Joined 5593 days ago

636 posts - 708 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, FrenchC1, English, Italian, Spanish
Studies: German, Japanese, Hungarian, Sanskrit, Portuguese, Turkish, Mandarin
Studies: Ancient Greek, Hindi

Message 1 of 74
16 January 2009 at 7:46am | IP Logged 
Current situation:
French: my strongest target language. I can discuss any subject with native speakers, read any book, understand radio, wright the messages, wright in my blog.
But my pronunciation is not perfect, I often use a dictionary when I wright.
English:the most important language for my scientific career. I can discuss my professional subjects but I have difficulty discussing common subjects because of passivity of my vocabulary and grammar skill. I understand completely scientific articles and mostly novels. I can wright scientific articles and projects in collaboration with stronger colleges correcting me.
Spanish. I understand perfectly the songs, mostly the novels. Can keep easy conversation
Italian. I can read the novels without the dictionary, can ask basic question
In different periods of my life I was studying more or less regularly Japanese, Mandarin, German. Listening to audio-courses and reading parallel texts. I have some passive vocabulary in each.
I was trying to read parallel texts in Swedish, Dutch, Danish, Arabic, Hebrew, Sanskrit, Greek.
It fascinate me to find some sense in the text in some "unbeleavable" language.
And I really enjoy reading! My dream is to be able read any book I want in original.
And I like to listening the sounds of different languages. I was listening to audio-courses in Danish, Finnish, Dutch, Norwegian, Greek, Arabic. And I like also seeing the movies with French or English subtitles in any languages.
And I adore the diversity. So its was very rare when I be able to concentrate myself on one or two languages.
So the most of my languages studying/flirting was passive (listening, reading). Except the languages I really need in real life: French (I live in France actually) and English, and a little bit Spanish and Italian.
GOALS
English. Fluency improving. Spend more time speaking. Do back translation or /and shadowing
French. Going to native-like fluency. Wright more in my blog. When speaking trying to make some more complicated sentences. Make more attention for pronunciation
Spanish and Italian. attempt upperintermediat /basic level; read more
German. Attempt intermediate level, be able to read without dictionary and to converse
Japanese. Attempt intermediate level, be able to read with dictionary.
I am not sure about another languages. I think I'll continue reading (parallel texts mostly)
1 person has voted this message useful

Anya
Pentaglot
France
Joined 5593 days ago

636 posts - 708 votes 

Message 2 of 74
20 January 2009 at 7:48am | IP Logged 
First 5 days of TAC
English. Conversations with colleges (not native speakers, by speaking English quite well). I have still the tendency to recompense vocabulary weakness/passivity by French worlds for example I can said "rest" instead of "remain". Only one time doing back-translation (30 min).
French. Conversations. Radio 10 min per day every day. 2 one-page texts written (supposed to be posted in my blog, but the better I think is to do some righting in lang8.com)
Spanish. Lot of song (near all the days). Perhaps it seems stupid but listening favorite songs can really help to keep in mind some useful formulas, verb conjugation forms. 2 time I was listening radio news and was surprised: I understand near all.
Italian. Reviving basic vocabulary/grammar listening to CD with useful phrases (20 min). But this kind of activity annoy me quick.2 hours of opera listening. 30 reading anecdotes with detailed translation (25 pages; 16 aloud).
German. Listening to radio (20 min per day every day). I can pick some worlds frequently repeated, the most bright example is "Stau", and check them in th dictionary.
Japanese. Dealing with "Read real Japanese". Every day 2 pages per day. There are short stories written by modern Japanese writers, with phrase by phrase translation to English. Firstly I have a look on original text and after that analyze translation. It's difficult, perhaps I'll try something more easy.
Mandarin. Revising basic ideograms and "pinyin" (by French "Methode 90") 40 min in total.
Hungarian. Reading/Listening simultaneously to Assimil CD 40 min (one time).
Finnish. Reading/Listening to text-book. Start "Tulittikuja Lainaamassa" - a half of page. It's a real challenge because I have no parallel text and I never read this book before.40 min (one time).

Marj
United States
Joined 6366 days ago

257 posts - 283 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, French

Message 3 of 74
20 January 2009 at 9:55am | IP Logged 
Good luck on your challenge, sounds like you are really busy with your language learning!
If you don't mind a small correction in your English--the correct term is write or writing, not wright or righting. The sounds are the same, it is just the spelling/meaning that is incorrect.
Once again, good luck on your challenge.

