons.

I'd love to learn Russian, for no reason whatsoever. I heard it being spoken and it sounds really beautiful. But I'm not learning it because I have no use for it. I choose languages by how useful they are to me.

I would also love to learn Pidaha (I know I spelt that wrong but that's how it's pronounced) because, after reading several articles on it's uniqueness, it sounds fascinating. But again, it only has about 300 speakers.... a language needs to be useful for me to conjure lasting motivation.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6502 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 34
22 October 2008 at 4:56pm | IP Logged 
I don't want to have dream languages. I am busy fulfilling my plan which is to learn the Germanic, Romance, Greek and Slavic languages, period. If I ever achieve that I may ask myself whether I could add a few more, but right now it would just be foolish for me to walk around whining about not having time og opportunity to learn Chinese or Georgian or Navaho or whatever.

starlight
New Zealand
Joined 5705 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 12 of 34
23 October 2008 at 1:54am | IP Logged 
Well I;m learning Spanish because it's such a widely spoken language, but i enjoy it heaps :P
And I've just started Japanese because I'm crazy about Japanese music and the culture there and I get on so well with the Japanese exchange students :P They make me want to speak their language.
Spanish speaking countries and Japan are countries I would consider living in.

My dream languages would have to be Korean....because I LOVE Korean dramas >_< hehehe and I've done years of Taekwon-do which is from Korea and has caused me to become interested in the country.
Also, Chinese Mandarin. Because my ultimate passion is Wushu (Chinese martial arts). When my coach says commands in Mandarin it just sounds awesome. I may consider training there when I am a bit older.

ChiaBrain
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5607 days ago

402 posts - 512 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*
Studies: Portuguese, Italian, French
Studies: German

Message 13 of 34
05 January 2009 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
John Smith wrote:

I would like to know what languages you are currently studying and compare these to
languages you would love to learn if this was a perfect world. Please include a
statement about why you are not learning your dream language.

I am learning German at the moment but would love to learn Greek. The reason I keep
putting Greek off is that it doesn't have a lot of native speakers so it isn't as
useful as German.

Focusing on Italian with the idea of doing French and/or Brazilian Portuguese as these
are all related to Spanish and would fit in with my travel plans.

Dream Languages
Latin and Greek to be able to read classics in their native tongues
I figure I will study these later in life after I've traveled more I have more time.

Hindi: Theres so much to love about Indian culture. The music coming out of
there makes me feel so good as does practicing Hatha Yoga (which I really need to get
back into if you'll pardon the pun). Incredibly flavorful food as well. Theres
also many Indians working in my field which is how I was initially exposed to the
culture. Sadly there are none where I work now. Although it is far different from
Germanic and Latin languages if I'm not mistaken its in the Indo of "Indo-European" so
hopefully not terribly difficult. I also like the way it sounds. It does not seem to
have any harsh consonants and has a rather cute sound to my Western ear. While it
sounds strange, strange is good as I'm somewhat of a neophile.

Why don't I study Hindi? With Italian, Brazilian Portuguese, French and German on the
menu I don't want to "bite more off than I can chew". And I figure I might want to
stick to easier stuff for now till I get some momentum. I am seriously considering
promoting Hindi though. I'd certainly like to dabble in it. Is there something like a
Michel Thomas for Hindi?

Edited by ChiaBrain on 06 January 2009 at 12:51am

Lindsay19
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5620 days ago

183 posts - 214 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC1
Studies: Swedish, Faroese, Icelandic

Message 14 of 34
06 January 2009 at 12:30am | IP Logged 
I'd love to dive into Finnish, but since I plan on attending school in Germany, I need to focus on my fluency in German first.

ThisIsGina
Groupie
United Kingdom
languageblogbygina.w
Joined 5117 days ago

56 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Romanian, Catalan, Greek, German, French

Message 15 of 34
07 August 2010 at 2:41pm | IP Logged 
I'm learning Spanish and Romanian, then I'm learning Portuguese.

Languages I would like to learn in future (in no particular order): Italian, Russian, Polish, French, Esperanto. The reason I haven't done these yet is because I have to work through the list quite methodically, I need to learn them one at a time, so therefore I need to wait for the others. Romanian was my real "dream" language, which is why I moved it to the front of the queue and I started learning it a few weeks ago.

BartoG
Diglot
United States
confession
Joined 5246 days ago

292 posts - 818 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Latin, Uzbek

Message 16 of 34
07 August 2010 at 7:55pm | IP Logged 
Current languages:
French, Spanish, Italian, Uzbek

Dream languages:
Vedic Sanskrit: I'm not sure anyone truly knows this; I'd love to read the Rig Veda with an eye to understanding, not just deciphering
Avestan: to read the source texts for Zoroastrianism
Old Norse: To read the Sagas, and maybe compose one of my own
Latin & Greek: Homer and Ovid

I've always had a fascination with old myths and religions and have picked through bits and pieces of extensively annotated source texts in all these languages. But I'd really like to be able to come face to face with them, to get a better sense of just what man was thinking at the earliest times that different civilizations started writing things down.

The closest I have to a dream language that I'm studying is Uzbek; I love the pop music and a grounding in Uzbek shows the way to the older Turkic texts. I am maintaining French, which I learned for Hugo and using Spanish for daily life and Borges and Italian for Dante. I will keep coming back to my dream languages as I find the time, but for the moment, maintaining French and Spanish serves practical interests that my dream languages won't unless I can get a grant to be a Living Repository of Ancient Wisdom or some such thing (I should look around, there's got to be a university department somewhere that needs one, no?).

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version