Diglot
Brazil
Joined 5619 days ago

215 posts - 224 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 57 of 78
17 May 2009 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
Well, from a entirely personal point of view, I completely dislike that kind of thing. I have no hope of ever leaving Brazil therefore I really have no use learning how to ask directions and what not.

But I understand it's a lost cause. Most people WANT to be able to buy a cofee and ask directions...
1 person has voted this message useful

Rout
Diglot
United States
Joined 5508 days ago

326 posts - 417 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish
Studies: Hindi

Message 58 of 78
17 May 2009 at 7:47pm | IP Logged 
Well, I guess it would depend on if you're a serious learner or not. One with patience would realize that with a good course he is going to learn everything he needs to know in due time.

blindside70
United States
polymathisthegoal.co
Joined 5557 days ago

24 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Polish, German, French

Message 59 of 78
17 May 2009 at 7:54pm | IP Logged 
Satoshi wrote:
I have no hope of ever leaving Brazil therefore .

Did they chain you to the ground over there or what? No hope is scary...
2 persons have voted this message useful

danieldesu
Diglot
United States
Joined 5472 days ago

15 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 60 of 78
18 May 2009 at 8:21am | IP Logged 
First of all, I also support the idea of robustness: I should be understanding native material when I am done (to a reasonable extent). Also, tons of audio! Two CDs is about 140 minutes. That is completely unacceptable. In the day of MP3s, DVDs, and 1TB hard drives, we should be getting 100 hours, and if there is no English, that makes it even more efficient.

However, to achieve necessary vocab levels of 4000-5000 words or so, you cannot cheat like many textbooks do. A one word translation is not sufficient. Consider the following examples. Which one gives you more meaning and associations with which to remember a word?:
ちかてつ    地下鉄    subway

or

ちかてつ    地下鉄    subway:
Kanji:
地: ground or earth (notice the 土 primitive which carries the meaning of soil)
下, meaning below, and
鉄, showing the primitive for metal 金, and meaning iron.
In this case, 鉄 is an abbreviation of 鉄道(てつどう): literally "iron road", or railroad, so the whole word translated literally would mean "railroad below the ground."
Adding で can mean "on the subway" or "by subway" depending on context. For example, "地下鉄で携帯は禁止になった": "Cellphones have become banned on the subway" and "地下鉄で会社に行きます": "To go to work by subway." However, to "ride the subway," the particle に is used (as is always the case with the verb "to ride": "乗る"). For example: "パリの地下鉄に乗るなら": "In the case that you are riding Paris' subway"

So, in my example (which obviously takes up more space- but this shouldn't be a problem with a more dense format), we don't just get a word, we get a breakdown, some extra knowledge about it, example sentences/phrases (and thus collocations), practice with additional words, and kanji practice. Other useful stuff that might be useful would be info about how common a word is, and what situations a person might actually use the word.

My other complaint about current textbooks is that the stuff is too dry. We want to learn, so why not throw in cool and random knowledge about the language as you go? This not only makes it easier to swallow, but also enhances our ability to retain the stuff we read. Why not talk about how word X sounds almost the same in Cantonese as it does in Japanese, and how before adopting the Chinese word, Japanese had a native word Y which now is used mostly in spoken language, whereas X is seen in formal documents? Why not mention famous quotes that used this word or that word?

Finally, I personally don't think we should start right off with dialogues. This is not the natural pattern of acquisition (if there is such a thing). I think going into sentences too soon leads to unnaturally simplistic sentences, and the tendency for people to talk like textbooks. Why do I learn how to say, "This is a cat" before I learn how to say "black cat"? Also, I believe filler words and "natural sounding language" should be given just as much attention and be addressed just as early on as "proper language." Just make it so that the most simple natural sounding phrases come first, as opposed to current language courses, where they teach simple grammar patterns first, and give us complicated expressions using only these patterns (which is unnatural).