Anya
Pentaglot
France
Joined 5593 days ago

636 posts - 708 votes 

Message 4 of 74
20 January 2009 at 11:37am | IP Logged 
Thank you, Marj
I'll be happy if native speakers correct my English

Anya
Pentaglot
France
Joined 5593 days ago

636 posts - 708 votes 

Message 5 of 74
25 January 2009 at 11:02am | IP Logged 
6-10 TAC days
English. 2 days of colloquium assisting so listening a lot. Unfortunately the speakers are not native and their English sometimes was not good at all. 45 min in total of back-translating.
French. Conversations. Radio (shadowing a little). Continue reading of "Chartreuse de Parme" started last year (about 30 pages; 5 aloud).
Spanish. Songs only.
Italian. I was listening to Italian colleges conversation and have realise I understand a lot.
Japanese. Learning/revising ideograms with Assimil"Japonais sans pein: écriture des kanji". 1,5 hour in total.About 30 ideograms learned, the most of them I already know passively.
German. Radio only.
Mandarin. Restarting Assimil (to increase the challenge and to have more fun I use Assimil not in French but in Dutch). Unit 1-2 reading.
Hungarian. Assimil phonetics and unit 1-5 reading. 1 hour in total.
Finnish. Textbook unit 1 reading and vocabulary study. 30 min
Sanskrit. Grammar study from textbook. 30 min

Anya
Pentaglot
France
Joined 5593 days ago

636 posts - 708 votes 

Message 6 of 74
30 January 2009 at 12:24pm | IP Logged 
11-15 TAC days
General observation: Multi-language log.
I have seen Iversen's log and admired the idea of multi-language log. I always dream about! A couple of years ago I had a good habit to note about the books I have read: in the language of the book. So I've had a lot of notes in French (Zola, Balzac), some Spanish (Marques, Alliende), English, Italian...I'll try to do something "multi" in my log.
English. Seeing the film "Frida" (30 min). Keep speaking and reading professional stuff in Internet.
French. "La chartreuse" (12 pages; 3 aloud). Radio (shadowing) 5 min per day. Conversations.
J'ai regardé une N-ème fois "Les fugitifs" et je ne me fatigue pas de mourir de rire. J'écoute la radio chaque matin. L'information la plus intéressante: les vaches, quand ils ont les prénoms, donnent plus du lait!
Spanish. Escuchando las canciones...
Italian. I start "Vita" Cellini, Introduction (26 pages). Opera (30 min)
Ho parlato della Opera e ho avuto la conferma della idea: cantare e megliore modo di affinare la pronuncia. Stamattina ascoltavo la radio, penso che era una transmissione religiosa.
Japanese. 10 kanji.
German. "Das Glasperlenspiel": CD hören und Text ansehen. 2 Seite mit parallel Text gelesen (1 Stunde).
Mandarin. "Chinees zonder moeite" Les 3
Finnish. Opiskolen oppitunti 2.
Hungarian. "Assimil" listening (30 min).
Sanskrit. "Panchatantra" parallel text and grammar study (30 min)

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6503 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 74
31 January 2009 at 4:39am | IP Logged 
Anya wrote:
I have seen Iversen's log and admired the idea of multi-language log. I always dream about! A couple of years ago I had a good habit to note about the books I have read: in the language of the book. So I've had a lot of notes in French (Zola, Balzac), some Spanish (Marques, Allende), English, Italian...I'll try to do something "multi" in my log.

Good idea ... I see forward to reading some of those notes here in your log thread

Anya
Pentaglot
France
Joined 5593 days ago

636 posts - 708 votes 

Message 8 of 74
06 February 2009 at 7:18am | IP Logged 
15-22 TAC days
General observation. Mostly my brain is busy with Italian, I am trying to speak - no always sucsessfully but at least it's a start of some "active" using of the language.
English. Next week I'll assist the courses "Effective writing and oral presentation in life science". I should prepare the presentation on my scientific work and I'am thinking about it.
French. Je continue "La chartreuse" (18 page; 3 à haut voix). J'écoute la radio chaque matin, parfois avec un peu de "shadowing". Rien de special au niveau des conversation.
Spanish. No tengo mas derecho d'escribir: estudio escuchando las canciones. Pero canciones no me faltan. Tengo ganas de leer algunos autores modernos. Año pasado leyo Javier Marias "Corazón tan blanco". Héroe es interprete, el viene de casarse. Refleja sobre los matrimonios del padre, la muerte de la esposa antigua del padre y al fin descubre el crimen.
Hay reflexiones interesantes sobre el crimen y el peso del conocimiento.
Japanese. 10 kanji. Seeing Kurosava's "Idoit" (about 1h) with French subtitres. I can recognize some worlds (like "mata"-again, "ima"-now, "wacarimasen" I don't understand).
Mandarin. "Chinees zonder moeite" Les 4

This discussion contains 74 messages over 10 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version