Joined 6227 days ago

166 posts - 168 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese
Studies: Italian, Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin

Message 81 of 92
26 April 2009 at 5:21pm | IP Logged 
zxxxz wrote:
Kleberson wrote:
... I didn't bother too much with the audio.

Wow! You didn't listen to or use the audio... but you still felt like posting "Assimil a load of rubbish"?

You may note that the thread title was a *question*, hence the "Assimil a load of rubbish??" (note the two question marks [?] *inside* the speech marks. I'll agree with anyone who suggests that the structure of my question was/is awful, however.

Thanks for all your posts and suggestions.

Cheers!
1 person has voted this message useful

zxxxz
Diglot
United States
Joined 6284 days ago

25 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Italian

Message 82 of 92
27 April 2009 at 10:50am | IP Logged 
Kleberson wrote:
zxxxz wrote:
Kleberson wrote:

Wow! You didn't listen to or use the audio... but you still felt like posting "Assimil a load of rubbish"?

You may note that the thread title was a *question*, hence the "Assimil a load of rubbish??" (note the two question marks [?] *inside* the speech marks. I'll agree with anyone who suggests that the structure of my question was/is awful, however.

Cheers!

No I just realized that this thread went on for three pages...advise here...argument there...and in the end you didn't even use the audio.

The audio in an Assimil course is not merely a minor aside. It IS the course as is the parallel text.

I am not criticizing your thread; I'm not indifferent to your frustration; and I am not making any unsolicited suggestions.

What I am saying is your approach was flawed from the start. It is unbelievable that you expected to be able to converse in your target language from merely memorizing text.

I'm not being argumentative but this is a mistake you should not have made.

I
Wales
Joined 5513 days ago

14 posts - 14 votes

Message 83 of 92
27 April 2009 at 11:02am | IP Logged 
Kleberson wrote:
I wrote:
Hello,

I joined the forums because of this question. I felt compelled to answer it. I too have used the same method as you have. I too felt that it didn't work, simply because I couldn't watch TV or understand radio broadcasts. The difference, however, is that when I went to the target language country I got by tremendously well. I'm not sure why you didn't. Maybe it's because you went to a part of Italy where the dialect is very different to the standard Italian? I have used Assimil Italian exstensivly for 3 years, using ONLY Assimil Italian and I can go to Italy [Siena] and actually have a lovely conversation with someone. I feel drilling the Assimil courses this way is very beneficial. Maybe you haven't used the audio enough either?

Just a thought.

Really? I went to Bari. While all the sentences have come to be second nature to me, I didn't bother too much with the audio. Could this be the reason? OR is it because Bari use a different dialect?

I don't think he said he didn't use the audio, just not much.

I think you should use the audio for as many (if not many more) hours then it took you to learn the sentences.

Jimmymac
United Kingdom
strange-lands.com/le
Joined 5962 days ago

276 posts - 362 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, French

Message 84 of 92
27 April 2009 at 11:04am | IP Logged 
zxxxz wrote:
Kleberson wrote:
zxxxz wrote:
Kleberson wrote:

Cheers!

No I just realized that this thread went on for three pages...advise here...argument there...and in the end you didn't even use the audio.

The audio in an Assimil course is not merely a minor aside. It IS the course as is the parallel text.

I am not criticizing your thread; I'm not indifferent to your frustration; and I am not making any unsolicited suggestions.

What I am saying is your approach was flawed from the start. It is unbelievable that you expected to be able to converse in your target language from merely memorizing text.

I couldn't agree more. I can't believe you were willing to judge a course so poorly considering the fact that you missed one of the most important aspects of it and haven't even finished it.

Kleberson
Diglot
Great Britain
Joined 6227 days ago

166 posts - 168 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese
Studies: Italian, Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin

Message 85 of 92
27 April 2009 at 12:04pm | IP Logged 
Jimmymac wrote:
zxxxz wrote:
Kleberson wrote:
zxxxz wrote:
Kleberson wrote:

Cheers!

I couldn't agree more. I can't believe you were willing to judge a course so poorly considering the fact that you missed one of the most important aspects of it and haven't even finished it.

If you took the time to read the entire thread, you'll note that I stated that using the Assimil method did NOTHING in the way of helping me. Many others have also stated the same.

Please inform me how the Assimil method is more productive than drilling the sentences. Although I have not grasped a basic fluency in the language, I have learned a damn sight more through drilling the course than using the Assimil way.

As for not listening to the audio, pay attention more and you'll note that I said *much*. By "much", I mean I listened to each audio lesson for 60-90 minutes total before learning the sentences. I'm aware that this was probably not enough, and I take the comment about that on board.

As for judging the course harshly, it is merely my opinion, and I'm sure others agree.

Edited by Kleberson on 27 April 2009 at 12:07pm

9xKx9-9xKx9
United Kingdom
Joined 5762 days ago

13 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: Spanish

Message 86 of 92
27 April 2009 at 12:14pm | IP Logged 
Kleberson wrote:
Jimmymac wrote:
zxxxz wrote:
Kleberson wrote:
zxxxz wrote:
Kleberson wrote:

Cheers!

If you took the time to read the entire thread, you'll note that I stated that using the Assimil method did NOTHING in the way of helping me. Many others have also stated the same.

Please inform me how the Assimil method is more productive than drilling the sentences. Although I have not grasped a basic fluency in the language, I have learned a damn sight more through drilling the course than using the Assimil way.

As for not listening to the audio, pay attention more and you'll note that I said *much*. By "much", I mean I listened to each audio lesson for 60-90 minutes total before learning the sentences. I'm aware that this was probably not enough, and I take the comment about that on board.

As for judging the course harshly, it is merely my opinion, and I'm sure others agree.

Agreed. Thumbs up Klebersen.
Assimil IMHO is not a good way for me to learn a language.
Even the Forum Administrator doesn't think too highly of it.
Some people can't accept opinions.

Edited by 9xKx9-9xKx9 on 27 April 2009 at 12:20pm

Betjeman
Groupie
Germany
Joined 5952 days ago

85 posts - 204 votes 
Speaks: German*

Message 87 of 92
27 April 2009 at 12:29pm | IP Logged 

Kleberson, when you write after pages and pages of advice, "Although I have not grasped a basic fluency in the language, I have learned a damn sight more through drilling the course than using the Assimil way" you have understood nothing at all about language acquisition, and any further word is wasted.

9xKx9-9xKx9
United Kingdom
Joined 5762 days ago

13 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: Spanish

Message 88 of 92
27 April 2009 at 12:46pm | IP Logged 
Betjeman wrote:

Kleberson, when you write after pages and pages of advice, "Although I have not grasped a basic fluency in the language, I have learned a damn sight more through drilling the course than using the Assimil way" you have understood nothing at all about language acquisition, and any further word is wasted.

I fail to see your point. Are you saying that people shouldn't dislike Assimil?
And that people who do not use Assimil have failed to grasp how to learn a language?
I also get the impression that you're suggesting drilling doesn't work,
that being the case, why do so many people have success with the likes of FSI?

This discussion contains 92 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version