Thomas_DC
Triglot
Groupie
Denmark
Joined 5570 days ago

58 posts - 65 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, English, French
Studies: German, Arabic (Written)

Message 61 of 78
24 May 2009 at 8:36am | IP Logged 
Just a minor thing, but symmetry in the bilingual texts would be helpful. With assimil, I spend a few seconds finding the sentence with the corresponding number, and especially while shadowing, these seconds mean a great deal. - If the two bilingual pages could be symmetric in layout, it would be much easier to find the corresponding sentence. I know it is a luxury problem though, and I am not sure that others agree with me.

Rout
Diglot
United States
Joined 5508 days ago

326 posts - 417 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish
Studies: Hindi

Message 62 of 78
24 May 2009 at 8:45am | IP Logged 
Thomas_DC wrote:
Just a minor thing, but symmetry in the bilingual texts would be helpful. With assimil, I spend a few seconds finding the sentence with the corresponding number, and especially while shadowing, these seconds mean a great deal. - If the two bilingual pages could be symmetric in layout, it would be much easier to find the corresponding sentence. I know it is a luxury problem though, and I am not sure that others agree with me.

Thomas, if you're talking about how the older Assimils don't line up like the newer ones (instead they're compressed to make room for drawings and grammar notes which are also nice), then yes, I definitely agree with you; it is a big problem.

Jerrod Rout

Edited by Rout on 24 May 2009 at 8:46am

delta910
Diglot
United States
Joined 5671 days ago

267 posts - 313 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, German

Message 63 of 78
31 May 2009 at 6:18am | IP Logged 
I would just like more dialogs(bilingual texts) in each lesson with supporting audio to go with those dialogs(native speakers of course). Also, I would like to have a lot of vocabulary to be taught throughout the entire course. I really don't like it that some courses only hit some 500-1500ish words. Maybe the course could have some 2000-3000 words. For the grammar, keep it short,sweet, and to the point(many courses like to make the grammar notes obscure). I skim over the grammar to get a general idea of how the language works. I basically listen and read and learn the grammar that way, but I do like to look over grammar notes if I am really confused on what is going on. For drills, I'm not a fan of drills but if I had to do some, do translation drills. The main focus should be on loads of input.
2 persons have voted this message useful

mrhenrik
Triglot
Norway
Joined 5875 days ago

482 posts - 658 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, French
Personal Language Map

Message 64 of 78
05 July 2009 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
This sounds great professor, hopefully you'll be able to go through with it. I'll be a valued customer. ;-)

Noting a comment made by a user a few pages back - availability technologically is important to me as a customer. For instance, I don't purchase films anymore because of the impractical delivery on DVDs which is a hassle to view on my computer, and the copying of the files from the DVD to my computer is an even bigger hassle. The time taken for this and ending up with a DVD quality file is much longer than the time spent going to a torrent site, downloading the movie and ending up with a HD quality file.

Similiarily, I haven't purchased a music CD in half a decade, but I recently became an honest (and very happy) consumer following the launch of Spotify, which made my listening experience easier than when downloading the files illegally.

My point is, in a market where people are able to acquire your course material illegally and for free no matter what measures you take to prevent it, I hope you take a reflected approach to it by providing the honest consumer a better product than what they can acquire online for free.

For instance, memory sticks are practically free these days. Include all the audio on your course on a memory stick in MP3 format. This way, the contents can easily be transferred to iPods, MP3 players and burnt on CDs at the consumer's discretion. You could also add CDs with the course as traditionally done, but with the simple addition of a memory stick with the same content you're also appealing to the younger group of language learners like myself.

Other things you can do to encourage people to purchase your product is for instance to give a username and password to a lernu-ish website with games and activities in the language they are learning.

Everything else I would've said seems to be said in the other posts in regards to the courses, so I'll just add that I agree with the previous posts and cut it here.

Henrik Hildre

Edited by mrhenrik on 05 July 2009 at 3:57pm

This discussion contains 78 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version