United States
Joined 6137 days ago

39 posts - 51 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 49 of 92
09 April 2009 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
JuanM wrote:
So I can learn 20 phrases and call myself fluent?

Fluency must imply not only effortless expression, but range and depth too.
In casual use, I suppose, fluency can mean anything you want. But in the world of language teaching and study there are levels that are testable.

For the US gov't levels see http://web.archive.org/web/20071030055051/www.govtilr.org/IL Rscale2.htm

For language proficiency measured by American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) see http://www.languagetesting.com/assessments_academic.cfm

Edited by mike789 on 09 April 2009 at 9:38pm

1 person has voted this message useful

LtM
Triglot
United States
Joined 5670 days ago

130 posts - 223 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 50 of 92
10 April 2009 at 4:25am | IP Logged 
The guy who used to publish "Fluent French" magazine described fluency as follows:

"It's when there is a direct connection between the idea or mental image you want to express and the tongue and lip movements you need to make to express that idea. In other words, there is no passing through the intellectual side of your mind to do some translating, but rather a direct connection between the idea and the muscles that control your vocal output."

This is a pretty rigorous definition of fluency, but it makes sense to me. I know exactly what goes on in my mind when I speak Spanish, for example. Even when other people say that I sound fluent, I know that I'm still sometimes double-checking the subjunctive ending of a verb right before I use it. It's fast enough that there is no lag in my speaking, but as far as I'm concerned, if my brain is doing an occasional rapid-fire conjugation to make sure I've got it right, I'm not yet where I want to be in terms of "fluency".

andee
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 6887 days ago

681 posts - 724 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Korean, French

Message 51 of 92
10 April 2009 at 5:29am | IP Logged 
fanatic wrote:
What I like about Assimil courses.

1. The courses are entirely in the target language. When I listen to half an hour of an Assimil course it is the equivalent of listening for three or four hours to a course with a teaching language.

As I listen to the audio I hear stories, jokes and explanations of life and culture of the language group I am learning. I don't translate what I hear to my own language. I think in the target language. Assimil courses encourage this.

Other courses do this as well and vary in quality. My Russian For Everybody is entirely in Russian and has humour and plenty about Russians and Russia. Mowimy po polsku is recorded entirely in Polish but it is not the common spoken language but it has a continuing story.

2. The lessons are short and broken up into easy chunks for a day's study. I generally spent less than half an hour a day learning German and, as I have written elsewhere, I was holding conversations in about six weeks. Because the lessons are short it is easy to revise each lesson four or five times in a day. Each lesson introduces around 25 to 30 words. My French Assimil book had 140 lessons and my German book has 100. This gives a vocabulary of around 2,500 to 4,000 words. This is a healthy starting vocabulary.

3. The lessons are interesting and full of humour. And they employ the common spoken language to begin mixed with more formal language as you progress. I have never found it hard work to learn from an Assimil course.

4. I like the passive learning approach before you commit anything to memory. That is why I find that committing whole conversations and whole lessons to memory to be defeating the purpose. You read the lesson and play the audio until you understand it. With each revision the new information and vocabulary passes into the permanent memory. The passive learning approach takes away any stress of having to learn or master new material and vocabulary. I don't commit grammar to memory. I just get used to correct usage in the same way I did with English.

Exactly!

I previously used Linguaphone courses and had never heard of Assimil until I found this forum some years ago, and from there I managed to get my hands on a copy to see what the fuss was about. Now I own courses in Japanese, Spanish, French, Italian, German, Korean (the poorest imo), and Polish.

