92 messages over 12 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12
I
Wales
Joined 5513 days ago

14 posts - 14 votes

Message 89 of 92
27 April 2009 at 1:15pm | IP Logged 
I think zxxxz is largely correct.

I like assimil, but I do not like the method. I like using the text in the Sentence Method instead.

I think assimil can be used by anyone in ANY way. The method works for some, and not for others.

I think what Betjemen means is that Kleberson has failed to grasp how to use assimil properly. I know how to use assimil properly, but I personally don't like it.

1 person has voted this message useful

Kleberson
Diglot
Great Britain
Joined 6227 days ago

166 posts - 168 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese
Studies: Italian, Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin

Message 90 of 92
27 April 2009 at 1:47pm | IP Logged 
Ok, I take all the comments on board. I'll try using the audio a lot more with the addition of trying native material.

Thanks for all your help and advice.

zxxxz
Diglot
United States
Joined 6284 days ago

25 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Italian

Message 91 of 92
28 April 2009 at 6:16am | IP Logged 
Kleberson wrote:
Ok, I take all the comments on board. I'll try using the audio a lot more with the addition of trying native material.

Thanks for all your help and advice.

First whether Assimil is beneficial to someone or not is not specifically relevant to what I am trying to convey.

Assimil is simply material... parallel text material and audio that corresponds to that text.

Neither you nor anyone else needs to specifically use Assimil. If you can find quality parallel text with corresponding audio elsewhere you can use that as well.

Fluent French Audio is an example of material you can use. For my beginner ear the Fluent French Audio interviews just flew by my virgin ear and the translation was not direct word for word...it was like "fuzzy logic". But that's how people speak!!!

If you were a beginner in English and you were reading my post and attempting to translate "fuzzy logic" into your native tongue you would lose the meaning. Subsequently if you then attempt to apply your newly learned word "fuzzy" in other situations you will find it was a waste of time to have been so literal and so lacking of context in your assimilation... and you may end up frustrated.

Assimil is audio and text on a level that allows you to fine tune your ear if you make yourself struggle a bit with the audio alone. For instance with Assimil French I remember hearing "rendre" several times and it didn't really fit, but my struggle with it allowed me to note when I reread the text that it was "rendre en".. so when I relistened to the audio I heard "rendre en" instead of "rendre" and it both made sense to me and liberated my ear to pick up on further nuances.

Becoming familiar with the nuance and the fuzzy allowed me to eventually access the material in "Fluent French Audio" interviews and yes interact with native speakers as well.

Kleb, if Assimil is not to your liking please by all means find something else that suites you.

But for the most part on this forum we are far more advanced in our understanding of language acquisition then those that market and instruct beginners on how they should use their material.

By now we should understand that the instructions on effective ways to use all language learning material are to be found on this forum and other places, NOT in the first page of the material itself.

To criticize any material on that basis says more about the critic then it does about the material.

Kugel
United States
Joined 6347 days ago

497 posts - 555 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 92 of 92
28 April 2009 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
Perhaps if Assimil expanded the notes like Linguaphone, then there would be less room for induction, which I think is what the nay-sayers of Assimil are stressing about. Linguaphone isn't perfect, and I think the cost is insane, but I think it's superior due to the more detailed grammar explanations. The listening comprehension, by the way, is great for both Assimil and Linguaphone; and in addition, so is the shadowing/echoing. I don't think anyone is against Assimil/Linguaphone for these particular reasons.

There is nothing wrong with induction by itself, but when the conclusion extends further than it's warranted, then there are going to be misconceptions. Thus, it would be almost like guessing when forming your own sentences that are based off of Assimil's, not knowing whether or not if that particular Assimil sentence structure/grammar point extends far enough for what you want to say.

Edited by Kugel on 28 April 2009 at 8:24pm

This discussion contains 92 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version