I find Assimil more interesting than Linguaphone, but both are similar in nature. And certain courses are better from one publisher than the other; for instance, the Korean Assimil course I wouldn't recommend to anyone unless they basically only wanted some extra audio. Honestly, none of the single courses alone have taken me to fluency, but the fact that I can persist with them and not become bored out of my mind as with something like FSI, goes a long way. I can't even survive one unit of FSI in comparison; I would rather eat glass :P

But that's just my opinion. As is obvious, different people learn more effectively with different methods. Some will never learn efficiently through Assimil because of it appearing shallow in nature, being largely auditory in delivery, etc. In comparison, FSI courses are the typical textbook - lots of writing and drills you in submission. I'm not discounting FSI, because I do actually use substition drills myself; if not from FSI themselves, then from other sources. But if I were to choose between the two methods I would always choose Assimil/Linguaphone over FSI (or most others; as certain independent books are very good, such as Mowimy po Polsku for Polish.. I also like Genki for Japanese but that needs a lot of audio editing before it gets to a workable stage for me).

And while I said, a course alone hasn't taken me to fluency, I can see how it can. If you are taken to a conversational stage you can effectively study through conversation and exposure (almost) alone. I rarely study Korean these days, and mostly just converse, asking for clarification on things when it's needed. I still consider myself nowhere near fluent, but I would say 5 years ago my standard for fluency was a lot lower than it is now.. it's something that is totally subjective in my eyes with the exclusion of "being able to say what you want for your needs". When my needs changed, my idea of fluency changed with it.

Maestro
Groupie
Chile
Joined 5681 days ago

40 posts - 40 votes

Message 52 of 92
10 April 2009 at 9:41am | IP Logged 
LtM wrote:

"It's when there is a direct connection between the idea or mental image you want to express and the tongue and lip movements you need to make to express that idea. In other words, there is no passing through the intellectual side of your mind to do some translating, but rather a direct connection between the idea and the muscles that control your vocal output."

I don't need to translate anything nor to consciously think about any endings or conjugations when I speak French, but I don't call myself fluent yet, since I can use only simple French

Edited by Maestro on 10 April 2009 at 9:42am

icing_death
United States
Joined 5671 days ago

296 posts - 302 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 53 of 92
11 April 2009 at 8:50am | IP Logged 
jimbo baby! wrote:
I feel a bit skeptical about anyone saying they can become fluent in a language just by
completeing one course.

You ought to pay attention to who is making the statement. If you read some of fanatic's posts, you might see why
many members consider him to be a phenomenal language learner. I interpreted his statement to mean he didn't
need any other course work after Assimil.

Edited by icing_death on 12 April 2009 at 3:56am

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6485 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 54 of 92
11 April 2009 at 10:33am | IP Logged 
icing_death wrote:
jimbo baby! wrote:
I feel a bit skeptical about anyone saying they can become fluent in a language just by
completeing one course.

You ought to pay attention to who is making the statement. If you read some of fanatic's posts, you might see why
many members consider him to be a phenomenal language learner. I interpreted his statement to mean he didn't

If Fanatic is a phenomenal language learner, his personal experience is useless for most of us. We need to learn from the average Joe who has succeeded in his target language.

Edited by slucido on 11 April 2009 at 10:34am

Kleberson
Diglot
Great Britain
Joined 6228 days ago

166 posts - 168 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese
Studies: Italian, Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin

Message 55 of 92
11 April 2009 at 3:52pm | IP Logged 
slucido wrote:
icing_death wrote:
jimbo baby! wrote:
completeing one course.

If Fanatic is a phenomenal language learner, his personal experience is useless for most of us. We need to learn from the average Joe who has succeeded in his target language.

Very very true indeed.

I'm just going to have to keep experimenting because I'm quite obviously nowhere near phenomenal.

All the best!

Kleberson
Diglot
Great Britain
Joined 6228 days ago

166 posts - 168 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese
Studies: Italian, Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin

Message 56 of 92
11 April 2009 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
9xKx9-9xKx9 wrote:
If no language course takes one to fluency, then why do so many claim that Platiquemos and other FSI type courses will get you to fluency? Or are these false claims too?

I thought FSI allowed a person to get to at least Basic fluency?

This discussion contains 92 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version